Page 196 of 894 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246296696 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 8933

Thread: Funny CW moments page 196

chumbert is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This is absolutely, atrociously, horrifically disgusting. It is smart to avoid ANY food "product" with the words "better than" or "smart" on it. This is an absolute tragedy:

Ingredients: Water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, isolated soy protein, maltodextrin, tofu, non-dairy lactic acid, sugar, locust bean, guar and carrageenan gums, salt, vegetable mono and diglycerides, and potassium sorbate (added as a preservative).

Compare that to the ingredients of normal cream cheese:

Ingredients: PASTEURIZED NONFAT MILK AND MILKFAT, CHEESE CULTURE, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, GUAR GUM, CAROB BEAN GUM.

How the HELL is that "better than" anything? Hydrogenated PUFA oil, water, processed tofu, thickeners and sugar...versus milk, cultures and thickener. Man, that pisses me off. Trader Joe's has a "better than peanut butter", too. The ingredients on that make me dry heave. Just awful.
    Unfortunately this has been the only alternative to the dairy version for people that are lactose intolerant.... "Better than Cream Cheese" and "Better than Sour Cream". My Mom still eats this, but I will no longer. Sad...

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    That's actually legit. My mom always said the only reason to have margerine is because it makes flakier crusts than butter. But the dab inside was always butter.
    Shortening is the vegetable oil substitute for lard. If you really want nice pastry (grain issue aside), animal fat is the way to go.

Speaking of: one thing I do miss is my grandmother's Yorkshire pudding, which she made the old-school way with beef fat. That stuff was massively addictive.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Shortening is the vegetable oil substitute for lard. If you really want nice pastry (grain issue aside), animal fat is the way to go.

Speaking of: one thing I do miss is my grandmother's Yorkshire pudding, which she made the old-school way with beef fat. That stuff was massively addictive.
    Ive been reading a bunch of books on meat and apparently the best fat for pie crusts is leaf lard, which is this special extra crumbly sort of fat that is packed around pork kidneys.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    That's actually legit. My mom always said the only reason to have margerine is because it makes flakier crusts than butter. But the dab inside was always butter.
    No, it makes a "shorter" crust; less flaky than butter, more crumbly. The ultimate "shortening" is lard, but Crisco was said to be "healthier". Half lard and half butter is where it's at, for a perfect pie crust ;0)
    ETA after I caught up with the above comments. Tallow tastes a little "beefy" to me for pie use unless it's steak-and-kidney or beef pot pie. Lard rendered from regular pork fat is better but not ideal for a dessert pie. Leaf lard if you can get it is the preferred fat for sweet pastry because it doesn't taste "porky". I have a hard time getting it from my butcher because even the local rendering place just doesn't want to take the time to save it for me.
    The best source has been a local farmer who butchers a few dozen head a year for CSA folks, and the mobile butcher trucks that service local farms. They're often more willing to save the random bits, especially if you're willing to pay by the pound.
    Last edited by mixie; 10-20-2011 at 11:07 AM.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    While we're on the subject: The Food Lab: The Science of Pie Dough | Serious Eats: Sweets

I don't eat wheat, but I still find all of the Food Lab articles very interesting. Lots of good science and answers to "why?" questions that come up when cooking.

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Sad: A coworker is in the hospital due to a massive blood infection complicated by type II diabetes. After a month he was finally recovered enough to get solid food... and they gave him watermelon. This nearly blew our other coworker's gasket... She's been staunchly ignoring his nagging for her to bring him orange juice, and there goes the hospital giving him fructose anyway.

I actually never knew he has diabetes. I would always ask him if he wanted anything from the minimart when I was making a trip and most of the time he asked for a non-diet Coke. :/

On the other hand, our "NO OJ!!!" coworker has very particular tastes regarding food. I think her two favorites are red wine and avocados. Now that I'm doing primal, how she eats is starting to make more sense, especially how she "doesn't like" sweets. I guess that's why she's so trim even though she's around my mom's age. I thought maybe it was genetics (she used to be a dancer) plus all the cigarettes, lol.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

Dracil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppy View Post
    If she wants bold flavor, maybe she should drink barbecue sauce.
    To be fair, the barbecue sauce would most likely be filled with flour and sugar so would be even worse.

Was at one of my favorite Thai restaurants yesterday and got my usual dishes of grilled pork shoulders and crispy stir-fried pork belly that the table next to us also happened to get. And they were just talking about how unhealthy the pork belly was because of all the fat between the skin. I just rolled my eyes at my girlfriend, then later remarked when I was full (and we'd only finished 1.5 plates of 3) how satiating fat is without sugar.
    Last edited by Dracil; 10-20-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Uppy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracil View Post
    To be fair, the barbecue sauce would most likely be filled with flour and sugar so would be even worse.
    You're right, but I say go big or go home

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    So my mom says (while we're eating pistachios), did you know that these are lower in fat than other nuts?
    Me: That's okay, the salt makes up for that. Plus I have some whipping cream in the fridge.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Primal Rick is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just saw on Facebook that a friend had been trying some "magic shakes" to lose weight and had also been selling them to other people. Sounded like MLM garbage. The post I caught was her apology to everyone because she was realizing her shakes did not work. I decided to take the opportunity to send her a private message about PB. I started with a little background, telling her about our hunter-gatherer roots, etc. I then told her about my own experience, which includes 12 pounds weight loss in 2.5 weeks, and my personal favorite, the end of a lifelong battle with GERD. Below is my summary paragraph of the message I sent here, along with her response....

me: If you are serious about wanting to be healthy, the answer is not shakes, deprivation, calorie counting, ridiculous amounts of exercise, or any of the other crap you have always heard. It is eating real foods; plants, animals, seeds, nuts, and even moderate amounts of dairy. Check out the link and let me know what you think....

friend: is it a pill?