Page 388 of 879 FirstFirst ... 288338378386387388389390398438488 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,880 of 8788

Thread: Funny CW moments page 388

Trifith is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    last night in class we are making braised pork belly and tenderloin and such. One student makes a sauce and says "Here try this." I ask what it is and basically it boils down to some braising liquid and some maple syrup and some molasses. She is adding some butter as we are discussing ingredients and when I decline the offer of the sauce she says, "Oh, it is healthy. I only put in a little butter." Yes, because the 2-3 cups of sugar in there are just great for me.
    And I thoght I was being bad by using pan drippings with a little corn starch for my gravy. :P Not really though, how much damage could 1 teaspoon of corn starch mixed into 2 cups of pan drippings and cream do if I only put a couple of teaspoons of it on my meat anyway.
    Warning: I'm an anarcho-capitalist political activist. It gets into everything.

Journal

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Imagine how I looked on with disgust yesterday as a chap at work ate two scones followed by a low fat yoghurt because he "didn't want to go overboard with the calories".
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trifith View Post
    And I thoght I was being bad by using pan drippings with a little corn starch for my gravy. :P Not really though, how much damage could 1 teaspoon of corn starch mixed into 2 cups of pan drippings and cream do if I only put a couple of teaspoons of it on my meat anyway.
    Good question! I've wondered about that myself. Hope we get an answer.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I understand completely what you are saying and agree to an extent. However, at what point do you just say "F*ck it, the food sucks there is nothing I can do about it?" If I am not feeling any ill-effect I do not worry too much about deficiencies and such. Perhaps I should. I just think it sends the wrong message when a new/er poster reads "PBP is so great! I feel so much better eating healthy foods like my 40,000 IUD of Vit D and my fish oil and my magnesium and my iodine suppliment and my zinc, oh, and my iron, and my multivitamin, and my...." I'm really not trying to knock you or anyone specifically. I am sure there are suppliments that we all could benefit from including myself. I think sometimes it just gets a little ridiculous, and I sometimes want to ask, "WTF are you eating if you need that many suppliments?"

Anyway, I am glad you have found what works for you. I hope everyone finds the way that works for them.

As for CW...

last night in class we are making braised pork belly and tenderloin and such. One student makes a sauce and says "Here try this." I ask what it is and basically it boils down to some braising liquid and some maple syrup and some molasses. She is adding some butter as we are discussing ingredients and when I decline the offer of the sauce she says, "Oh, it is healthy. I only put in a little butter." Yes, because the 2-3 cups of sugar in there are just great for me.
    Wait..wait..class? Cooking? More info please
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    There's this 49ers fan forum I partake in. They have a thread titled, the world of diet and fitness. I've flipped through the hundreds of pages this thread has; and no one chiming in on the Paleo scene. Either way, the topic shifted to protein shakes; and there was mention of oatmeal as part of the package. And, being the likely sole voice of Paleo, there (ironic since most of the people participating there are from the bay area [don't really know why it would be ironic, but I figured there would be some Paleo following there, but I digress]), I suggested to take out the oatmeal for the reasons I'd usually state. One rebutted saying he NEEDS carbohydrates. I, then, responded back with there are other sources of carbs, like fruits, starches, and vegetables. He then says, but we want him to get full.... great...right?

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Good question! I've wondered about that myself. Hope we get an answer.
    I do not have an 'official'/good answer. I look at it like this - before I would have made the gravy, eaten two bread rolls, and some corn with it. Now I cut all that out except for a small amount of thickener. Seems like a win to me. That said, I don't eat gravy often (once a month or so)

Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    Wait..wait..class? Cooking? More info please
    sent you a PM
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

[QUOTE=canio6;772708]I do not have an 'official'/good answer. I look at it like this - before I would have made the gravy, eaten two bread rolls, and some corn with it. Now I cut all that out except for a small amount of thickener. Seems like a win to me. That said, I don't eat gravy often (once a month or so)/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's the "permission" I needed to thicken gravy with cornstarch or flour.

sent you a PM

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Thanks, that's the "permission" I needed to thicken gravy with cornstarch or flour.
    Well, I do not want to be Mr. Enabler Guy, but life is too short to obsess over every little thing (at least in my mind). That said, just do not start spreading it to other things - "I used to eat 3 snickers so 2 is okay" or "I took a 20 minute nap so who needs to sleep tonight?" Not that you would do that of course

Kind of like the CW of "These are fat free so I can eat as many as I want right?"
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

[QUOTE=canio6;772817]Well, I do not want to be Mr. Enabler Guy, but life is too short to obsess over every little thing (at least in my mind)./QUOTE]

Exactly right. Life is too short to obsess over the little things.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    (ironic since most of the people participating there are from the bay area [don't really know why it would be ironic, but I figured there would be some Paleo following there, but I digress])
    Oh, we're out here, but we are still few and far between

New CW rant: so my roommates (whom ive ranted over here many times) always get fat free milk, and usually a giant gallon jug of it. Yesterday, I was moving stuff around in the fridge so I would have room to put a tub of defrosted chicken stock and a pyrex container full of pork and squash stew I had just made, when i realized the label on their big jug of milk was slightly different; there were like fancy, scroll-y letters on it. I looked closer, and saw that this was still milk from the local dairy corp, and it was still fat free, but this jug was advertised as being special new "creamy" fat-free milk. With growing suspicion, I turned the bottle around and read the ingredient label.

Im sure you can guess what I found: a lot of weird fillers and thickeners, and the piece-de-resistance...SUGAR! Yep, fat free milk with added sugar. To the dairy corps credit, they have little asterisks next to all the additives in the milk, with a subscript identifying that these additives arent found in normal milk. But I guarantee that my roommates sure didnt look at that part of the label, and im sure they wouldnt care even if they did.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!