Page 456 of 873 FirstFirst ... 356406446454455456457458466506556 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,560 of 8727

Thread: Funny CW moments page 456

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    So this week ive been staying with my cousins to babysit/chaperone them while my aunt and uncle are on vacation. Theyre high schoolers so they mostly take care of themselves, but I take them to school and make sure they do their homework and make dinner for them. Or, well, I TRY to make dinner for them. My aunt and uncle are covering all the food for the week, so I asked for a lot of meats and veggies to do a lot of my better recipes Ive been learning: grilled NYstrip steaks. Asian-marinade glazed short ribs. Even an entire side of salmon that was fresh caught by a friend of my uncle's the day before they left and given to me to do whatever I want with, cause they didnt have time to dook it themselves. Ive tried to make the most CW-acceptable vegetables possible, like sweet bell peppers stuffed with cheese, and a fruit and fennel salad that was way more fruit than fennel.

My cousins just REFUSE to eat ANY of it. Theyll get a serving of meat and the tiniest portion of veg, eat about three bites of meat and NO veg, and then just throw it all away (into compost, at least, BUT STILL). They then retreat to their room to eat girl scout cookies and pudding cups. I cant exactly chastize them for eating these foods cause their aunt buys them. The house is stocked with random junk all over the place. And my aunt and uncle are not ignorant troglodytes when it comes to food; my uncle is a great cook, seriously his kitchen is stocked with craploads of equipment and toys, and most of the "junk" they have around the house is really expensive, gourmet junk. But still, having a high price tag doesnt make it healthier. Also they go through three or so cans of soda a day.

Despite the fact that it honestly makes me want to cry when I spend a few hours cooking everyday after work and they dont even try to eat the food, it honestly worries me for their health. One of them is diagnosed ADD and on meds for it, meds that apparently zombie him out. Couple this with the fact that his routine is to stay up late playing computer games so by the time morning runs around, I am literally dragging him out of bed to get to the carpool on time. The other cousin seems like a normal teenager, cute and thin, but the one night I couldnt make dinner (cause I had a dance class), instead of ordering pizza or something, she thought a fine dinner would be popcorn and girl scout cookies. She keeps eating like that and she wont stay cute and thin for long. Also yesterday before dinner she ate almost an entire pound of sugary candy, and her drink with dinner was hyper-concentrated tang.

Before they left, my aunt was like, "Yeah we want them to eat healthier, but what can you do?" and just shrugged it off. Im like, well for starters, you can stop buying cases of soda and girl scout cookies!!! Also its just so upsetting because I know what a horrible, medical disaster this way of eating will lead these kids to, since *my* childhood and teenage years were a medical disaster, and that was *with* a modicum of intervention from my mom (we werent really allowed to have soda, for example, which I credit for me not really having ever developed a taste for it).

Ive been holding my tongue, or gently chastising them for eating cookies, but theres not much I can do. I like my cousins otherwise, but being around this behavior is genuinely upsetting me. I want to go home to my humanely raised bacon and kale chips.

Funniest CW moment from the week, though:

<Male cousin is warming himself breakfast, which all week has been a large cinnabon cinnamon roll from a tray of them my aunt bought at Costco before they left>
    Female cousin: "Eww, thats so gross. I don't know how you can eat that for breakfast!" <Said while she is munching on a bowl of CINNAMON TOAST CRUNCH!!>
    Me: "Uhhh, you should talk, look at what youre eating there."
    Her: "Yeah but this is cereal."
    Me: "Sweetie, they are the SAME INGREDIENTS. Baked wheat covered with cinnamon and sugar."
    Her: <Looks at her bowl, looks at the cinnamon roll. Obviously is processing this information, but then shrugs it off> "No what I meant was I think cinnabon tastes gross. Like...I dont know, it just has a funny taste to it." <goes back to munching cereal>
    Me: <resists the urge to shove bacon down their throats>
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Corvidae, there's something to be said about what happens when one's back is to the wall, with no way out... Find a nice storage spot for that junk..
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    The more I read this thread the more I think it should be renamed 'tragic CW moments'.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Corvidae, there's something to be said about what happens when one's back is to the wall, with no way out... Find a nice storage spot for that junk..
    I agree with this - obviously you can't just throw all the junk away (unless you know for a fact that your aunt and uncle would back your decision), but is there a way you can bag it all up - even the hidden stuff in their rooms - and take it out of the house until your aunt and uncle return? It also sounds like the kids are trying to push boundaries; do their parents really let them eat pudding and girl scout cookies in their rooms, or a pound of candy before supper? (If so, there are much larger issues in that house.)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Carmiel is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasintrail View Post
    But it's raw chicken! Don't you know that even looking at it will kill you? OMG!!!!

Pet peeve - no really, I don't need you to double wrap my chicken before you bag it in it's own separate bag. Really it's not poision, I promise <bang head here>
    I have been feeding my dogs raw chicken and pork neck bones for 12 years, I used to do a lot of fostering and we would go through 120 pounds of chicken a week at times, I am literally up to my elbows in chicken necks when I separate the cases into buckets for the freezer. Never in all of this time has one my dogs or anyone in my family had samonella. I have the healthiest dogs around, my Great Pyreneese is 14 years old now, way past her normal life span yet every veterinarian I have ever talked to about my dogs diet insists that I am too stupied to feed them and that I MUST use commercial food because only they know how to feed a dog...rubbish!!
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
    Martin Luther King Jr.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    My little niece was watching me go to town on salad, steak, and pepper poppers with side of iced tea. This kid eats chicken nuggets, pizza without sauce, french bread innards (she won't touch the crust), string cheese, pepperoni, corn on the cob, french fries and sugary or chocolatey things exclusively. Nothing else, and her folks let her have her way. I've tried (and succeeded a few times) to get her to try something new. I offer her a chunk of my (medium) steak. "Why is it pink? Is it still bleeding?"
    "Nope. It's pink because you can still taste the meat that way. Wanna try it?"
    "No thanks, I don't like pink."
    I get a streak of brilliance and say "you like red, right? Blood red and scarlet red?"
    "Yeah."
    "Your gramma's steak is red on the inside. Go try a piece of hers for me."
    "No thanks."
    "[Niece], you said you'd try one new thing for me each time I was here, remember?"
    She runs off and tries a piece of her grandmother's rare steak. She comes running back asking her momma for some red steak.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaradel View Post
    I agree with this - obviously you can't just throw all the junk away (unless you know for a fact that your aunt and uncle would back your decision), but is there a way you can bag it all up - even the hidden stuff in their rooms - and take it out of the house until your aunt and uncle return? It also sounds like the kids are trying to push boundaries; do their parents really let them eat pudding and girl scout cookies in their rooms, or a pound of candy before supper? (If so, there are much larger issues in that house.)
    Well the parents BUY such food for them, so imo it doesnt really matter when they say they can or cant eat it. You can have your arsenic now or your arsenic later but its still the same poison all the same. Also I dont even know where all the junk is; i keep stumbling across something new in the cabinets. Or the garage.

Aaaanyway at this point my tenure with them is almost up so its not really worth it. Perhaps the kids will have learned a lesson about how they feel when they gorge on candy and stay up all night but still have to get up at 6am to get to school. That could be a more valuable lesson than just telling them what not to do all the time.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    You never want to eat horse from the US.... they slaughter a lot of race horses who get a lot of injections to keep running- among other things, steroids into joints. The other one is the QH - and I don't know what they give them, but the halter horses look like cattle on tea cup feet they are so thick. I'm pretty sure they are getting help too. You know, I don't know about the timing of all of this... but.... its not like they track things carefully. The guy that bought at the auction has no idea what has been injected recently and there are a lot of secret cocktails going into these poor animals to keep them running,
    Switzerland is a funny place. Very low quality meat. it wouldn't surprise me if they were ending up packaged in Lidl in spite of the injections. People tended to buy their meat over the border and smuggle it back in. There is a three-way interlocking supermarket monopoly - Coop, Migros and Denner from which the only affordable meat is pork and that used to give me gout. Or if you are mad you could go to a real butchers and pay 60fr a kilo - i.e $28/lb. I only did once.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    You never want to eat horse from the US.... they slaughter a lot of race horses who get a lot of injections to keep running- among other things, steroids into joints. The other one is the QH - and I don't know what they give them, but the halter horses look like cattle on tea cup feet they are so thick. I'm pretty sure they are getting help too. You know, I don't know about the timing of all of this... but.... its not like they track things carefully. The guy that bought at the auction has no idea what has been injected recently and there are a lot of secret cocktails going into these poor animals to keep them running,
    I know that even during the "ban" on slaughter in the US there were a few people still practicing the old way of getting horse meat. Fine a super cheap (free during the ban) horse. Take it to a QT pasture... worm it, give it a run of antibiotics, float teeth and trim hooves as necessary... then run it on lush green pasture all summer. Nice fat "clean" horse for the fall with very little in put. Doesn't matter if the horse has had injury and can't be ridden or is simply an unbroken cull. But it requires good land to graze.

People all have their opinions on horses as food/meat... but the ban did prove that being able to sell them to slaughter prevented a much worse end for many. There were hundreds that were just left to starve to death by people who could no longer afford to care for them, but also couldn't even give them away for free because the pet market was completely saturated, mares were still foaling, and there was no place for the culls/injured animals to go at all.

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    +1. The Amish horses that are too old to be tender and are sold as dog meat- or at least used to be when we could slaughter them- are probably safer.
    That is what a meat grinder and some beef tallow is for. It really makes excellent burger, or chili meat. Even stew.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Yeah, that's not the problem. I live in suburbia in an area where there are zero feral cats or dogs, and zero that aren't spayed or neutered, while there is an overabundance of 100% unneutered squirrels, chipmunks, mice, and yes, because we're near a very narrow, but long, national park, even occasional rattlesnakes, coyotes, & foxes. Oh, and owls, falcons, and hawks that occasionally swoop down and swipe toy dogs out of their strollers - not kidding.

So my cat is helping, not hurting. Their complaint is not an ecological one; it's that it's "gross" to see a cat stare hungrily at a cardinal, and unimaginably disgusting to imagine it eating a raw chipmunk.
    And my cat, bless her heart, is the pickiest eater on earth. I buy her only the best no grain added food. Canned and kibble. And she turns up her nose.

Don't you dare complain 'oh little black cat who eats mice'.

And even though, if I am not very careful, she will bring them into the house so that I spend the night on the couch in the living room and she has free run of my bedroom with the mouse she didn't quite kill, I still love her.

I don't think she really appreciates me.