Page 474 of 840 FirstFirst ... 374424464472473474475476484524574 ... LastLast
Results 4,731 to 4,740 of 8396

Thread: Funny CW moments page 474

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    But then, I also have this crazy idea that all people deserve dignity and respect.
    Enough with that there commie talk...

fiercehunter is offline Banned

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    That is actually a really good idea. Do you know To Hell with Farming?

Like that. Probably the only real way to make a small farm truly pay. It would work. The food would be good - you could see to that - and the exercise would be moderate enough while heavy enough to benefit everyone. Once you started getting a few successes they would tell all their friends and punters would come flocking. Capital costs would be low, because you wouldn't need all the farm equipment they need today to keep labour costs down - you would have all the labour you needed. You could totally do that with just a rented few acres and a couple of huts. It wouldn't even need to be cleared ground, as they could do the clearing too.
    That. Is awesome. Hmm, lure enough out to pay off the land and get my permaculture food-forest planted then shoo them away since I won't need them anymore
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Quote Originally Posted by Spubba View Post
    I agree that this is a lovely business idea; but I know nothing about the legalities involved! Especially if you were caring for minor children (and we have to admit that life threatening obesity and diabetes is affecting younger and younger kids) and going against CW; I'd bet no insurance company would touch this business the second they found out that the diet program was high in fat, regardless of what the O:3/O:6 ratios looked like.

Now, if you pitched it as a "Dude Ranch" summer for these teens and the program stressed outdoor camping, social activities and sunshine rather than measuring food portions, counting fat-grams and weekly weigh-ins like a "Fat Camp" you might be able to squeak it by...

Stupid ideas, never mind me...
    Oh yeah, the legalities, the insurance . . . oh, and having to deal with people. It's unlikely to come to fruition
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusberries View Post
    THANK YOU! No one understands this! I started gaining weight when I was around 3, and at 4 I was about a foot taller than all the other kids and was starting to gain fat. My mother made all her own baby food and fed super healthy meals. We were never allowed to eat out at restaurants or get fast food. By 5 I was sent for testing because I was gaining so much weight. I remember being in the hospital getting blood tests, head x-rays, CAT scans of my brain. By age 8 I hadn't stopped gaining and I was sent to a weight loss group. Didn't really work. I was the most active kid in my group of friends, was even on a competitive swim team.

My sister who wasn't active at all and ate the same foods I did was thin as a rail. I was around 200-220lbs by first year of high school and it was around this point the emotional eating started because the teasing was relentless. By the time I graduated I was well over 300lbs and topped out at almost 500lbs before I was 20. I lost about 250lbs in my early 20s by almost complete starvation. When I started eating again the weight came back, luckily only to 360lbs, and stuck there. I tried "healthy eating" diets and they did not work! I even had the "this isn't working, why am I even trying?" moments. The fact that I'm 310lbs now and still eating every day amazes me. I have never had weight loss without starving myself.

I feel so bad for this girl, and the fact it's all over the news is even worse.
    Ugh, I am so sorry you had to go through all that, and I know how it is.

I started gaining weight when I was around 5-6, and was always like 99th percentile for height as well. I was just BIG, for ostensibly no reason. I never got to eat fast food or sugary cereal, and I ate the same foods as my mom, and she's never been above 120lbs in her life. Yet, I was up to 200lbs in middle school, went up to 260 (and briefly 295 from a certain medication) in high school, got back down to 225ish in college, then back up to 260, then up to 300, then back down to 260..

I can see now that the gain always correlated with huge amounts of stress. The more freaked out and suicidal I was, and the more I cried, the more I weighed. And I started having huge amounts of stress when I was 5-6, right around when I first started getting big.

I didn't gain weight because I was lazy and just wanted to sit around eating twinkies and pizza all day. Like I said, I didn't even get to eat that food when I was younger. I gained weight because I was stressed out from abuse and always hungry, presumably because most of the food I ate was carb-based in the low-fat craze of the 90s. Then it got to a point where the abuse started being about my weight and I stopped eating in public for over 10 years. So I'd throw out my lunch every day and try to starve myself. Then I'd try to sneak food at home because I was so hungry and and my mom would scream at me. She'd call me a lard-ass, tell me I needed to to go on a diet, and threatened to put locks on the cabinets. I was in elementary school at the time.

