Page 386 of 881 FirstFirst ... 286336376384385386387388396436486 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,860 of 8801

Thread: Funny CW moments page 386

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Well, to be fair, as a fat guy who has tried a bunch of WOE/diets etc I had never seen so many suppliments being touted as when I joined MDA. Check out some posts and the person's list of suppliments is longer than their food log. As such it seems to be neither funny nor CW.
    Totally agree. To the common MDAer, my list of supplements is practically nothing.
    Georgette

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Well, to be fair, as a fat guy who has tried a bunch of WOE/diets etc I had never seen so many suppliments being touted as when I joined MDA. Check out some posts and the person's list of suppliments is longer than their food log. As such it seems to be neither funny nor CW.
    All I take is Vitamin D and...
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    zero supps here
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Me neither. I am sometimes completely bewildered by some people's absolute resistance to taking any sort of medication while at the same time some of those same folks will take gobs of almost any new miracle supplement under the sun.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    when I first started Primal.. I started taking D3, fish oil a multi...blah blah.. really?? Ugh.. If I am eating real food.. why why whu..not to mention.. ooo they bad for the tummy.
    Karin

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Shawn Mihalik is offline Member

Maureen M is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Mihalik View Post

OMG THIS MUST MEAN THAT THE ICEES YOU GET AT THE MOVIES ARE PACKED FULL OF ANTIOXIDANTS TOO!! I mean....they're in the same food group right? Or the antioxidants in the popcorn get rubbed off onto the icee's during purchase right? So I can have as many icee's as i want??

btw what are antioxidants?

Should I have them?

I'm almost positive that half the world doesn't reallyknow what antioxidants are. Or what they do.

I hate studies like this.

I understand the argument against supplements, but then there's also the idea that on the SAD people are overfed and undernourished. So great, go Primal: but are the veggies we're eating really nutritious enough to meet levels of optimal nutrition? Are the meats, if people can't afford grass-fed and pastured meats and eggs? Are the fish, if they're not wild-caught?

In winter, I'm buying vegetables and some fruits that come from hundreds if not thousands of miles away, hence not picked at the height of freshness, from soils that may have been depleted of nutrient content from lack of mindful stewardship, losing nutrition in the process of transit. So I do tend to supplement more in the months I don't have my regular CSA box pickups, just as I supplement more D-3 in winter to compensate for lack of sun exposure. (Freezer is always full of good grass-fed and pastured meat and wild fish!)

Maybe it's a waste of money, and yes I realize there are bioavailability issues in supplements as opposed to real food sources, but I don't think supplements per se are totally woo. (Maybe Dr. Atkins' "Vita-Nutrient Solution" had too much of an impact on my thinking?)

In the off-season, I take a multi, B-complex, C, D-3, magnesium, and CoQ10. In summer, I usually pare down to just a multi and a lower dose of D. Sometimes I add in reishi or cordyceps mushrooms as adaptogens.

I realize people go honkin' crazy over the newest woo pill, but I try to do due diligence and make sure I'm not deficient in basic nutrients, but I don't see supplements as saviors or prefer them to good food. But again, how do you know you're not deficient given the choices offered in the supermarket?

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen M View Post
    I would straight up LOVE THAT JOB. I'm almost positive no one would notice. No one ever really reads the things after they're written and go through fact check....

Corrupt young minds while working for the man???

sign me up.
    I work in digital education and I have actually subtly tweaked my work to dance around CW. I cant come outright and say stop eating grains, but I have steadfastly refused to write anything about whatever Health Plan Du Jour is being peddled by the government (on the argument that the recommendations change every few years anyway so it would be better to use my time developing material on how to read and understand nutrition labels. I like this attach myself since if a student can understand those better they better are set up to make their own decisions, instead of blindly listening to marketting). I also flat-out wrote a problem saying that dietary cholesterol doesnt cause heart disease, inflammation does.

I did go so far as to change another writer's work one time: he wrote an ecology problem talking about how eating less meat can help save the environment. I changed it to talk about how growing your own vegetables and buying local can help save the environment. Hes a contract writer and Im staff so I have the final say in it anyway.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Re: supplements - all I take is iron, because just about every time I've tried to donate blood in the last year-plus, I've been told my iron was too low (and there was no shortage of iron-rich foods in my diet even pre-Primal).