Page 30 of 879 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130530 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny CW moments page 30

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    At work the other day, a colleague asked me what I was doing to lose weight and "look so great." I told her that I was grain and sugar free and eating nothing processed.

She said "Oh No!! But you need wholegrains for energy!"

This was at 7am when I had just pulled a 10 hour night shift with 2 code blues, no break, no caffeine and nothing to eat except an apple and a chunk of cheese that I'd shoved down while doing paperwork..... No energy!!!! WTF?!

And she's a nurse too

Vozz is offline Senior Member
    my mom is a nurse as well and has mentioned to me that since starting pb she doesnt have to nap during her night shifts any more.
    she also use to nap during lunch hour.

as a side note, i remember over hearing a girl in my class talking about how she has to eat every 2 hours otherwise her body stops functioning.
    she is fit and eats pasta for lunch.
    We need to have a global discussion about the epidemic of donut murder

Starting Weight: 238 lb
    Current Weight: 224 lb
    Goal: 190-200 lb
    Height: 6'-0"

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    From my journal: I was talking with someone about New York City's ban on trans fats in restaurants, and they grouped Crisco and lard together as if they were the same thing... I said that lard isn't a trans fat, so they then guessed that butter was a trans fat, which I shot down, and then they guessed coconut oil, which I also shot down. Granted, this person is a student and doesn't cook, so I suppose they shouldn't be expected to know too much about nutrition, but it's funny how saturated fats get grouped with trans fats under 'bad fats' when one of them is naturally occurring and the other is an abomination of nature. This just reinforced to me how little most people really know about nutrition and health.

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    From my journal: I was talking with someone about New York City's ban on trans fats in restaurants, and they grouped Crisco and lard together as if they were the same thing... I said that lard isn't a trans fat, so they then guessed that butter was a trans fat, which I shot down, and then they guessed coconut oil, which I also shot down. Granted, this person is a student and doesn't cook, so I suppose they shouldn't be expected to know too much about nutrition, but it's funny how saturated fats get grouped with trans fats under 'bad fats' when one of them is naturally occurring and the other is an abomination of nature. This just reinforced to me how little most people really know about nutrition and health.
    Truth. Many people only know to avoid today's unhealthy buzzword. Free association generalizations like; 'fat is bad, so low fat candy must be good!' is where we get 'coconut oil and animal fats are trans fats.'

I remember in the mid 90's when there was a 2 month period where everybody went ape shit about eggs because of their cholesterol content. Hence, egg-beaters and egg white omelets were born.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I remember in the mid 90's when there was a 2 month period where everybody went ape shit about eggs because of their cholesterol content. Hence, egg-beaters and egg white omelets were born.
    Oh man, people are still ape shit about eggs... I remember a girl telling a friend of mine not to eat so many eggs (with the yolks) because they would give her cholesterol problems... and all us aren't even 25 yet! Not exactly the most health-conscious age group. Normally I try not to bring up PB, but since this girl was already giving unsolicited and incorrect advice, I said that there are new studies showing that eating dietary cholesterol doesn't necessarily raise your cholesterol, and the girl said, 'Well, they're always coming out with studies showing different things.' I wasn't sure who 'they' refers to, or what makes the older studies any more reliable than the newer ones (if anything it seems like it would be the opposite), but I decided to let it go at that point.

Oh and my yoga instructor told me that it's 'safe' to eat 2 egg yolks a week. LOL... I eat 2-4 a DAY on most days of the week. She also kept on telling me to drink milk, and when I said that I think I may have a mild lactose intolerance, she suggested low-fat milk instead. And this woman is one of the most in-shape people I know... she's 40-something but looks 25.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    The egg thing -- even people who are into CW are shocked if you tell them the American Heart Association says it's perfectly fine to eat an egg every day. (Of course that's on the conservative, low side compared to what many others suggest -- and what many here do!) But if you're trying to startle someone who insists eggs are bad, whip that little factoid out. :D

Low-fat milk somehow being better for lactose intolerance? Yeah uh FAIL. Lactose is not a fat, honey. XD

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Great "CW moment" today at my local butcher shop. Had a conversation with my "usual" guy, told him the eggs they sell are the best I have seen in the city and I hope they keep selling them. I've been buying two dozen a week. He said, oh yeah, he hasn't had any for months, and not much meat either. This is a GREAT butcher shop serving the Greek community in NYC. I said, what are you a vegetarian? He said no, but his doctor told him to cut out eggs and beef even though he loves them, and has always had very low cholesterol and no health problems at all. And he works in this great butcher shop with naturally raised lamb up the wazzoo and pastured eggs.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I got another one from my boss today:
    I told him I couldn't eat wheat, as it caused major issues (came up because of a presentation lunch I need to go to.) His response: "Well, I'm sure that they'll offer the sandwiches on white or wheat. if nothing else, we have hot pockets here at the office or we can stop and get you something after the meeting." FACEPALM (except for the stopping to get me food bit. That was kinda cool of him.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Awww, niaidknight, that was sort of cluelessly sweet of your boss. Like the time my husband told me, "This jacket isn't leather! It's suede."

But definitely clueless. Heheh.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    tfarny - what is the name of the Greek place with the eggs?