Page 382 of 880 FirstFirst ... 282332372380381382383384392432482 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,820 of 8800

Thread: Funny CW moments page 382

Mogs is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I used to lurk in the weight loss/fitness threads on the penny arcade forums, but after adopting a primal way of eating/living, it was really frustrating for me to continue to read them, so I haven't been on there lately.

I had a friend over last night who had eaten some pre-packaged tomato basil soup (with a daunting ingredients list) with bread.
    Her: If I had to cut out gluten/grains, I don't know what I would eat.
    Me: Real food.

Shawn Mihalik is offline Member
    Actually, it's a supplement and nutrition shake similar to Mark's Primal Fuel (although it does have more carbs than Primal Fuel, but not a ton). If someone's using it for weight loss, they're probably using with the wrong goals in mind. In fact, I took a look at the ingredients list, and it looks fairly Primal to me, except for the tropical version, which is vegan and I believe uses soy protein instead of whey.

I believe Beachbody encourages using Shakeology in conjunction with p90x2 for recovery and muscle gain. Of course, I've been seeing great results without it just by eating Primaly.

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Mihalik View Post
    Actually, it's a supplement and nutrition shake similar to Mark's Primal Fuel (although it does have more carbs than Primal Fuel, but not a ton). If someone's using it for weight loss, they're probably using with the wrong goals in mind. In fact, I took a look at the ingredients list, and it looks fairly Primal to me, except for the tropical version, which is vegan and I believe uses soy protein instead of whey.

I believe Beachbody encourages using Shakeology in conjunction with p90x2 for recovery and muscle gain. Of course, I've been seeing great results without it just by eating Primaly.
    Beachbody encourages shakeology with everything - mainly because you have to keep buying it.... Not a weightloss shake, not and awful supplement but making a shake out of real foods (which I do frequently) tastes better and costs far less - shakeology is $100+ for one 5lb bag, and depending on how often you are drinking it...
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracil View Post
    B: Yeah, and I don't know if I want to mimic the diet of someone who expected to die of infection or mammoth stampede before the age of 50.
    I think this one wins the "Are You F--ing Kidding??" award.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracil View Post
    Any of you on the Penny Arcade forums? There's some serious CW goosery in their weight loss thread. Well, the one in social entropy, which in general is filled with more silliness (unfortunately, the one in the debate and discourse forum is kinda slow).

A: "Oh it'll definitely have to change. Between high cholesterol and probable diabetes (should know in a few days), I definitely need to reduce the amount of fat, especially animal fat, that I'm taking in. Less red meat, and less meat overall. And both Jess and I eat more sweets than we should. We're on the path to eating even better, so it won't be a huge deal since we both like to cook most of our meals. But it will definitely mean some changes. So less red meat, less fats (especially bad fats), smaller portions of meat, less sugar, and more veg in general.
    Fortunately Jess is awesome and is very supportive, so that will make it much easier."

So I responded with, highlighting the meats and fats section: "Does not compute. Where are you getting this? Invariably, every "animal foods make you unhealthy" study I've seen has turned out to be filled with confounding factors, correlation = causation media hype, and/or data that actually *goes against* that conclusion.

Now, there are definitely unhealthy fats, but I'd say most of it is in the form of all the "vegetable" oils that became popular in the past few decades rather than the animal fats our great grandparents grew up and cooked with. "

This was followed by the following responses:

A: No, bacon is not healthy for you.
    B: Our great grandparents died at age 65. You might not want to take them as your first example.
    C: But cavemen ate nothing but bacon and look at them!
    D (with a Ron Swanson avatar): The best part about the paleo diet is the horrible constipation and the fact that you stink constantly. But you lose 10 pounds!
    A: Yeah, I have a friend who's really into the paleo diet. While it's not an unhealthy diet overall, the rationale for it is stupid as fuck and you can definitely eat just as if not more healthy by including some foods in moderation that would be excluded under paleo.
    B: Yeah, and I don't know if I want to mimic the diet of someone who expected to die of infection or mammoth stampede before the age of 50.

Then it devolved into talking about eating gummis and getting diabetes. Serious facepalm.
    I wish I was more surprised I mean, the hard-core nerds are My People afterall, I know what its like. But then, I also think it makes me MORE upset when I see nerds scoff at what Im doing. Hell, many of them scoff at healthy living IN GENERAL, no matter what school its from. They just dont see maintaining their body as important.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Shawn Mihalik is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabbecky View Post
    Beachbody encourages shakeology with everything - mainly because you have to keep buying it.... Not a weightloss shake, not and awful supplement but making a shake out of real foods (which I do frequently) tastes better and costs far less - shakeology is $100+ for one 5lb bag, and depending on how often you are drinking it...
    Oh, I totally agree with you here. Shakeology and other overpriced supplement shakes are completely unnecessary, and I certainly don't buy them myself. I was just clarifying that Shakeology isn't bad as far as those things go.

Dracil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    I wish I was more surprised I mean, the hard-core nerds are My People afterall, I know what its like. But then, I also think it makes me MORE upset when I see nerds scoff at what Im doing. Hell, many of them scoff at healthy living IN GENERAL, no matter what school its from. They just dont see maintaining their body as important.
    I considered replying, but decided not to bother. Later update confirmed he had diabetes and was prescribed several drugs including statins. If he'd rather mock those trying to help him and take statins and other pills till he dies than actually *be* healthy, well he is just another random dude on the internet to me after all. *shrug*
    Last edited by Dracil; 03-22-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Jaradel is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fabbecky View Post
    Oh, I totally agree with you here. Shakeology and other overpriced supplement shakes are completely unnecessary, and I certainly don't buy them myself. I was just clarifying that Shakeology isn't bad as far as those things go.
    Can you think of a good reason why a 12 year old girl would need to drink a Shakeology shake? Not trying to be snarky, I really am looking for an honest answer.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Chatting to a type 1 diabetic co-worker today and he brought up how it is hard at work when people bring in treats. I mention that I cut out wheat etc and we started chatting. During the conversation he said "you know I went to the doc saying how bad he felt after eating bread, and how it seemed to mess with his blood sugar" Doc told him to keep eating it because "bread and grains are healthy".

On the plus side he is now going to read the Primal Blue Print and Wheat Belly to quote him "It looks like I won't be eating bread anymore"
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Chatting to a type 1 diabetic co-worker today and he brought up how it is hard at work when people bring in treats. I mention that I cut out wheat etc and we started chatting. During the conversation he said "you know I went to the doc saying how bad he felt after eating bread, and how it seemed to mess with his blood sugar" Doc told him to keep eating it because "bread and grains are healthy".

On the plus side he is now going to read the Primal Blue Print and Wheat Belly to quote him "It looks like I won't be eating bread anymore"
    I thought that when you went to the doctor and said, "Doctor it hurts when I do this" that they would say, "Then don't do that!" When did it become acceptable to tell a patient to keep doing something that makes them feel bad "because it's healthy"? I'm sure a Celiac sufferer wouldn't appreciate that.

I'm trying to believe that this is just garden-variety stupidity and not something more sinister, like doctors being paid by Big Agra to keep pushing the "grains are healthy" trope.

Sort-of side note: Anyone remember the X-Files movie from 1998, where Mulder and Scully were tracking down this big conspiracy surrounding the bees and the corn crops, and aliens hibernating underground? Things that make you go hmmmm....

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter