Page 304 of 873 FirstFirst ... 204254294302303304305306314354404804 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,040 of 8727

Thread: Funny CW moments page 304

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by elainevdw View Post
    Regarding cat food, a lot of cats are allergic to fish protein. It's like celiac, they like the taste but it screws up their GI tact over the long term and can lead to IBD/bowel cancer. Of course some cats eat fish and are fine. I keep thinking that contributed to my grain-free cat dying at 4 years old.
    I knew about them being lactose intolerant, but I never knew about that. We usually give the cats the leftover juice from the tuna cans, but that's mostly oil or water anyway.

Good to know.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I knew about them being lactose intolerant, but I never knew about that. We usually give the cats the leftover juice from the tuna cans, but that's mostly oil or water anyway.

Good to know.
    My cats refuse anything but dry food. I've tried all sorts of raw and cooked meats, even the obvious ones. They turn their noses up at it.

Except...pork chops.

And ham.

I just...some days I don't know if I actually own cats or some mutant species of pig-eating feline.

fastjane is offline Junior Member
    i know this is a super old post but yeah during my weight watchers days, my lecturer told us to wash out mince after cooking it to get rid of the fat.
    I never did it, tho.... but I know lots who did.

Jane

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Many cats get addicted to the filler (usually grains) in dry food just like people do. I slowly slowly mixed wet in with dry for mine, transitioning him slowly. He loved meow mix, so that was my transitional crap food. I'm trying to transition him from crap wet food to real food, but he's balking at that, too. But his health is so much better than when he was on the high quality dry food before.

At one point, he was on 50:50 no-grain high quality dry food and no-grain wet food. He got fleas. We took all the dry food out and the ffleas went away, including the ones that had spread to the house, with no effort on our part.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    I have 14 cats (mostly barn, except for winter when it is cold and the pickin's are slim outside!) and there are some weird eaters in the bunch... I have 1 (who just had kittens before Christmas) who loves broccoli. Seriously loves it. We always give the animals left overs and table scraps (which I feel way better about since going primal) and Isis turned her nose up at pork to eat broccoli instead - one of the kittens did the same thing!

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    I once had a cat who would walk past a steak to get to a tomato.

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post

Good to know.
    Yeah, my vet even went so far as to discourage meats like beef for our sick one. I think the idea is that feral cats eat birds and mice, which makes chicken, quail, and rabbit more biologically appropriate proteins for sensitive cats.

Ours was a rare case, but I still get paranoid about that stuff. I'm trying to figure out an inexpensive way to do raw at home without the vet getting all up in my face about salmonella and toxoplasmosis. :/ She said that stuff doesn't bother the cats with their carnivorous immune systems, but she thinks it's irresponsible regarding the humans living with the cats.

I haven't found a wet food that our cats like more than their dry food that doesn't have fish in it yet. But, they eventually got reeeeeally fond of ground chicken/turkey with the Feline Instincts nutritive additive and little chunks of liver.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    My chunky, cranky, whiny kitty has almost had a complete attitude adjustment since I've started transitioning her to grain-free. I noticed that every time I bought Iams, she'd whine constantly about FOOOOOOD!, and could easily eat twice the recommended serving for what would be her normal weight. It was like she was constantly starving, and she's never known true starvation like a street cat or neglected animal would.
    So, I mixed the half bag of Iams i still had with C&P Ultramix (no wheat, corn, or soy) and went about feeding her that for a week. She seemed rather content, singing to me in the morning instead of shrieking. Then, I started alternating the dry food with Wellness grain-free wet food, and she LOVED that. My next step is to mix her current dry food that still has rice, tapioca, other grains with Evo.
    She has lost a little bit of her belly and seems less irritable, so here's to the successful making of a Primal Kitty!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elainevdw View Post
    I haven't found a wet food that our cats like more than their dry food that doesn't have fish in it yet. But, they eventually got reeeeeally fond of ground chicken/turkey with the Feline Instincts nutritive additive and little chunks of liver.
    If you live near a Petco or don't mind ordering online, try Soulistic (it is only available at Petco because it's their own brand). It is one of the best grain-free wet foods I have found. The chicken in gravy variety looks and smells exactly like shredded chicken soup, and my cats gobble it up (even the picky one). It looks and smells so good that I would not be opposed to even eating a spoonful of it myself, which is saying something as far as catfood goes. Be careful with the chicken and pumpkin one though because pumpkin notoriously affects their, uh.. output. I keep a can on-hand only for use in curing digestive issues.

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member
    We were eating dinner today, turkey roast, really nice and one of our cats the boy one brought in a dead mouse and started flipping it around under the table. My wife squealed and said, "erghh the mouse just hit my leg!" I laughed and then immediately felt the mouse hit me in the leg. The mouse was rescued from a disgruntled looking cat by my children and was promptly buried in a Lego coffin in the back garden, seriously. My seven year old boy made the coffin for such an occasion and had it in storage.

Last spring, i came down stairs in the morning before anybody else and found two rabbits, one dead the other almost dead. The cat had brought them both in through the Cat Flap I kid you not!!

Anyway those were my two cat stories.... bye