Page 473 of 880 FirstFirst ... 373423463471472473474475483523573 ... LastLast
Results 4,721 to 4,730 of 8800

Thread: Funny CW moments page 473

billp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Most people who are morbidly obese since childhood started out gaining huge amounts of weight before they started eating ridiculous amounts of food. They try severe portion restriction; they try starvation; and as long as the foods are SAD, they lose nothing, and the cravings grow.
    Exactly - the weight gain comes first, then they need to eat more food to maintain their current weight or what their body needs to weigh. She has gained fat at an enormously rapid rate since her diet, probably about the fastest it is physically possible to put on weight. No wonder she doesn't have any energy - it is all going into growing fatter. Multiple organ failure suggests she is not far from death.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spubba View Post
    she is a sane person locked in a deranged body
    Oh, me likey this!!

I lost 50lb with no exercise. But if I had listened to any doctors at all, I would never have succeeded. Most people listen to doctors. Their trust is misplaced, but I don't think that makes them crazy.

Another similar major CW fail is bulimia camp. They take these poor girls who have physical urges for "more sugar!" (purging is just a natural response to get rid of the binge; the BINGE is the problem) every minute of the day, and FORCE them to eat a certain amount of food each meal, with great classics like pancakes and syrup ... then force them to go the next X hours without eating till the next carb-heavy, protein-and-fat deficient meal, tormenting them further.

Exercise & starve tactics are pointless. Fix the broken cravings with a solid diet and they become totally unnecessary because your body starts to regulate food intake & movement naturally, the way it was always supposed to.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    Most people who are morbidly obese since childhood started out gaining huge amounts of weight before they started eating ridiculous amounts of food. They try severe portion restriction; they try starvation; and as long as the foods are SAD, they lose nothing, and the cravings grow.
    THANK YOU! No one understands this! I started gaining weight when I was around 3, and at 4 I was about a foot taller than all the other kids and was starting to gain fat. My mother made all her own baby food and fed super healthy meals. We were never allowed to eat out at restaurants or get fast food. By 5 I was sent for testing because I was gaining so much weight. I remember being in the hospital getting blood tests, head x-rays, CAT scans of my brain. By age 8 I hadn't stopped gaining and I was sent to a weight loss group. Didn't really work. I was the most active kid in my group of friends, was even on a competitive swim team.

My sister who wasn't active at all and ate the same foods I did was thin as a rail. I was around 200-220lbs by first year of high school and it was around this point the emotional eating started because the teasing was relentless. By the time I graduated I was well over 300lbs and topped out at almost 500lbs before I was 20. I lost about 250lbs in my early 20s by almost complete starvation. When I started eating again the weight came back, luckily only to 360lbs, and stuck there. I tried "healthy eating" diets and they did not work! I even had the "this isn't working, why am I even trying?" moments. The fact that I'm 310lbs now and still eating every day amazes me. I have never had weight loss without starving myself.

I feel so bad for this girl, and the fact it's all over the news is even worse.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    It's stories like this that make me want to open up my own "fat" camp. Health camp, really. Put 'em to work on my (theoratical at this point) farm as they are able, and feed them real, good food that they help grow and cook. Functional movements, real food, and sunshine. For that girl, picking eggs and feeding the chickens would probably be a suitable start for the exercise. Won't be dramatic, but it'll be easier to stick to.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    ETA 210 days binge-free!
    Little late, and I know we have moved on, but.....

CONGRATULATIONS! That is amazing and inspiring.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    It's stories like this that make me want to open up my own "fat" camp. Health camp, really. Put 'em to work on my (theoratical at this point) farm as they are able, and feed them real, good food that they help grow and cook. Functional movements, real food, and sunshine. For that girl, picking eggs and feeding the chickens would probably be a suitable start for the exercise. Won't be dramatic, but it'll be easier to stick to.
    DO IT!!! Just don't forget the big fat-and-protein breakfast, no IF'ing at all until uncontrollable cravings are gone and metabolisms repaired.

People like quelson, lotusberries, & spubba here are such an inspiration. Many people would have given up on life by this point, but you refuse to quit even in the face of regular ridicule & failure, even from the people here who should be supporting you.

WE ARE ALL BROKEN IN DIFFERENT WAYS. Some people get fat b/c of SAD; some people get MS; some people die. Why do we only make fun of the ones whose brokenness reveals itself as excess adipose tissue?

That itself is a "CW fail" attitude that needs to disappear here.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    That is actually a really good idea. Do you know To Hell with Farming?

Like that. Probably the only real way to make a small farm truly pay. It would work. The food would be good - you could see to that - and the exercise would be moderate enough while heavy enough to benefit everyone. Once you started getting a few successes they would tell all their friends and punters would come flocking. Capital costs would be low, because you wouldn't need all the farm equipment they need today to keep labour costs down - you would have all the labour you needed. You could totally do that with just a rented few acres and a couple of huts. It wouldn't even need to be cleared ground, as they could do the clearing too.

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    That is actually a really good idea. Do you know To Hell with Farming?

Like that. Probably the only real way to make a small farm truly pay. It would work. The food would be good - you could see to that - and the exercise would be moderate enough while heavy enough to benefit everyone. Once you started getting a few successes they would tell all their friends and punters would come flocking. Capital costs would be low, because you wouldn't need all the farm equipment they need today to keep labour costs down - you would have all the labour you needed. You could totally do that with just a rented few acres and a couple of huts. It wouldn't even need to be cleared ground, as they could do the clearing too.
    I agree that this is a lovely business idea; but I know nothing about the legalities involved! Especially if you were caring for minor children (and we have to admit that life threatening obesity and diabetes is affecting younger and younger kids) and going against CW; I'd bet no insurance company would touch this business the second they found out that the diet program was high in fat, regardless of what the O:3/O:6 ratios looked like.

Now, if you pitched it as a "Dude Ranch" summer for these teens and the program stressed outdoor camping, social activities and sunshine rather than measuring food portions, counting fat-grams and weekly weigh-ins like a "Fat Camp" you might be able to squeak it by...

Stupid ideas, never mind me...

Owly is offline Senior Member
    DO IT!!! Just don't forget the big fat-and-protein breakfast, no IF'ing at all until uncontrollable cravings are gone and metabolisms repaired.

People like quelson, lotusberries, & spubba here are such an inspiration. Many people would have given up on life by this point, but you refuse to quit even in the face of regular ridicule & failure, even from the people here who should be supporting you.

WE ARE ALL BROKEN IN DIFFERENT WAYS. Some people get fat b/c of SAD; some people get MS; some people die. Why do we only make fun of the ones whose brokenness reveals itself as excess adipose tissue?

That itself is a "CW fail" attitude that needs to disappear here.
    This. I'm so tired of the fat-bashing crap. I have immense respect for anyone who is working to regain their health, and I think people have no idea what it means for someone who's very overweight to take one more chance on one more diet and the work it takes to lose 50+ pounds or kick diabetes meds or whatever. I don't--I only know about it from what friends and people here have told me--but I respect the fortitude it takes to do it.

But then, I also have this crazy idea that all people deserve dignity and respect.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    But then, I also have this crazy idea that all people deserve dignity and respect.
    You crazy person, you.