I didn't start eating total crap until much later, when I was so paralyzed by depression and anxiety that I was completely housebound and did nothing but sit on the computer all night long eating fried food and drinking soda because it provided at least some reward in a time I had absolutely nothing else to feel good about (and then I would sleep all day so I wouldn't have to see or talk to anyone). This interspersed with periods of starvation when my mom would refuse to go grocery shopping for several weeks. So I wouldn't eat for days at a time, punctuated by desperate binges of anything I could find. Plain noodles? Ketchup packets? Off-brand ramen that's been sitting in the cupboard for 6 months? Whatever, I am literally starving and actively blacking out, put it in.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I ended up 300lbs.

Anyone who claims I'm fat because of weakness of character, laziness, or hedonism is invited to die in a fucking fire.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 05-25-2012 at 08:48 AM.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    That. Is awesome. Hmm, lure enough out to pay off the land and get my permaculture food-forest planted then shoo them away since I won't need them anymore
    Once it was big enough you would need to hire overseers anyway, and there would be enough satisfied former attenders to supply you with low cost ones. At a certain point you could spin it off with just overseers and retire to your woods, but I seriously doubt you would ever get fed up of it.

I don't know about the legality stuff. Following the Paleo diet is legitimate enough, as legitimate as any of the other fat camps. Just mimic what they do to a certain extent, like for the insurance and disclaimers. If they can do it you can. It isn't really that different from a holiday camp, and they do exist. Often it is better to just get started and work out all the details later. Simply having a website is more important that having a supply of fatties from an insurance company. It doesn't have to be specifically marketed at fat kids either. Anyone would do. Once you had a few successes (which would be very easy as they would lose a bunch of weight in the first week) it would start self-advertising.

I'd just open without insurance initially. What do you have to lose? No one wants to sue anyone without any money.

I'd just open without insurance initially. What do you have to lose? No one wants to sue anyone without any money.
    What would I have to lose? Seriously? My land. Once I get it, I will do ANYTHING to protect my land.

I probably would do more of a "getaway" sort of thing than a "fat camp" since, as we know, everyone needs a little more health in their lives And there would be less insurance to deal with.

DuhPrincess is offline Senior Member
    Wow...what a sad story about the 19 year old girl. One thing I learned from Kruse and others who discuss Leptin Resistance is this: When your brain isn't properly signaling to the Leptin in your fat cells, you become a sugar-burner. Your brain isn't properly telling your body to burn fat; rather it keeps signaling it to STORE fat for some reason. So the people that are addicted to carbs are only responding to their bodies appropriately as they need to keep eating carbs to survive. Their bodies/brains are broken and not burning fat like normal people do. The Leptin Reset is effective for many in restoring proper signaling to the brain. Hcg is another "metabolic trapdoor" that signals your body to burn fat. For many people, hcg is the ONLY thing that has helped them to drop weight while they relearned how to eat properly. I've done hcg and LRx and am down 85 lbs. My carb/sugar cravings are finally under control for the most part--unless I'm around my nemesis Cookie Dough. Otherwise, it's a long road to recovery for sugar-burners. I have become much more sympathetic to overweight people now that I understand WHY this happens after having lived through it for 30 years. Hormone inbalances also affect weight gains.

On a related note, I was at my friend's house last week to help her with a yard sale. Her 10 year old twins were eating Sun Chips and Dr Pepper for breakfast. This same friend has fatty liver disease and is in her 30's. CW and SAD has really destroyed a lot of lives, eh? I try to help her but some people just can't imagine a life giving up certain foods or pop.

Congrats on 210 days, MamaGrok!!!! You've really inspired me these last 8 months on this forum!!!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Once you had a few successes (which would be very easy as they would lose a bunch of weight in the first week) it would start self-advertising.
    Just don't count on this for everyone, right from the start. Some people need a lot o' tweaking before that body is confidant enough it will be nourished, and has enough raw materials for all the hormones and neurotransmitters, to start losing. Some start right away and lose like gangbusters. Some start like that, lose 100lb, then stall for a long time. But all are on the path to health, even with varying weight loss patterns.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Owly is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    This is controversial with some folks here, but I really think that even if the person never gets to their ideal or even a "normal" weight but sees improvement in other markers of health--no more diabetes meds, healthy blood pressure, enough weight loss to walk again, etc.--then they are still doing amazingly well. I don't get it when people slam someone who's lost 50, 60, or 100 pounds but still isn't thin--it's way, way harder to do that than to go from slightly overweight to healthy weight or heavy normal to a lower body fat percentage (although getting ultra-lean is hard too).

I think a farm setup like that would have to focus on overall markers of health, rather than just weigh-ins. Otherwise you'll just get kids engaging in the same disordered stuff because it means they "win" on weigh-in day, whether or not those behaviours are healthful. You want them to leave healthier, which will likely mean slimmer too, rather than just skinny.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal