Page 505 of 901 FirstFirst ... 5405455495503504505506507515555605 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,050 of 9003

Thread: Funny CW moments page 505

Linny is offline Senior Member
    I didn't click the link, but read an article the other day about it. It helps the person lose on average 5% of their total weight! Only 5%! I remember when I did Atkins years ago and the rule of thumb was you would lose 10% of your starting body weight in the first 2-4 weeks alone and I know it held true for most people.
    Last edited by Linny; 06-29-2012 at 07:58 AM.

SentWest is offline Member
    Went to the Sunflower Market today to get me some fish oil and nitrate-free bacon. I am overweight, but the older woman in front of me in line was objectively obese. Somehow she and the Teenage Checker got talking about doctors:

TC - Yeah, doctors don't cure anything, they just give you lots of pills.
    Lady - Oh, I know. I pay $200.00 a month for all my medications.*

* While purchasing a what appeared to be a whole wheat doughnut and a frosted cake.

I so wanted to headdesk right there. I did have to shoot my mouth off about the broad-stroke doctor bashing and interjected that if not for modern medicine I'd have died of appendicitis eight years ago. Oh well.

WIChuck is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    People have been trained to think that the reason their "healthy" diet isn't working is because they are just personally flawed in some way, whether biologically, or because of insufficient willpower.
    This can't be said enough. I know so many people who feel like they are morally or psychologically flawed people because they are overweight. Obesity is not a moral, psychological or willpower issue, it's an issue of eating the wrong things.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WIChuck View Post
    This can't be said enough. I know so many people who feel like they are morally or psychologically flawed people because they are overweight. Obesity is not a moral, psychological or willpower issue, it's an issue of eating the wrong things.
    my 8th grade science teacher Mr Weiler told us one day that everyone has a "set" weight and that their body will strive for that weight no matter what. i just figured mine was overweight :C until I lost hella weight

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    my 8th grade science teacher Mr Weiler told us one day that everyone has a "set" weight and that their body will strive for that weight no matter what. i just figured mine was overweight :C until I lost hella weight
    That's exactly what I always thought too. That I was just fat for life and that's just where my body settled. Because nothing ever made me lose weight, and I had PCOS, so I figured I was just a lost cause.

It's funny that what is making me lose weight effortlessly is also curing my hormonal problems. And I just found out yesterday that I am allergic to wheat. I had NO IDEA. I ate wheat my whole life because it's "good for you". And here I find out it was probably causing every health problem I've ever had (of which there have been a significant amount).

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Gravyboat, I am glad you are finding the answers to your questions and healing your body! It has not been proven yet, or I don't know that it has, but it seems that at least two thirds of all women with PCOS are gluten intolerant. I have PCOS myself and even though wheat has never given me any marked gastrointestinal symptoms, my PCOS complaints and symptoms began receding when I went on a lower-carb diet. I have not been tested for celiac disease, but have been avoiding wheat since I went primal and I have seen further improvements. And as for weight loss, especially in a woman with PCOS, it just makes perfect sense to cut down on carbs (not everyone would need to be on a VLC diet, but cutting down on the amounts certainly helps) and wheat, apart from containing gluten and gliadin and what not - all toxic stuff - is also quite carb-dense, so it is best avoided, if you have PCOS and want to lose weight. Again, congratulations on solving at least a part of the puzzle!

Quote Originally Posted by Sol y Sombra View Post
    Gravyboat, I am glad you are finding the answers to your questions and healing your body! It has not been proven yet, or I don't know that it has, but it seems that at least two thirds of all women with PCOS are gluten intolerant. I have PCOS myself and even though wheat has never given me any marked gastrointestinal symptoms, my PCOS complaints and symptoms began receding when I went on a lower-carb diet. I have not been tested for celiac disease, but have been avoiding wheat since I went primal and I have seen further improvements. And as for weight loss, especially in a woman with PCOS, it just makes perfect sense to cut down on carbs (not everyone would need to be on a VLC diet, but cutting down on the amounts certainly helps) and wheat, apart from containing gluten and gliadin and what not - all toxic stuff - is also quite carb-dense, so it is best avoided, if you have PCOS and want to lose weight. Again, congratulations on solving at least a part of the puzzle!
    Thanks. I think the iodine and other supplements may have helped a little too, but this toxin-free diet is just amazing. It has literally and truly saved my life. I was just talking in my journal the other day about how I used to not even be able to get out of bed and feed myself every day, let alone leave the house. I'm on disability because I previously lacked the ability to even care for myself, and had so little energy and so little hope (and so little insight into what was causing all my problems) that I had suicide scares a couple times a year, like clockwork. I just saw my therapist for the first time in a year and she was just blown away. She said I am a completely different person now, and not even because of the weight loss.

I attribute this to giving my body a chance to heal itself after all these years of inadvertent abuse. I know my thyroid has been able to repair itself (I don't feel as crappy and sluggish anymore), and my adrenals are repairing themselves (things that used to stress me out to the point of terror are now fine), so it makes sense that my ovaries are also repairing themselves. And every other bodily system that got trashed after years of living on red alert. I just kept feeding myself poison, and my critical day-to-day body functions kept taking the backseat to emergency functions, again and again, for years, until they all degraded to the point that I was essentially a living corpse just trying (and struggling) to survive.

I am so glad I stopped eating wheat when I did, because I don't see how I could have possibly survived any longer that way.

Also, your theory about PCOS and gluten intolerance totally makes sense to me. A doctor told me earlier this year that PCOS significantly raises your chances of having sleep apnea. I guess there have been studies proving this link. Makes sense, because before I stopped eating wheat, my whole throat and sinus area was always swollen and congested (from the inflammation from eating wheat). Which would obviously raise one's chances of not being able to breathe in one's sleep.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    Thanks. I think the iodine and other supplements may have helped a little too, but this toxin-free diet is just amazing. It has literally and truly saved my life. I was just talking in my journal the other day about how I used to not even be able to get out of bed and feed myself every day, let alone leave the house. I'm on disability because I previously lacked the ability to even care for myself, and had so little energy and so little hope (and so little insight into what was causing all my problems) that I had suicide scares a couple times a year, like clockwork. I just saw my therapist for the first time in a year and she was just blown away. She said I am a completely different person now, and not even because of the weight loss.

I attribute this to giving my body a chance to heal itself after all these years of inadvertent abuse. I know my thyroid has been able to repair itself (I don't feel as crappy and sluggish anymore), and my adrenals are repairing themselves (things that used to stress me out to the point of terror are now fine), so it makes sense that my ovaries are also repairing themselves. And every other bodily system that got trashed after years of living on red alert. I just kept feeding myself poison, and my critical day-to-day body functions kept taking the backseat to emergency functions, again and again, for years, until they all degraded to the point that I was essentially a living corpse just trying (and struggling) to survive.

I am so glad I stopped eating wheat when I did, because I don't see how I could have possibly survived any longer that way.

Also, your theory about PCOS and gluten intolerance totally makes sense to me. A doctor told me earlier this year that PCOS significantly raises your chances of having sleep apnea. I guess there have been studies proving this link. Makes sense, because before I stopped eating wheat, my whole throat and sinus area was always swollen and congested (from the inflammation from eating wheat). Which would obviously raise one's chances of not being able to breathe in one's sleep.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Aw, thanks. I think the diet deserves slowclap.gif more than I do, though.

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What you wrote is very inspirational! I hope your body can heal completely and you can enjoy life to the fullest, the way every person is supposed to when we are born! Good luck!