Page 447 of 901 FirstFirst ... 347397437445446447448449457497547 ... LastLast
Results 4,461 to 4,470 of 9007

Thread: Funny CW moments page 447

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    To be fair, I actually (did?) really like straight-up unsweetened shredded wheat. I think if I tried it now, I would not like it. I base this on the fact that bread smells kinda bad to me now, and I can taste the flour in restaurant "cream" sauces and it's disgusting. But I actually really liked the taste of plain shredded wheat before. It's scary to think about how I ate it every day when I was CW dieting, thinking I was doing a good job. My insides must have been screaming in pain.
    Bread to me smells like stale beer now. And I like beer, and I know that beer and bread are cousins, but for some reason I notice the bread smell now more than I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by jes1014 View Post
    SO JEALOUS! We're in Fairfax Co. and it's zoned so you need 1/2 an acre before you can have chickens. Our lot is pretty big, esp. since it backs to a county park through-way, but it's less than 1/2 an acre Which county are you in?
    Quote Originally Posted by sires6 View Post
    Charles County, just south of PG. We looked at houses on the VA side before looking in MD. We lucked out in finding a house with 40 acres for rent. We have a big garden, horses on grass, goats growing into large meals, and chickens producing as many eggs as we can sell with a little bit more to pay for their feed. And chickens for eating as well as ducks, geese and guineas.

Faraona (guinea fowl) is just delicious. Especially when they've been fattened on the ticks, fleas, and bugs in our yard.
    I was guessing Southern MD when you said you were less than 20 miles outside of DC. Anything in VA with that much land for farming would be about 30 miles outside the city (with a few exceptions). That being said, you only have to go to the outer edge of Fairfax Co. to find a large enough parcel for chickens, and there are more small farms in PWC and LoCo.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Tigerfeet is offline Senior Member
    All your chatter about fruit reminded me of something. Whenever someone asks about my diet and I explain that I eat unprocessed food, lots of meat and vegetables, The question I get most often is "What about fruit? You make sure to eat lots of fruit right?" I just don't get it. I mean, I eat fruit if I want it but I don't really go out of my way. The veggies are way more healthy anyway but it's like everyone is blind to veggies, like they don't even exist as a CW food group. Notice it's always "fruit and vegetables", fruit is always first.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weathergirl View Post
    And this guy goes " oh wow that's great. I need to do that too, I mean meat is just so bad for us. It takes days to digest and it just sits and rots in our intestines. We really aren't designed to eat meat anyways."
    This is completely veg propaganda, that we're "not supposed to eat meat." Its based on literally no evidence, while all the actual evolutionary and anthropological evidence suggests otherwise. But they repeat it over and over again until people start to believe it; just like how all propaganda works.

God, i remember the "conscious eating club" at my college was always making these little "informational" table-tent flyers to put on all the tables in the dining halls, spewing uncited "facts" like these. I wasnt paleo at the time, and was only passingly aware of larger issues of nutrition, but i still thought they were full of shit.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

treborix is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    This is completely veg propaganda, that we're "not supposed to eat meat."
    See when i was at school and vegetarian, I campaigned more to get more vegetarian choice on the menu. I knew others were going to eat meat, but I wanted more than one choice out of three every day (three hot choices, two with meat and one vegetarian). Possibly this is where being surrounded by the offspring of farmers and people who went fox hunting rubbed off. I realised even then that eating animals was a perfectly valid option that didn't necessarily have to mean cruelty or a poor dietry choice. It set me on the path of preferring my dinner to have had as natural a life as possible.

But I just remember that when vegetarian but ate meat out of politeness (if served it at someone's home as part of dinner) it would always upset my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    but i still thought they were full of shit.
    Why do we have sharp teeth designed for cutting/tearing? Why do vegetarian animals have crushing type teeth?

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Why do we have sharp teeth designed for cutting/tearing? Why do vegetarian animals have crushing type teeth?
    This. I don't care how many people say human teeth are designed for vegetation, I've always had less trouble ripping through a steak than crunching through a frigging turnip.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    But we don't have fangs/claws like wolves and lions. Therefore, we are only supposed to eat vegetables. Duh.

I noticed at one point in my life that people who had teeth that are all flat tended to be more vegetarian oriented/milder than people with prominent canines. I always wondered if the more herbivore-type teeth had anything to do with it.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    But we don't have fangs/claws like wolves and lions. Therefore, we are only supposed to eat vegetables. Duh.

I noticed at one point in my life that people who had teeth that are all flat tended to be more vegetarian oriented/milder than people with prominent canines. I always wondered if the more herbivore-type teeth had anything to do with it.
    I have fangs so shut your grain-hole.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Me too. Well, they were better before I chipped one opening a knife. Which is a nice claw
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Actually the teeth arent the most important part; its the decrease in the relative size of our jaw that is even more telling.

As we know, chewing raw plants is very, very hard. Cellulose is so tough it is literally impossible to digest (for any vertebrate animal) so herbivores deal with it by chewing the shit out of it (and enlisting the help of symbiotic bacteria that are able to break down those complex carbohydrates). All this chewing requires HUGE masseter muscles on our jaws, and a large flat surface area toward the top of the skull for those jaw muscles to attach to. Just look at the skull of a horse:

All that flat area on the lower jaw is for the masseter muscles to attach to. By contrast, look at the skull of a pure carnivore, a cat:

Much smaller relative surface area on the jaw, yes?

Now lets look at how human skulls have progressed through our evolution from the australopiths (which were most assuredly heavily vegetarian) to modern Homo:

You can see quite clearly the decrease in the size of our jaw over time.

Now, some veg's argue that the decrease in jaw size was because we learned to cook our food, which made plant matter easier to digest. This is true. But the decrease in the jaw size wasnt happening in isolation; look at what was occuring to the brain case. It's easy to see (and widely accepted) that our brains got real big real fast.

What are brains made out of? fats and proteins. What do fetuses and children need in order to build and grow brains? fats and protein. You know what doesnt have a high concentration of fats and proteins? Vegetation. You know what does? Animal sources.

So to sum up, the way I look at it is that you can come up with alternate, veg-friendly explanations for any one of these traits (the lack of canines, the smaller jaw, the larger brain) individually, but there is no single veg-explanation that explains ALL of these traits as easily as the explanation that WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE OMNIVORES!!!
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!