Page 340 of 838 FirstFirst ... 240290330338339340341342350390440 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,400 of 8371

Thread: Funny CW moments page 340

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    Picture of Cola ad

wholesome!! scientists!!
    This would've been just that slightly more funny/sad if it had been made back when the drink still had cocaine.

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Ugh. That's just kind of...gross. No offense to diabetics but the idea of a communal used needle bin just kinda squicks me out. Maybe that's just my issues with needles/syringes in general talking. Well, people gotta do what they gotta do, I suppose.
    If that squicks you out, consider that what was probably happening before was people throwing it away in regular trash to be horrible little surprises for the janitorial staff. Sharps containers=Good. Sharps containers that people actually use=Very Good.

Mogs is offline Junior Member
    Okay, all this talk of Klingons has dragged me away from merely lurking in this thread. My husband and I have hosted a Star Trek party in the past, and our next one is in a week! (mostly star trek themed drinks, most of which are NOT primal, but we do have crazy looking glasses that we etched with Starfleet, Ferengi, Borg, and Klingon insignias) Our attempts at food this time around will be as close to primal as we can get them.

To contribute to CW craziness, my husband came home last week and told me he saw some whole wheat flour at the store with a label claiming, "No Grain, No Gain". We had a good laugh (I wish he had snapped a photo)

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    I've never watched the show before, but I am a huge Portlandia fan and I can't help but wonder if their Battlestar Galactica addiction sketch is a realistic scenario.
    Obviously the sketch ends up hyperbolic at the end, but the beginning? Yes. It is exactly like that. It is so good.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxmane View Post
    You know what I love? Seeing the minds of others just break when they try to comprehend this way of eating.

Perhaps first some background is in order. I am on a product development extracurricular organization and am heading a team working on a Greek yoghurt-based tart dessert for a competition with a large cash prize. Yesterday, we were trying to find the ideal pectin concentration to make a jelly to sit atop the tart itself without being too firm or gummy, which is a rather narrow window to try to hit. Unfortunately, developing a dessert means I sometimes eat rather more sugar at a time from the need to taste than I am used to, and this rather upset my stomach yesterday. I mentioned the fact that I was not so used to sugar rushes anymore since I stopped eating the refined sort of my own volition along with grains for my health. One of the undergraduates on the team just stared in shock.

"You don't eat any grains?!"

"Er... mostly not, no."

"How in the world is that healthy?"

"What on earth would I need from grains that I couldn't find in more abundance in other, more flavourful foods? Tell me that."

*Pregnant pause*

"...fiber?"

"Vegetables. Try again."

"B-vitamins?"

"Did you pay attention in biochemistry at all? Meat. Try again."

"You're on the Atkins diet, aren't you?"

"...no. My diet is French. I subsist on cream sauces, butter and egg yolks with meat and non-starchy vegetables for garnishment. I eat my potatoes drowning in cream and good cheese. All my meals have a foundation of green vegetables. The only thing missing is bread."

*Ye Blank Stare*
    stealing that quote for my signature!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Looooooooooove Kaylee. And Captain Mal--yeah. Hey, Nathan Fillion is from my city and his parents still live here, and I could have sworn I saw him early one morning last week getting a coffee.

But your Kaylee-love is pretty clear from your avatar.

Such a nerdy threadjack.
    NF is the bomb. I like to imagine how he'd look if he went primal and lost some weight (he's a HUGE dude, very tall & very jacked circa Dr. Horrible). I don't get people's infatuation with Kaylee, men or women. My guy friends in college wanted to bone her for her cute mechanic deal, and girls love her...why? I find her obnoxious. I find the dude characters much more interesting and amusing in Whedon productions.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    As a grad student, I have to say that the current trend toward nerds as hotties is something I can totally support. Also, I only date other geeky types because I can't even consider dating someone who doesn't get it when I make weird RPG-related jokes about critical fumbles and +1 spatulas of cooking awesomeness or when I want to watch a Red Dwarf marathon.
    A-MEN! There are so many geeky and pop-culture references in my everyday speech, that if I hadn't married a geek I wouldn't be able to talk.

