Page 38 of 888 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138538 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny CW moments page 38

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by zsadie View Post
    What I find interesting is someone could eat and live with modern CW mentality for their whole life and still manage to live their life without any major health problems. How is it that some people just don't develop health problems and others do on the same diet?
    Are you sure you know someone like this? Someone who doesn't have and has never had eczema, allergies, constipation (would you know? a lot of us hide it well!), gas, BO, appendicitis, gall bladder removal, insomnia, rheumatoid arthritis, cavities, infertility, PMS, enlarged prostate, impotence, no libido, fatigue, dry/painful/cracking skin/mucus membranes, thin/icky hair/skin, prolonged labors, insufficient milk supply, c-sections, myopia, presbyopia, backaches, ....

Until I started to gain weight after a particular intense bout of antibiotics, I think most people who know me would think I have/had no health problems at all. Even my husband, who naturally gravitated away from grains & sugar his whole life, had seasonal allergies (which went away entirely with our dietary change and household elimination of chemicals) & eczema (greatly reduced) & a few other very minor health complaints that have disappeared with a change to whole, real, low- or no-grain eating.

We all react differently to the poisons we eat and are surrounded by, depending on what they are, our genetics, and our family inheritance (nutritional deficiencies and gut imbalance passed from generation to generation until someone puts an end to it or the family line ceases to be able to reproduce). Some of us have more visible problems (weight, handicap, chronic outward illness, cancer...) and others are lucky enough to be able to hide it well, whether b/c of the nature or size of the problem.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    This week I posted a facebook status update that shared my joy with the world that I needed to go out and buy a new belt because I had run out of holes since dropping 3" off my waist over the past 90 days while eating bacon 4-5 times a week. One friend replied "yeah, but you gave up all the ice cream, cookies, beer etc..., is it worth it" and another one chimed in with "how good is that when you are clogging up your arteries and damaging your health in the process". I let it go at that and deleted my post, I just didn't have the energy to post a rebuttle to such terrible ignorance.
    lol! I posted a facebook status about using belt holes I've never used before (of course I'm a perverted sicko so I had to make it into a dirty euphamism muhahaa) I multiple people were virtually orgasming with joy that I had gone up a belt hole from eating all that bacon, meat, and coconut oil lathered veggies and very little "healthy" whole grains. Then I had the last laugh bursting their bubbles telling them I went DOWN several belt holes.

Some people just get off on seeing other people fail, especially when they yo-yo with various low fat "healthy" crash diets.

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    My work colleague just ate tons of sandwiches for lunch so I said (kinda tongue in cheek as he knows I don't eat bread) that his BS would be sky high and he would get sleepy. It got us into talking about carbs and he insisted that you need carbs to live etc etc So I asked him how can I exist (I eat VLC most of the time) and he said because you burn fat .... er what??

Anyway I then ask him what he would eat if he had to go out in the wild today and find some food. I pointed out that there is nothing much growing out there in January. I then asked him what did our ancestors do? and he said they would have stored some grains....

OK so what did they do before agriculture? What about hunter gatherers? Oh well they would dig up tubers etc. Anyway, they were different to us!

OK so I point out that homo sapiens have been around for around 200,000 years much longer than agriculture. I also point out that people existed throughout Ice Ages etc in very cold climates and there wasn't much vegetation we could digest.

Then he tells me about how ancient man used to run long distances.... and I said why? to hunt potatoes? No because they were persistence hunting animals!

OK then.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Great story!

Oh well they would dig up tubers etc
    That frozen ground is very conducive to tuber-digging, huh?

Persistence hunting is a lot of stops and starts, not consistent running, and if you check out the video on youtube, there was only one guy in the whole tribe, so it seemed to me, who was able to do it the whole 8hrs it required. Most of the rest of the tribe was back home doing the other stuff needed, I'd guess.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Had a funny one last night. I belong to a "race club" made up of triathletes, runners and cyclists. Our annual party was last night. the food was 5 kinds of pizza and salad. The salad did not get a whole lot of attention but the pizza flew out of the boxes. Someone was kind enough to bring some sliced turkey and roast beef and it just sat there un-opened. I saw that and ripped into it. I had a big plate of salad with turkey and roast beef piled on top.

