Page 440 of 887 FirstFirst ... 340390430438439440441442450490540 ... LastLast
Results 4,391 to 4,400 of 8869

Thread: Funny CW moments page 440

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    While getting ready this morning and packing my grain-free lunch, I had the TV on in the background. An advertisement for "Smart Balance" comes on and goes something like, "You love butter but you love your heart. Smart Balance blocks the cholesterol with a special secret ingredient, and mixes canola oil in with the butter to make it more healthy!"

Still profiting off the cholesterol lie, I see.

Then a Meow Mix commercial came on and I had to shut the TV down before I put a brick through it.

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    My theory is that when I was eating traditional SAD foods, my body was craving nutrients, knew it wasnt getting it from the food I was eating, so was constantly driving me to seek out new food sources. Now that my meals are loaded with fats and veggies, my body is much more willing to be happy with it.
    You sound so much like me. I was leaving leftovers, too. I looked at my fridge yesterday and we were short of so many leftovers and stuff. I knew I needed to go shopping because we didn't have many veggies left, I needed to cook a roast because I was out of snacking meat and had just run out of fruit. It makes it so simple. It truly is a burden off my shoulders. I can have dessert, fruit with full fat cream, whipped, no sugar added and I am full, satisfied and very happy... what a change from 20 years of feeling like I was starving.

On another note, my thoroughly entrenched in-laws are coming in 2 weeks and my thoroughly CW and diabetic mother is coming today. What to feed them? It's not that I can't feed them, it's that I don't want to hear the whining about "we should only have 1 egg a week, cholesterol is bad for us" (we raise our own chickens, goats for meat, turkeys, ducks and geese) or "we don't eat that kind of food" comments ad nauseum.
    Last edited by sires6; 05-10-2012 at 05:10 AM.
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sires6 View Post
    (we raise our own chickens, goats for meat, turkeys, ducks and geese) .
    Nice! My pipe dream du jour is moving to the nearby-country someday (which in the bay area is still balls-expensive xP) and having enough land to get chickens and goats and try to raise a lot of our own food (to offset the inevitable mortgage). Chickens Im all over, i had them as a kid, but ive been intimidated about trying to understand how goats would fit in. Do you have goats for dairy AND meat, or just meat? (I assume theyre like chickens and that some breeds are more selected for one of the other) Do you butcher them yourself or do you take them to an abattoir/have someone come to the place to butcher them?

(sidenote: i just realized a fabulous idea for a band would be a death-metal band that only does covers of abba songs, called Abba-ttoir)
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    (sidenote: i just realized a fabulous idea for a band would be a death-metal band that only does covers of abba songs, called Abba-ttoir)
    It's been done before:

Abba-Dancing Queen (Death Metal Version) - YouTube
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

abbyful is offline Member
    A couple people in my office are having birthdays today, so of course there is all sorts of food in the break-room. I overheard several of my co-workers rationalizing why the cake was "healthy" so they shouldn't feel bad eating it: because it has coconut, pineapple, and mandarin oranges in it.

<archer> is offline Junior Member
    Funny CW moment: every time someone thinks I don't eat meat....

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by <archer> View Post
    Funny CW moment: every time someone thinks I don't eat meat....
    Yeah, wtf? I told someone that I didn't eat wheat, and she in turn assumed that I was a vegetarian. -.-

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Seen today a set of dips and chutneys made with 'extra virgin canola oil'.

Nice.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sires6 View Post
    On another note, my thoroughly entrenched in-laws are coming in 2 weeks and my thoroughly CW and diabetic mother is coming today. What to feed them? It's not that I can't feed them, it's that I don't want to hear the whining about "we should only have 1 egg a week, cholesterol is bad for us" (we raise our own chickens, goats for meat, turkeys, ducks and geese) or "we don't eat that kind of food" comments ad nauseum.
    Just serve them what you eat and then comment on their lack of stomach aches later in the week. Or lie and say the eggs are substitutes.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

treborix is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    They are both in their mid-sixties. I predict both will be dead before their 70th birthday, if they carry on with the vegan stuff. Normal vegans/vegetarians never see their sixtieth birthday, but in their case they only took it up late.

It is their daughter I feel sorry for. She doesn't have any kids yet, and when she does her children are unlikely to know their maternal grandparents.
    I really do take objection to this. My mother and step-father have been vegetarian for 20 years. Both in their sixties. They are fit and active. No they're not the pillars of health that they might be if they'd been primal for that time but they're a long way from death yet. Would you count in their 40s as starting late?

Their health isn't perfect but they're fit and active if recent years are anything to do by - they're still a long way from their coffins. I'm working with my mother re diet, but it's tinkering stuff because there's no moving away from the fact that their religion prevents them from consuming meat.

Actually these conversations with my mother led to a funny moment the other day (whilst waiting for my stepdad, stepsister and her husband to turn up on their lunch stop during a 55 mile cycle across mid-devon/dartmoor) where my mum told me that they're using oil olive for low temperature cooking and rapeseed oil for high temperature cooking (she's taken on board my rants about general vegetable oils). I pointed out that rapeseed oil is rubbish too. She looked crestfallen and tried to argue that no it's good. So I asked where she'd heard that because it was probably from the people who produce the stuff. She conceded.

Got a work story too. Actually two.
    1) my team leader is diabetic. Type one. Recently she made us all bacon rolls and brought in some chocolates in reward for having been the best team in our centre. She served up all the rolls and someone offered her one back but she refused because she didn't want to have to inject insulin again. And then she sat and ate some of the chocolates. (I changed teams after about a month of primal. I had my old team leader trained to serve me bacon on its own, new team leader just won't learn(
    2) please don't judge me for the politics on this one but I was on the picket line today as my union was on strike. I took bacon to share. My best friend at work is also one of our union reps so he was there too. After 6 months of treating me like I'm crazy because I eat bacon without bread he scoffed not just one piece but two. This is my lovely friend who acts all offended when I suggest he gives up pasta and claims it would be against his heritage (he's half italian). And I suspect I will have many more stories to tell about him because writing this out brings more to mind.

Right, back to catching up on the last 40 pages.