Page 453 of 901 FirstFirst ... 353403443451452453454455463503553 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,530 of 9004

Thread: Funny CW moments page 453

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I always figured we don't eat horses much because they're too useful as healthy, working animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfeet View Post
    The question I get most often is "What about fruit? You make sure to eat lots of fruit right?"
    My answer is usually that I eat fruit seasonally, in the amounts that would be available if there were no bananaplanes. That usually lights a bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaradel View Post
    If people honestly believe that we humans are not born hunters, they need to read Born To Run by Christopher McDougall. While writing his book he found anthropological research about persistence hunting, where humans literally run an animal to the point of exhaustion, then kill it at close range.
    What's amazing about that book is how he describes that persistence hunting was so important to our evolution that we became the only animals to stand up straight because of it, and then proceeded to eat almost no meat, because, in his mind, we're all supposed to be near or full vegetarians. How he missed the LEATHER sandals and the BONES that made the broth of the Tarahumara he preached about, I'll never know.

Poor Caballo Blanco. Killed by corn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I miss oatmeal. Once my body is healed up, a bowl of homemade oatmeal with chopped apples and raisins is going to be part of my 20%. I hope I'll still like it.
    Ouch, never again for me. I don't miss the farts.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I miss oatmeal. Once my body is healed up, a bowl of homemade oatmeal with chopped apples and raisins is going to be part of my 20%. I hope I'll still like it.
    I'm going to suggest that what you're missing is likely more the warm apples and raisins than the oats. I love baking a pan of apples and raisins in the fall--you might give that a go.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    I'm strange in that I like the nutty taste and crunch of plain, steel-cut, unsweetened oats - minus the fruit, cinnamon, and honey/maple/brown sugar/whatever. There's a taste and texture there that you don't get with rolled oats or that instant crap. Nobody else that I know is willing to eat oatmeal that way though, and I don't make it my 20% either.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Then why are pigs raised for slaughter? I believe they rank higher than dogs in intellegence.

It's a separation of "companion" versus "food" animals. Some cultures have more separation than others.
    Because pigs are notoriously mean.

I'd much rather walk into a yard with multiple dogs than a yard with one ticked off pig.

And people feel much better about eating animals that hate our guts.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Because pigs are notoriously mean.

I'd much rather walk into a yard with multiple dogs than a yard with one ticked off pig.

In that case, I'll never feel bad about eating goose. Those things are pure evil.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    So it's more that we're allied with dogs? Whatever, the chinese are still monsters for eating puppies.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    It is a small argument against raising horses for food, at least. But people raise so may horses for other reasons that it is one of the cheaper meats where available. People often assume that Germany is similar to Switzerland because if the similar language, but in Switzerland they are gobbling horses all the time like in France, whereas in Germany seem dead against it, like much of the Anglosphere. No idea why. Perfectly good grass fed meat.
    Horse meat is not treated with the care that beef is. People worm and vaccinate their horses much more than cattle people, rendering horse meat not safe to eat. Originally, fat round horses like Cobbs and Vanners were designed to be working food, but the whole notion of "the west was won on the back of the trusty cowboy, his horse and his gun" from Hollywood, has ruined horse meat in the US. Germany has opened it's arms to the whole "wild west" and now imports lots of American Quarter Horses and they are fascinated with Wild West Shows, having lived there for 3 years, it's funny to see "Indians" running around talking Schwabish ( a dialect of German ).

I wouldn't eat horse meat because of the safety factor, but I wouldn't be against it, like some. We have neighbors (1/2 mile away) who raise cattle... I will get my meat from them, it's easier.
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spubba View Post
    In that case, I'll never feel bad about eating goose. Those things are pure evil.
    I have geese. They follow me around like dogs and keep the German Shepherd and Basset in line when they get stupid. I have pigs, lovely kind intelligent animals, good mothers, protective, and when you raise heritage animals full of lovely fat.

We eat animals because of the food they can provide. In some cases, like the horse, we (Western Civilization) chose not eat them because of their work value. This doesn't mean we shouldn't, only that we didn't.

Companion animal is a euphemism for useless animal. On a working farm, especially long ago when every animal MUST earn it's keep, there was no such thing as a companion animal. Dogs were working tools with a nice personality. If one didn't work as it was intended (wasn't trainable, wasn't producing good, true to type get, or got injured) it was culled. And sometimes eaten. But some meats taste better than others. Hog is better than horse, cow better than collie.

Now I have several companion animals. I am "rich" according to most societies and I don't have to cull for worthlessness. I cull for yumminess.

The Chinese and many other countries are not that lucky. Again, that is our warped Western viewpoint. We tend to think "poor aborigine" yet this guy is happier than we will ever be: he's well fed, his three or four generation family lives around him in fair harmony and he has animals that he cares for and he eats, he sleeps a fair amount and gathers fruit and foods from the surrounding area...

well, you get the point...
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for pointing out something so missed in our society - having an animal that doesn't work for its keep is a LUXURY. I'm so tired of neighbors griping that my cat is outdoors staring at their precious birdfeeder groupies, and "OH how dangerous it is for a cat to be outside!!" Maybe they should take a close look at how the mouse problem around here has disappeared! Some of them are actually appalled at the thought that a cat might kill and eat something. Raw. Not kidding, they were appalled.

Yeah, that's some crazyfunny CW stuff.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

billp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Levels of intelligence and ethics. A horse is too smart to be put through the process of being raised for food. Eating one after it's died naturally is fine though.
    It's the same reason a decent person wouldn't raise dogs for slaughter.
    Oh please. They are just another grass muncher, eating what we can't so we can eat them. You'll be going on about dolphins next. Even if intelligence was a criteria for eating or not, which it isn't, a horse is not more intelligent than a cow or a pig. They raise dogs for meat in Laos. It's fine.

I would never eat a fallen horse. If it broke its leg and had to be shot, maybe, but not if it got sick. That's dog meat.