So I arrive at my seat with 9 pizza guzlers around me at the table. One stops and asks if I'm doing "the clense diet". I sais, "no, I don't do those crazy things, I just eat stuff my body likes and fuels me best for my active lifestyle" I got the blank stare and a shoulder shrug. She went back to eating her pizza while telling me about her 12 year old daughter's diabetes. HEADSLAP !

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that is a headslapper. Hopefully slapping HER head though.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Karate Lisa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
    As a guy who likes to walk around barefoot as much as possible, I still get this question every once in a while, including this morning while at the farmer's market (yes, you read right -- and no, not everything is local) on campus.

-_-

Ha ! You should see the looks I get in my Vibrams !
    "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karate Lisa View Post
    Ha ! You should see the looks I get in my Vibrams !
    Trust me I get many of the same looks/reactions when I wear VFF as well. I've become adept at reading peoples' eyes as they pass; it's rather amusing.

I wore my VFF to play basketball this past weekend and got a few comments... all positive, one was curious about ankle support but that just comes with building up your foot/ankle strength over time... etc.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

jandge is offline Senior Member
    This isn't really funny, but I don't feel like making an entire thread about it.

My sister things eating beijing beef Panda Express is mostly primal. u_u

Then she asked me seriously if it was cool to be vegetarian on this WOE. She hasn't been primal for a full week (not even giving it a good shot) and she's giving up. She even read the entire PB book.

I won't push it with her, BUT COME ON!
    Last edited by jandge; 02-02-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
    Congenital Hypothyroid
    CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Are you sure you know someone like this? Someone who doesn't have and has never had eczema, allergies, constipation (would you know? a lot of us hide it well!), gas, BO, appendicitis, gall bladder removal, insomnia, rheumatoid arthritis, cavities, infertility, PMS, enlarged prostate, impotence, no libido, fatigue, dry/painful/cracking skin/mucus membranes, thin/icky hair/skin, prolonged labors, insufficient milk supply, c-sections, myopia, presbyopia, backaches, ....

Until I started to gain weight after a particular intense bout of antibiotics, I think most people who know me would think I have/had no health problems at all. Even my husband, who naturally gravitated away from grains & sugar his whole life, had seasonal allergies (which went away entirely with our dietary change and household elimination of chemicals) & eczema (greatly reduced) & a few other very minor health complaints that have disappeared with a change to whole, real, low- or no-grain eating.

We all react differently to the poisons we eat and are surrounded by, depending on what they are, our genetics, and our family inheritance (nutritional deficiencies and gut imbalance passed from generation to generation until someone puts an end to it or the family line ceases to be able to reproduce). Some of us have more visible problems (weight, handicap, chronic outward illness, cancer...) and others are lucky enough to be able to hide it well, whether b/c of the nature or size of the problem.
    I agree. When I went off gluten I lost symptoms I didn't know I'd had. For example, I thought how my stomach felt before was the normal sensations of a working stomach. Now I know it was actually feeling tender, very bloated and uncomfortable. I'd been that way all my life, I didn't know. And what about invisible problems. For example no one but my husband knew about my need to rush to the loo several times first thing in the morning, that meant I couldn't for example set off early for a train trip (no loos in the station or on the local trains).

And how many things are there that we think are normal for older people, which are actually about diet. For example, my MIL has type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Try telling her to cut down on the desserts though! She's always been very thin so she thinks that means she eats well. My husband may seem healthy now, but I think he's quite lethargic considering he's not even 40 yet, and his genes will kick in sooner or later.

Some people are more resilient than others, for sure. Not everyone who eats gluten gets as sick as I did. But I think everyone would benefit from this WOE, just in having more energy for example, even if they don't have overt health problems (yet).
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman