Page 387 of 869 FirstFirst ... 287337377385386387388389397437487 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 8685

Thread: Funny CW moments page 387

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I was chatting to my Mum-in-law's hairdresser the other day. She's pretty overweight, and said something about me being 'nice and slim', so I told her how I used to be two and a half stone bigger. Mum-in-law explained that I'd stopped eating bread, and I explained that I eat 'all the vegetables, meat and fish I want, and some dairy, fruit and nuts.'
    'So is that like Slimming World?'
    'Er, no. No, it isn't.'
    (I hadn't heard of 'Slimming World', but it seemed like a safe answer. Turns out -
    Non-vegetarian free trial menu - Healthy Eating - Slimming World
    - that it really was.)

I've given her the address of the site and the title of the book.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I don't think I can get everything I need from my food, but if I'm going to take a supplement, I'd better have a good reason for it. So I do take magnesium because it keep the migraines away (and it's not really in the soil much anymore). If I know I'm not eating as well as I should, I'll sometimes take a multi and some fish oil. That's about it.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    I was chatting to my Mum-in-law's hairdresser the other day. She's pretty overweight, and said something about me being 'nice and slim', so I told her how I used to be two and a half stone bigger. Mum-in-law explained that I'd stopped eating bread, and I explained that I eat 'all the vegetables, meat and fish I want, and some dairy, fruit and nuts.'
    'So is that like Slimming World?'
    'Er, no. No, it isn't.'
    (I hadn't heard of 'Slimming World', but it seemed like a safe answer. Turns out -
    Non-vegetarian free trial menu - Healthy Eating - Slimming World
    - that it really was.)

I've given her the address of the site and the title of the book.
    Ummm sceptically they eat pasts and I think I saw skinny cow. Ewes lo
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I don't think I can get everything I need from my food, but if I'm going to take a supplement, I'd better have a good reason for it. So I do take magnesium because it keep the migraines away (and it's not really in the soil much anymore). If I know I'm not eating as well as I should, I'll sometimes take a multi and some fish oil. That's about it.
    I gotta say, I had no idea about magnesium until I started to see chatter about it here on the boards. I decided to give it a try, along with kelp pills for just a little bit of iodine supplementation. I've been feeling run down and depressed a lot lately, more so than it being winter should account for, and also ive been having a steady flow of spotting for a couple weeks which I chalked up to my body just getting finicky about my still-new IUD, and my readings indicated that one or both of these things might help with these issues.

So i got a bottle of each, took a magnesium pill and kelp pill with dinner, and the next morning my energy was WAY back and my heavy spotting had COMPLETELY stopped. Ive continued this for a few days now and the results are holding steady.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I had no idea either. My non-Primal boyfriend and I were independently doing research on the net, trying to figure out a way to stop the migraines which were coming almost weekly and lasting 3 days. We came across it at almost the exact same time and it has been a lifesaver. Helps with sleep too.

I absolutely love my magnesium. Just got a new bottle today that's chelated, which should be much kinder to the rest of my system.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I realize people go honkin' crazy over the newest woo pill, but I try to do due diligence and make sure I'm not deficient in basic nutrients, but I don't see supplements as saviors or prefer them to good food. But again, how do you know you're not deficient given the choices offered in the supermarket?
    I'm not saying that all supplementation is bad or unnecessary but sorry, you will not convince me that a certain way of eating is correct and healthy and then tell me to take a bunch of supplements. If it correct and healthy I would not need them. Of course, that does not apply to those with recognized deficiencies, medical issues, or those who have no access to sun etc. I mean for the average grok (for lack of a better term).
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Gotd: allergies +earache
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Baloo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I'm not saying that all supplementation is bad or unnecessary but sorry, you will not convince me that a certain way of eating is correct and healthy and then tell me to take a bunch of supplements. If it correct and healthy I would not need them. Of course, that does not apply to those with recognized deficiencies, medical issues, or those who have no access to sun etc. I mean for the average grok (for lack of a better term).
    I get your point canio but even in a primal way of eating there are variations. The only supplement I take is fish oil, because I'm not a huge fan of seafood so only eat it occasionally. If I liked fish more I'd eat it more regularly and ditch the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is that like anything, it's nutrition on a continuum.

E.g., grass-fed local beef > grass-fed non-local beef > "organic" beef > grains

Or, organic local produce > local non-organic produce > organic long-distance produce > long-distance produce

So the question becomes, where on the nutrition continuum does your food fall? Are you ALWAYS eating not only PB but also grass-fed/pastured local and organic, local produce and fruit? In today's food supply chain it's almost impossible to ensure that the tomato you just ate is as nutritious as a tomato that would have been raised 100 years ago, unless you know that it came from your own garden or a trusted farm.

Taking supplements isn't a vote of no-confidence for PB, it's a vote of no-confidence of the food supply grid. So when summer rolls around and the CSA veggies are here and I can buy from farmer's markets, the only supplement I take is a multi as a very basic fallback. IMO, most people who eat PB and don't have access to year-round fresh are probably seasonally deficient in at least some basic nutrients. How do we know we're not? Are we willing to gamble that a magnesium or D-3 deficiency is OK half the year?

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is that like anything, it's nutrition on a continuum.

E.g., grass-fed local beef > grass-fed non-local beef > "organic" beef > grains

Or, organic local produce > local non-organic produce > organic long-distance produce > long-distance produce

So the question becomes, where on the nutrition continuum does your food fall? Are you ALWAYS eating not only PB but also grass-fed/pastured local and organic, local produce and fruit? In today's food supply chain it's almost impossible to ensure that the tomato you just ate is as nutritious as a tomato that would have been raised 100 years ago, unless you know that it came from your own garden or a trusted farm.

Taking supplements isn't a vote of no-confidence for PB, it's a vote of no-confidence of the food supply grid. So when summer rolls around and the CSA veggies are here and I can buy from farmer's markets, the only supplement I take is a multi as a very basic fallback. IMO, most people who eat PB and don't have access to year-round fresh are probably seasonally deficient in at least some basic nutrients. How do we know we're not? Are we willing to gamble that a magnesium or D-3 deficiency is OK half the year?

I understand completely what you are saying and agree to an extent. However, at what point do you just say "F*ck it, the food sucks there is nothing I can do about it?" If I am not feeling any ill-effect I do not worry too much about deficiencies and such. Perhaps I should. I just think it sends the wrong message when a new/er poster reads "PBP is so great! I feel so much better eating healthy foods like my 40,000 IUD of Vit D and my fish oil and my magnesium and my iodine suppliment and my zinc, oh, and my iron, and my multivitamin, and my...." I'm really not trying to knock you or anyone specifically. I am sure there are suppliments that we all could benefit from including myself. I think sometimes it just gets a little ridiculous, and I sometimes want to ask, "WTF are you eating if you need that many suppliments?"

Anyway, I am glad you have found what works for you. I hope everyone finds the way that works for them.

As for CW...

last night in class we are making braised pork belly and tenderloin and such. One student makes a sauce and says "Here try this." I ask what it is and basically it boils down to some braising liquid and some maple syrup and some molasses. She is adding some butter as we are discussing ingredients and when I decline the offer of the sauce she says, "Oh, it is healthy. I only put in a little butter." Yes, because the 2-3 cups of sugar in there are just great for me.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony