Page 205 of 879 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255305705 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 8788

Thread: Funny CW moments page 205

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by tplank View Post
    I guess part of what kills me is the trust so many place in medical professionals. Ignorance is indeed bliss. The human body is a complex thing. What is so hard to believe about it taking a while for the medical practice to catch up with the research? I sure hope I never take the opinions of professionals in such a blind and trusting manner.
    This is a major part of the problem. Doctors are supposed to be these brilliant people that are trained for year after year to the be the experts on health. If you are the average person you believe you should listen to whatever a doctor tells you to do. Unfortunately the allopathic medical model is based on treating disease and not on optimizing health. The drug companies have a heavy influence on what is taught in med schools. If anyone thinks that doctors are going to be taught that something like primal/paleo can not only prevent but possibly reverse diseases it would be laughable.

If you have need immediate medical care, surgery of you have some type of infection, doctors are great. If you have some type of chronic disease, let the doctor diagnose you and then start doing your own research. Find a good functional medicine doctor, a naturopath orTCM practitioner.

Quote Originally Posted by ELizabeth826 View Post
    I was at meetings all day yesterday with people from my team and people from the client team. My coworker had brought two dozen Dukin Doughnuts to, “put everyone in a good mood” She and a woman from the client team had 3 each and complained about it several times during out afternoon session.

Also during the afternoon session, one of the guys from the client team (who has cancer!!) was like, “I don't know how you people can drink that,” while pointing to a bottle of water and drinking a diet coke (he drinks diet coke CONSTANTLY).

Several others around the table started chiming in about “Oh water is so good for you no calories blah blah blah.” And he said, “Oh, well diet coke doesn’t have any calories.” To which I responded, “Yeah, but it has tons of chemicals.” He replied, “Without chemicals life would not exist.” (Such a smart ass.) And I said, “Sure, but I mean weird, scary chemicals that aren’t found in nature.” And mercifully that is where the conversation ended because I was THIS CLOSE to accidentally responding, “Sure, but I mean weird, cancer causing chemicals.”

Which would have been absolutely horrible (though hilarious for everyone not involved I’m sure).
    It's amazing that someone could have cancer and keep drafting anything with aspartame. It would take all of 10 seconds for someone to type "aspartame, cancer" in google and never drink it again. It's criminal that oncologists barely even try to help people improve their diets when they have cancer.

chumbert is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    This is a major part of the problem. Doctors are supposed to be these brilliant people that are trained for year after year to the be the experts on health. If you are the average person you believe you should listen to whatever a doctor tells you to do. Unfortunately the allopathic medical model is based on treating disease and not on optimizing health. The drug companies have a heavy influence on what is taught in med schools. If anyone thinks that doctors are going to be taught that something like primal/paleo can not only prevent but possibly reverse diseases it would be laughable.

If you have need immediate medical care, surgery of you have some type of infection, doctors are great. If you have some type of chronic disease, let the doctor diagnose you and then start doing your own research. Find a good functional medicine doctor, a naturopath orTCM practitioner.
    My daughter is in Nursing School and was studying for a test the other night and all the sudden she said," Mom, it says here that coconut oil is bad for you. You should eat canola, safflower or sunflower oil instead."

She knows that I have started using coconut oil... I told her that there are studies on both side of the argument and recent studies that dispute the original conclusions on coconut oil. But, I told her to answer the questions on her test the way her text book is written. I can't confuse her during her studies, but as soon as she is through, I am giving her the paleo/primal talk!

Quote Originally Posted by chumbert View Post
    My daughter is in Nursing School and was studying for a test the other night and all the sudden she said," Mom, it says here that coconut oil is bad for you. You should eat canola, safflower or sunflower oil instead."

She knows that I have started using coconut oil... I told her that there are studies on both side of the argument and recent studies that dispute the original conclusions on coconut oil. But, I told her to answer the questions on her test the way her text book is written. I can't confuse her during her studies, but as soon as she is through, I am giving her the paleo/primal talk!
    Isn't that crazy? They are still teaching information that is based on the lipid hypothesis even though all of the scientific studies have destroyed the lipid hypothesis. If your daughter didn't have you to guide her she would think that gmo industrial seed oils are more desirable then coconut oil.

MetalBeth is offline Member
    Isn't that crazy? They are still teaching information that is based on the lipid hypothesis even though all of the scientific studies have destroyed the lipid hypothesis. If your daughter didn't have you to guide her she would think that gmo industrial seed oils are more desirable then coconut oil.
    It sure doesn't help to see registered dieticians posting crap like this in a public forum:
    "Healthiest fat sources are those that contain a higher amount of polyunsaturated fat and monounsaturated. Things like: fatty fish, nuts, seeds, peanuts, avocados, olive oil, canola oil and other liquid vegetable oils. Unhealthy fat sources are those with a higher amount of saturated fat and trans fatty acids."

Not to keep dogpiling on sparkpeople's staff, but good gawd. Who signs their paychecks?
    2011 - The year I went Primal
    Start weight: 198 / Waist: 32"
    CW: 158.5 / Waist: 28"
    GW: 145-ish
    Supplements: Calcium and O-3 in AM. Natural Calm, Valerian Root Extract and sublingual Melatonin in PM (for lifelong chronic insomnia).

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I agree. My wife is in med school and they devoted almost zero time to nutrition. In defense of med schools, there is a TON of material that must be covered. But as we know, nutrition is very important and at the root of many diseases. If they'd just teach them that processed foods are to be avoided as much as possible it would help tremendously. That's the one thing that pretty much anyone can agree on about nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I agree. My wife is in med school and they devoted almost zero time to nutrition. In defense of med schools, there is a TON of material that must be covered. But as we know, nutrition is very important and at the root of many diseases. If they'd just teach them that processed foods are to be avoided as much as possible it would help tremendously. That's the one thing that pretty much anyone can agree on about nutrition.
    The allopathic medical model is based on treatment of disease not prevention. The focus of med school is not about how to make people healthy but how to treat the symptoms of disease. The Flexnor report of 1910 turned the medical system into an allopathic system based on petroluem based drugs.

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    This whole thread makes me want to become a medical doctor just to push a point in my own practice. There's just one issue with that. If I give out this kind of medical advice, I won't be covered by insurance!

Screw the system.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Quote Originally Posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
    This whole thread makes me want to become a medical doctor just to push a point in my own practice. There's just one issue with that. If I give out this kind of medical advice, I won't be covered by insurance!

Screw the system.
    Yup. I bet plenty of doctors have figured out that a large portion of their education is total BS, but if they go against the system they open themselves to medical malpractice.

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Yup. I bet plenty of doctors have figured out that a large portion of their education is total BS, but if they go against the system they open themselves to medical malpractice.
    Doctors who have lots of money already should be doing their work for FREE, with a signed waver that says all medical advice is BACON ORIENTED and must be consumed on a regular basis.

That way, we can spread the bacon, and nobody can say otherwise.

Once there's enough proof that it works, the FDA will shut down, ENTIRE INDUSTRIES will shut down, my wife will eat a piece of bacon, and all will be well in the world.

(wakes up)

Oh right, reality .....
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"