Page 472 of 880 FirstFirst ... 372422462470471472473474482522572 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,720 of 8800

Thread: Funny CW moments page 472

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    tapper, you remind me of my husband. He quit cereal and started cooking his own bacon & eggs each morning when he was in like 5th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Ah, sorry, I misread you as meaning that all you had to do was eat right and the emotional stuff would vanish, rather than saying it would be easier to get that stuff under control. I think we actually agree--if the body is satisfied and healthy, it's a lot easier to manage the emotional bits.
    yep!

Quote Originally Posted by ekat View Post
    The one was talking about how he had to start taking supplements for vitamin D deficiency. The other guy said, "Just slap on some sunscreen and go outside!" It was all I could do not to say, "Actually..."
    Oh, I woulda, I woulda! I just can't stand that kind of stuff! I would have said it with a smile, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oh, Mama Grok, I am so glad to hear that this is coming together for you. I remember when your "binge free since<date>" item in your sig used to reset every few days. I'm so happy for you.
    Thank you! It's been a pretty amazing journey. Exactly one year ago I skipped my daughter's scout awards banquet and crossing over because I knew it would result in yet another binge, and I couldn't take it any more.

Tonight, I went, and watched everyone eat cake & cookie cake & didn't care a bit. I didn't eat a thing. I had had my dinner hours earlier and food just has no sway over me anymore. It's like the heavens sing every time this happens.

ETA 210 days binge-free!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 05-24-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    ETA 210 days binge-free!
    Congratulations. Although, is it really a funny CW moment?

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations! I am so happy Primal is working out so good for you!

billp is offline Senior Member
    Want to read something frightening?

How 30 scaffolders, builders, police, fire and ambulance crew rescued 63st teenager from her home | Mail Online

It is the Faily Mail so don't expect any real insight.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    That girls parents should be tarred and feathered in public, then locked up for a long long time for ever allowing things to go that far.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post
    That girls parents should be tarred and feathered in public, then locked up for a long long time for ever allowing things to go that far.
    Perhaps they don't know any better No parent would harm their child knowingly, on the contrary - parents normally strive to do what's best for their child. Maybe they were simply following CW guidelines Anyway, I feel very sorry for this girl

billp is offline Senior Member
    She's 19. That's a grown woman in my book. I've never found it very easy to impose my will on children of any age. You can make things available, but there is only so much you can do. Maybe she is unusually susceptible to wheat diets and insulin insensitivity? Like it says in Tom Naughton's Fat Head, you are as fat as you need to be. The fact she put on so much weight so quickly after dieting suggests this is a metabolic issue. If she ate like this it would fall off her in two years flat most probably.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    While these extreme cases boggle the mind, we must remember that it takes a whole family enabling a case like this. How many times do you see a parent giving in to a screaming child wanting candy in a check out line (Ok, I rarely see this nstuff anymore, but it used to be common). Teenagers can get really ugly to get their way and parents often give in. I'm just grateful it's not me or my family, but you never know what might be coming your way. Bad food advice + Poor parent strength to say "no more" + an obvious severe metabolic problem = a huge person. Be thankful for your own blessings of sanity and knowledge!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post
    I'll assume you're being facetious.
    • The first ingredient is her eating the same way everyone around her ate - SAD.
    • Second ingredient is having a genetic predisposition to metabolic derangement IF she eats a certain way. She's just unlucky that her predisposition is that instead of autoimmune disease or something else. Some people get obsessive cravings from a SAD diet and some don't. Some get disproportionate weight gain; some don't. Some get broken metabolisms; some don't. I bet she had all three combine for a perfect storm.
    • Third ingredient is a family that enabled the inevitable binges instead of helping her keep it reasonable and researching like mad to find a solution when she was still a minor and they weren't.
    • As Mud Flinger said, the fourth ingredient is bad dietary advice. Doctors probably advised her to avoid fat & most meat, and to eat "Plenty of healthy whole grains" (have you checked the label of almost all cereals lately?). This would only serve to further wreck her metabolism, increase her weight gain,, and make her cravings absolutely uncontrollable.

Now, throw yourself into these ingredients and see how well YOU do. The key to getting out of the vicious cycle is finding information like that found on MDA. Probably the biggest thing that people "fail" to do is to persevere until they find this kind of information. Most people either don't try, don't persevere, or don't succeed.

But I do not blame them for being unable to hear the "eat grains eat sugar eat grains eat sugar eat grains eat sugar" urges SCREAMING at them 24/7 while still a child and being unable or unwilling to continue putting 100% of their energy 24/7/365 for their entire lives ignoring it.

Most people who are morbidly obese since childhood started out gaining huge amounts of weight before they started eating ridiculous amounts of food. They try severe portion restriction; they try starvation; and as long as the foods are SAD, they lose nothing, and the cravings grow.

There are several people on this website who have experienced just this. People who have been given drugs by their doctors and gained 90lb in 90 days. People who were morbidly obese by their first birthday. People who have eaten <800cal a day for years and still don't lose. There places to place blame in the story, but very little of it is "They just wanted to eat crap, so they ate it till it killed them."

There is a TON of CW Fail in these stories, but little of it belongs to the morbidly obese person. Most of us, if we woke up in their circumstances a few years earlier, would have had little chance of success in escaping their path down to this day.

/HeadingOffFattyWarsAgain
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    There is a TON of CW Fail in these stories, but little of it belongs to the morbidly obese person. Most of us, if we woke up in their circumstances a few years earlier, would have had little chance of success in escaping their path down to this day.
    Everything that MamaGrok said; and it's sad that knowing what we know now, reading what we've read, knowing what CW still tells people in spite of what the SCIENCE says, and knowing that this girl attended fat-camp after fat-camp where they probably fed her nonfat yogurt and cereal bars and all that garbage and basically starved her down, death-camp style, without really helping address the physical root of the problem - metabolic distress - and after reading ALL the success stories and being all over this board, people on MDA still want to place the blame on the obese person and their family for "not trying hard enough", and that us fat people have some kind of "mental disorder" and "obsession with food", and all that garbage. Sad, and I hope that more people with "food issues" are willing to come here and look into their own problems with an informed, critical eye.

Any of us could be this girl. How many times would YOU like to go to a forced labor camp? Willingly? Locked up, performing meaningless physical movements for hours upon hours? And pay for it? Knowing that you will be starved and screamed at and browbeaten? Knowing that it probably won't do any good, that you'll still come out of it just as fat and broken as you were before and you'll end up even worse afterwards?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The girl gave up and said "oh fuck it, nothing works, I'll just eat fish and chips and internet myself to death" because she is a sane person locked in a deranged body. My heart goes out to her.