Page 2 of 872 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny CW moments page 2

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Sometimes all you can do is laugh to yourself. I guess I'm learning to pick my battles.

A lot of people can't fathom the idea of not eating grains and excessive amounts of carbs. It's sort of amusing how they just can't comprehend it, as if I had told them the moon is really made of swiss cheese.

I love how this one guy I work with complains that he's always hungry. No wonder. He's always eating "breakfast bars" and Snickers. :P

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

I had my mom telling me "What are you doing buying so many eggs?...are you eating more than 3 a week?! You will die!"

(In her defense I was buying around 60 at the time...it was organic anti-biotic free for 25cents apiece)

Ecala is offline Junior Member

What is CW?? I know I asked this in another thread I can't find but I am still wondering what it is? something obvious I suppose.

Tarlach is offline Member

CW = Conventional Wisdom

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

gazb is offline Junior Member

Diana Renata, people just not comprehending not eating grains and excessive carbs is very familiar. I was having breakfast with my friend last week, and opted for a cooked breakfast: bacon, sausage, eggs, tomato, mushroom. She looked at it and exclaimed, "oh no, you forgot to order toast!!" and sympathetically gave me one of her pieces (she had gone for a "light" breakfast of toast and jam; I prefer my breakfast to have some sort of nutritional value). Similarly I've had "where's the rice?" when eating chilli.

I also find that my parents just don't comprehend the idea. I've mentioned my new eating habits to them, but they still insist on giving me a ton of rice or potatoes with my meal, and seem surprised when I don't eat it all. I recently moved into a new place, and my mum gave me a big bag of food so I at least had something to eat to start off with... and it was full of bread, cereal, pasta, jam, and honey!

Then there's my Dad cooking burgers. He'll diligently pour out all the fat that dripped off the burgers because he's "health conscious" and wants to avoid the "artery clogging saturated fat", then stick his burger in the biggest, fluffiest white bun he can find, cover it in sugary ketchup, and maybe even have dessert afterwards.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Tarlach-- THANK YOU. ha. It was driving me nuts.

Madame P is offline Junior Member

I get a lot of comments about fiber. Like, "You don't eat any grains, even whole grains? Where do you get your fiber?"

Um, they're called "vegetables," and according to Fitday, they're giving me around 40 grams of fiber a day, with a helluva lot more nutritional value than your precious whole grains.

Kryz is offline Junior Member

Not so much funny as annoying/embarassing: I'm pretty sure my female roommate thinks I'm crazy now. Before I basically said I was doing gluten-free because I suspected gluten intolerance (which is true, but not the whole story of course; also she has an AWFUL memory about that and will offer me something grain-based at least once a day on average). The other night my boyfriend and I were in the kitchen talking, it was his first day primal and he was going through the sugar/grain withdrawal, saying how bad it must've been for me because I had such a sweet tooth, etc.

My roommate pops in and asks what we're talking about, so I have to explain that we're doing this low-sugar grain-free no-processed-foods thing, and that when you first cut those out you pretty much go on sugar withdrawal, and she gives me this 'you're CRAZY' look and goes "oh, so, like some sort of diet?" "Uh, not really a diet, moreso a lifestyle change..." "A 'lifestyle change'? Uh huh. But sugar is GOOD!"

She's basically been surviving on carbs for a while now, lots of cereal, bread, pancakes, pasta, rice, fruit, etc. We had popcorn one night and she said it'd taste so much better with butter, but butter is 'bad'. I hardly ever see her eat protein or fat. And of course she sleeps really late, is tired a lot, rarely has energy during the day then gets spikes of it at random times later on...bleh.

On a related note: my boyfriend doesn't have a huge sweet tooth but he would eat a lot of pasta and bread and drink soda regularly. On his first day of primal he was pretty much crying to me about really really wanting candy and chocolate and anything with lots of carbs/sugar. Crazy what your body will make you want when it's desperate.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

@Madame P: And you don't even need fiber. This comes up frequently here. Google "Fiber Menace" and see what this doctor has to say about fiber.

I'm a Kerouac/Beat aficionado/expert? One of the thing I notice reading On The Road or other period books, was the faith that eating red meat and dairy via milkshakes and ice cream was thought to do one well. I noticed this years before I became aware of Primal, grains, and carbs. The football players would eat these foods, Jack would do so as much as possible. That was the CW of the day, early to mid 20th C. Now we have a different CW. It took 50 years to brainwash the public and scientists, so don't expect any different.

Here is a link where Jack stopped and had a milkshake. Although not identified in OTR, it was the old Johnson's Corner truck stop in what was the south end of Longmont, CO. The page and pictures are mine: http://www.pbase.com/pzo/kerouac_gas_station_longmontco

Catalina is offline Member

Does anyone else know folks who rinse their ground beef after cooking to get rid of the fat? A friend, who is very health-conscious in a CW way, told me she does that. I was amazed--never heard of it before.