Page 226 of 871 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326726 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 8704

Thread: Funny CW moments page 226

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by MadelynMc View Post
    This isn't exactly related to that, but I feel the need to share. I was talking to my dad on the phone one day last week and he was telling me that he picked up some egg rolls at the natural foods store and he had an allergic reaction to them. He described it as asthma, heart palpitations, trouble breathing, etc. I said "Wow. That sounds like you had a reaction to MSG. A lot of people are sensitive to it (*everyone is*)." He was like "No I think it was this potassium stuff that was on the ingredient list." Okay, dad. The next morning he called me because he Googled MSG and read about all the side effects and figured out that it really has like 50 different names on ingredient lists. Now he's all worked up over it and claims he has figured out he's allergic (Derp. We all are). He keeps calling me talking about how he looked up all these restaurants (and fast food) and they all use MSG! Shocker. I've been trying to tell him these things for a couple of years now. Anyway, it's like he doesn't take anything seriously unless he discovers it himself. I think it's a man thing.
    Same thing happened to me with a good friend who is a skinny fat avid cyclist developing a middle aged paunch since he passed 40. He joyfully told me about how he had cut out the sugary sports drinks and had dropped five pounds. Arrgg. How long have I been trying to tell him this? Sometimes you just have to let them get to it in their own way.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Same thing happened to me with a good friend who is a skinny fat avid cyclist developing a middle aged paunch since he passed 40. He joyfully told me about how he had cut out the sugary sports drinks and had dropped five pounds. Arrgg. How long have I been trying to tell him this? Sometimes you just have to let them get to it in their own way.
    Oooh oooh! Cognitive bias. A favorite subject of mine. There's a saying: "You cannot be a prophet in your home town." People are hardwired to ignore the advice of close friends and family. Among the lists of cognitive biases, this one's called "the Interloper Effect"; i.e., the tendency to trust the input of 3rd parties in a debate or discussion. This is why consultants can make a living!

And now a fun list of cognitive biases, for your reading pleasure! The Interloper Effect isn't among them, but that's Wikipedia for you.
    List of cognitive biases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    +1
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    my boss is all about dieting dieting dieting! today, one of her friends came in and picked up some food bar that my boss had. she looked at the label and was like "240 calories?!? holy moly!!" and my boss was like "Ya, but its like a meal!" and friend was like "Ya, but still!"

ahgghghggjfagh just eat FOOD!

Kimelah is offline Senior Member
    That's like expecting your car to run on air. Calories = fuel!

MadelynMc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Oooh oooh! Cognitive bias. A favorite subject of mine. There's a saying: "You cannot be a prophet in your home town." People are hardwired to ignore the advice of close friends and family. Among the lists of cognitive biases, this one's called "the Interloper Effect"; i.e., the tendency to trust the input of 3rd parties in a debate or discussion. This is why consultants can make a living!

And now a fun list of cognitive biases, for your reading pleasure! The Interloper Effect isn't among them, but that's Wikipedia for you.
    List of cognitive biases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    So. True. My family basically thinks I have some sort of eating disorder because I don't eat grains (and other things). Nevermind the fact that I eat lard like it's going out of style. I swear if Dr. Oz promoted it, they would take it as the gospel.

So. True. My family basically thinks I have some sort of eating disorder because I don't eat grains (and other things). Nevermind the fact that I eat lard like it's going out of style. I swear if Dr. Oz promoted it, they would take it as the gospel.
    Oh! Didn't you know? There is already a label out there. It's called orthorexia nervosa. It's for people who have a fixation/obsession with healthy eating. So, we're all orthorexics!

Oh! Didn't you know? There is already a label out there. It's called orthorexia nervosa. It's for people who have a fixation/obsession with healthy eating. So, we're all orthorexics!

sarah1990 is offline Senior Member
    This girl I live with is trying to lose weight and her idea of "healthy" food is so warped.

She was cooking steak and using butter to grease the pan and kept saying how unhealthy it was to be cooking steak AND doing so in butter.
    She also snacks on popcorn - wtf?

Plus we were in the grocery store and she said she wanted to buy margarine instead of butter as it apparently "tastes better" - since when?!

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Cooks Illustrated magazine did an article taste testing different butters. Kerrygold didn't rate very high because people didn't like the "artificial, movie popcorn flavor". HUH? Best butter on the planet tastes artificial??

I was just in the hospital. Soon after I regained conciousness I was given ice water and a popsicle. Ingredients? Water - water. Popsicle -water, sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup....I stopped reading after that.