Page 289 of 838 FirstFirst ... 189239279287288289290291299339389789 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,890 of 8380

Thread: Funny CW moments page 289

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Meegeek View Post
    My wife and I just went primal on the 1st. The other night she cooked a 12 oz Tbone for each of us. She is really getting into the lifestyle, but is having a problem getting over "all that fat we are eating" issue. We were feeding bits of steak to the dog (chihuahua) who is pretty picky eater but loves steak. My wife cut a big piece of fat and gristle off her steak and put it on my plate. I, of course ate it. She told me it was supposed to be for the dog and just shook her head.

Lead by example I says.....
    She'll come around. I was super hesitant about the fat too for awhile but ive gotten used to it. Part of the trick was realizing there is a difference between nice, marbley fat and actual crunchy, squidgy gristle that you cant eat unless the meats been slowcooked.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    She'll come around. I was super hesitant about the fat too for awhile but ive gotten used to it. Part of the trick was realizing there is a difference between nice, marbley fat and actual crunchy, squidgy gristle that you cant eat unless the meats been slowcooked.
    That was the ick I had with "fat." After several cooking experiments, I can poke a hunk of raw fat on a steak or roast and tell you whether it'll be tasty melt in the mouth gooiness, flavor fat with it's own lovely texture, or gristle/ cartilage/ silverskin that either take long cooking to go away or NEVER go away.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    That was the ick I had with "fat." After several cooking experiments, I can poke a hunk of raw fat on a steak or roast and tell you whether it'll be tasty melt in the mouth gooiness, flavor fat with it's own lovely texture, or gristle/ cartilage/ silverskin that either take long cooking to go away or NEVER go away.
    Urg, god, silverskin, I hate it so much, I have yet to find a way to remove it that doesnt end up with meat juice all over me and my kitchen.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Urg, god, silverskin, I hate it so much, I have yet to find a way to remove it that doesnt end up with meat juice all over me and my kitchen.
    Alton Brown has a way that works well for me. It's kinda hard to eplain, but here goes.
    Find roughly the middle of the silverskin, lengthwise. Cut a slit just deep enough to penetrate said silverskin (heh, penetrate) and long enough for the width of your boning knife. Work the length of the knife just under the sliverskin until you either reach the end of it or a couple inches (you make end up removing the silverskin in strips.) If you can't reach the end of it, poke a hole on the other side like your earlier slit. Once you have your knife in there, start sawing back and forth, away from you just under the silver skin, until you can get an finger under the silverskin. Lift up the silver skin and peel it away, using the knife to keep the peel going. Repeat until silverskin is gone.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    ...What's silverskin?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Kimelah is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    ...What's silverskin?
    I just google-imaged it, and now I know EXACTLY what it is. That stuff is just... wrong. I'm sure something non-edible could be made with it (thread to sew up a stomach bladder?), but it's certainly not for human consumption. Unless it is, and it's some exotic recipe that actually makes it palatable.

Silverskin is that tissue that binds muscle tissue together as one cohesive mass on the outside. That silvery white stuff on the outside of the muscle.
    It's considered inedible. I've had it even survive 24 hr slow cooker chili. Hell, even my omnivorous dog will only work on it for a few seconds before walking away. I don't know that any culture considers it worthwhile, as it's essentially a version of rubber.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Silverskin is that tissue that binds muscle tissue together as one cohesive mass on the outside. That silvery white stuff on the outside of the muscle.
    It's considered inedible. I've had it even survive 24 hr slow cooker chili. Hell, even my omnivorous dog will only work on it for a few seconds before walking away. I don't know that any culture considers it worthwhile, as it's essentially a version of rubber.
    The anatomical term for it is fascia.

The anatomical term for it is fascia.
    Thanks! I didn't know that, but it's cool to know, if only to one up my kitchen friends.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    None of you know of the importance of gristle and silverskin. Gristle is yummy and silverskin is the original (and primal) form of chewing gum.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.