I'm also going to put in a shameless plug for NerdFitness, which is a community where nerds can level up their life. A good portion of the members practice Primal/Paleo eating and Lifting Heavy Things... in fact I found the link to MDA over at NerdFitness.

Oh - and for my fellow Trek fans - remember The Trouble With Tribbles? What a coincidence that the tribbles died of starvation after gorging on the grain. They said that the grain was poisoned.... I say the grain itself was the poison. Makes so much more sense now
    Last edited by Jaradel; 02-23-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I don't get people's infatuation with Kaylee, men or women. My guy friends in college wanted to bone her for her cute mechanic deal, and girls love her...why? I find her obnoxious. I find the dude characters much more interesting and amusing in Whedon productions.
    THANK YOU for this. I don't understand why everyone thinks Joss Whedon's stuff is so feminist. His female characters all suck. Kaylee is a stereotypical bubbly girly character who's basically the Horse Whisperer of machines. She's not "logical" in her work; she "feels" her way through it with feminine intuition. *~Sparkles~*! Because god forbid she be good at something stereotypically masculine AND have strong, stereotypically masculine personality traits. What is this, a show for hairy feminist bulldykes? NO, we need more *SPARKLES*~!!~

Yes, I know there is another female character that is more "tough", but she has like no personality at all. She fades into the background so much I couldn't even tell you much about her based on what I remember from watching the show.

BSG has waaaay better female characters. Forget Starbuck, even. How about Cally? She's small and she works with machines, but she's not lame and seemingly obsessed with proving she's still girly under all the grit like Kaylee. The female characters in BSG are primarily PEOPLE who happen to be female, not caricatures.

I am a big fan of this article.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 02-23-2012 at 11:43 AM.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Actually, my love for Kaylee stems from the fact that she ISN'T the typical femme. She is the engineer type for that universe (score 1), she's not afraid to be herself (ala the episode with ball when she was talking shop with the guts after being snubbed by the chicks) (score 2), and while she is more stereotypically feminine than I'd care for (esp her room and some of her bubblier moments), I do identify with her. She is the character most like myself. That is why I like her.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Owly is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    THANK YOU for this. I don't understand why everyone thinks Joss Whedon's stuff is so feminist. His female characters all suck. Kaylee is a stereotypical bubbly girly character who's basically the Horse Whisperer of machines. She's not "logical" in her work; she "feels" her way through it with feminine intuition. *~Sparkles~*! Because god forbid she be good at something stereotypically masculine AND have strong, stereotypically masculine personality traits. What is this, a show for hairy feminist bulldykes? NO, we need more *SPARKLES*~!!~

Yes, I know there is another female character that is more "tough", but she has like no personality at all. She fades into the background so much I couldn't even tell you much about her based on what I remember from watching the show.

BSG has waaaay better female characters. Forget Starbuck, even. How about Cally? She's small and she works with machines, but she's not lame and seemingly obsessed with proving she's still girly under all the grit like Kaylee. The female characters in BSG are primarily PEOPLE who happen to be female, not caricatures.

I am a big fan of this article.
    Oh, I suffer under no illusion that Whedon is some great feminist. I just sort of have a crush on Kaylee (and wish she hadn't been written as such an unrelentingly straight woman--I want more queerness on TV, and I don't mean in the form of hawt lesbians written for sexual titillation). I agree that Kaylee is sparkle-ized, but I also kind of dislike it when only butch women are portrayed as being good with mechanical stuff because I find it problematic when "masculine" women are the only ones shown as being techie types because it reinforces the association of mechanical skill with maleness.

But like you, I wish more women characters were written as people and not a bundle of stereotype and objectification. Sigh. A girl can dream.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal