Page 476 of 901 FirstFirst ... 376426466474475476477478486526576 ... LastLast
Results 4,751 to 4,760 of 9007

Thread: Funny CW moments page 476

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Even when I was a kid in the 80s, it was pretty rare. If you got in trouble at school, guaranteed you were going to be in trouble at home, and no way were your folks bailing you out. Also, it was still normal in my neighbourhood to be kicked out of the house and spend the whole day running wild. I used to be covered in scrapes and bruises, and it was awesome.
    yup.. and how I am raising my daughter. The trick is to minimize anything electronic, which is sometimes easier said than done.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    If it wasn't for "luck of the draw" as far as genetics go, I would be huge.

Thanks, mom and dad.

But seriously, I can see the difference between my cravings and even the way my body handles the same food before my concussions and while I'm still healing from them. I was literally eating the very same food that had me losing weight and feeling healthy, but I started putting on pounds and barely being able to control the urge to stuff my face with crap. And sometimes I'm not really all that successful.

It's getting better, slowly but surely, but I can honestly see how someone could get into a really horrific downward spiral, especially if they have everyone encouraging them to eat whole wheat and low fat, replacing meat with soy burgers.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

karatepig is offline Member
    Many of you have referenced a teenage girl from Britain, to the point that I am very curious.But, for the life of me, I cannot find the original post she is mentioned in. Who the heck are you talking about?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the news article. HOLY SHIT, what a complete disaster of a life! And the entire article is rife with CW BS. Put that girl under my care, and I could save her life. She might even be sexy by the end of it all.
    Last edited by karatepig; 05-25-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    As for diet and exercise, I agree with what you say. And it's actually what Dr. Lustig said in one of his videos - a deranged metabolism, like for example insulin resistance, will rob the person of the energy to exercise. This is why obese children don't exercise more - they just can't, because they lack the energy to do so. Once their metabolism is under control (i.e. by eating less sugar and less carbs in general), they spontaneously start exercising and some even become professional athletes. I can attest to this from my own experience: as an obese kid (obese from a very early age when I could not control what or how much I ate) I didn't exercise because I honestly didn't have the energy to do so. I sat at home and read a lot and studied foreign languages, which was all very good. But when I had to exercise, I would underperform and I would feel bad (I felt guilty for my weight that made me underperform). I don't think any of that was my fault, I was simply fed the wrong diet (not many processed foods, but certainly a lot of grains and sugar plus sunflower oil used in cooking). I am sure my parents didn't know any better, they did what everybody was doing.

On the other hand, once I started restricting carbs and consciously made myself do cardio, the weight started coming off little by little. And more weight I lost, the more I enjoyed exercising. For me this makes sense.
    Last edited by Sol y Sombra; 05-25-2012 at 11:09 PM.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post
    That girls parents should be tarred and feathered in public, then locked up for a long long time for ever allowing things to go that far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Would be nice to find someone to tar and feather...
    and the plus side, after you tar and feather them they'll likely die from infection from the vast swatches of 3rd degree burns

yes, i'm being sarcastic

her dad died, she and her mom went to food for comfort. it snowballed. no one held any guns to any heads and demanded they eat a la se7en

it happens
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    and the plus side, after you tar and feather them they'll likely die from infection from the vast swatches of 3rd degree burns
    *le sigh*
    You always know just what to say.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    *le sigh*
    You always know just what to say.
    i am a tolerant, thoughtful sweetheart
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjlejialaja View Post
    So today I got told by a friend that does medicine that PB will put me in a coma. MAN I look forward to that day.
    what?! ha ha how on earth did they come to that conclusion!!!

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    ...came home, had her success celebrated... and I'm not sure what happened next, but it sounds as though the support melted away.
    Emphasis on the "celebrated". There is this perverse human tendency to fête someone who has had weight success with...FOOD. Usually cakes, candies, and the like. And these events are always rife with the words "moderation" and the phrase "just this once".

I have a friend who is obese who has begun a new diet. She's following CW. I feel very bad for her, and have gently tried to suggest paleo, but she just smiles and eats her grilled, skinless chicken. She's been this way for many years. Goes on diet. Loses weight. Goes off diet. Is convinced, I'm sure, it's just her "weak will" holding her down.

I really wish sometimes that primal HAD caused me to get down to my goal weight. People look at me and assume that because I didn't get past the 150 barrier, I'm not a success. It's harder to sell the feel great/sleep better/blood test awesome side of things. All these people want is to be thin. And having been in the 220s, I completely understand that.

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I have a friend who is obese who has begun a new diet. She's following CW. I feel very bad for her, and have gently tried to suggest paleo, but she just smiles and eats her grilled, skinless chicken. She's been this way for many years. Goes on diet. Loses weight. Goes off diet. Is convinced, I'm sure, it's just her "weak will" holding her down.
    We have been brainwashed and the brainwashing continues, most people just trust what the experts say. I know how long it took me to understand that fruit was not the source of youth, lonvegity, good health and the best thing on earth in general (I'm not saying fruit is evil, I just refused to believe that something this natural could actually do harm if eaten in big amounts - the sugar in fruit seemed 'less sugary' somehow) and that meat was not bad and fat was not bad (of course, some types are) and that eggs were not the devil. It can be hard to let go of the secure foundation CW creates with its messages. Suddenly you start doubting its 'wisdom', but everyone tells you differently. You start to doubt your own judgement, still you're more and more convinced there's something flawed in all this dietary advice everyone is following, it just doesn't make sense. So you decide to go out on a limb and it is quite scary, you feel like you're risking your health and your life and going against reason. That is, until the new wisdom you have found starts working for you But, man, people are so stubborn and hard to convince, I have almost given up. I only talk health and diet with my close relatives and friends and only if asked a question, I seldom take the initiative to 'educate' people any more. I think one should be mentally ready and mature to make the transition, otherwise it simply won't work.