Page 175 of 901 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275675 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 9007

Thread: Funny CW moments page 175

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I wonder what people thought we did for millennia before the invention of the athletic shoe in the last century. Apparently all people before that time were absolutely destroying their flawed, flawed feet by daring to run without the assistance of Nike, Adidas, and their friends.
    You only need to look at modern-day hunter-gatherers or even just people living in developing countries where it's normal to be barefoot all the time to see that they have much, much stronger feet.

MadelynMc is offline Senior Member
    I think the shoe thing touches on my philosophies (and I'm sure it's true for you guys, too) about almost everything now. Why do I need to take a pill? Isn't my body designed to work correctly? Why do I *need* this or that? We create problems for ourselves, then we create solutions that don't address the problem and create other, different problems. Etc. Etc. It's maddening. People never ever question why we *need* shoes, we *need* drugs, we *need* sunscreen, and then you're crazy for questioning it. The quote about being disconnected from the matrix pretty much sums it up. People just don't get it. Sometimes it does make me feel crazy, lol. Because it's all so simple.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Madelyn, you make a good point. We're conditioned from an early age to believe that problems are best solved by spending money. Sick? Buy a pill. Bored? Buy some entertainment. Unfit? Buy exercise equipment, magazine subscriptions, gym memberships, nutritional supplements, instructional DVDs, ad infinitum. Billions of dollars are made reinforcing the mentality of dependency, while very little money can be made teaching people to be self-sufficient.

Even Vibrams exploit this conditioning. Want to free your feet? Don't go barefoot; you might hurt yourself. Instead, buy these special shoes that mimic bare feet. Don't get me wrong, I love my Vibrams (mostly for wearing in places that require shoes). But they are not necessary to walk properly.

The myth that life's challenges require consumer solutions is one of the biggest obstacles to taking control of our health. Accepting that the solutions lie within ourselves takes uncommon insight, social courage, and the integrity to admit that we were wrong for many years.

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    In all fairness, Grok didn't have to walk on concrete. I'm all for a little cushioning then, even if it's just fluffy socks!
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Even Vibrams exploit this conditioning. Want to free your feet? Don't go barefoot; you might hurt yourself. Instead, buy these special shoes that mimic bare feet. Don't get me wrong, I love my Vibrams (mostly for wearing in places that require shoes). But they are not necessary to walk properly.
    This is true, but in urban areas...I live in San Francisco, and honestly, if its not broken glass and bits of metal, its "biological contaminants" :P But I agree that its a tricky line, developing a product for a lifestyle that is values being free of supplementary-products. And honestly, I feel like many of the latest VFF models have thicker soles with more engineering, which is frustrating.

But imma keep buying them, and wearing them. Honestly its gotten to the point where putting on normal shoes feels like Im wearing boxing gloves on my feet. Balancing on busses and climbing the hill I live on is SOO much easier when I have the full range of motion in my feet.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

finngirl71 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnk View Post
    To which I can honestly answer: "No, I switched to steak and bacon and LOST weight. Then I added muscle, stopped having acid reflux and my asthma went away after having 30 years of medication just to control it." The proof is in the (primal) pudding!
    Exactly! Ha, when they ask me how I've done so well and I tell them I've cut gluten, upped my fat, upped my protein, upped my calories they say "oh, that would never work for me!" Ok, go ahead and continue on your "diet"... I can see you're having great success.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    This is true, but in urban areas...I live in San Francisco, and honestly, if its not broken glass and bits of metal, its "biological contaminants" :P
    I know how you feel. Negligent dog owners are my barefooting pet peeve. West LA has similar issues as San Francisco, but I've never had a problem as long as I stick to the side streets. Once your soles have toughened up, which took several months in my case, even broken glass is not a problem unless the shards are especially large. Tree seeds can be painful, but dodging obstacles is all part of the fun.

And I agree, wearing shoes feels ridiculous after you're used to barefoot or minimalist gear. I put on some Nike Lunar Racers this weekend and it felt like stomping around in elevator shoes.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    I know how you feel. Negligent dog owners are my barefooting pet peeve. West LA has similar issues as San Francisco, but I've never had a problem as long as I stick to the side streets. Once your soles have toughened up, which took several months in my case, even broken glass is not a problem unless the shards are especially large. Tree seeds can be painful, but dodging obstacles is all part of the fun.
    Ha, well here theres more than a little human waste around as well. :/ And yeah, i definitely am more conscious of the ground I am walking on, dodging not only painful-looking rocks but uneven sidewalks, which are a danger to any foot, shod or not. Although, ha, a couple weeks ago I wasnt paying attention closely enough and I stepped right in some fresh dog stuff. Even though I had my VFFs on, I felt so much more of the squishy, slidey sensation that i FREAKED OUT until we found some grass to wipe it off on (thank goodness I didnt step on it with my TOES). I guess I consider them to be a part of my own body, in some way. ;D
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

SF does sound rather freakier than my town.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    Although, ha, a couple weeks ago I wasnt paying attention closely enough and I stepped right in some fresh dog stuff. Even though I had my VFFs on, I felt so much more of the squishy, slidey sensation that i FREAKED OUT until we found some grass to wipe it off on (thank goodness I didnt step on it with my TOES). I guess I consider them to be a part of my own body, in some way. ;D
    You stepped in it? OMG, my living nightmare! I'll tread on almost anything; bird poo, garbage, bees... but mammal waste, that would give me a serious case of heebie-jeebies. And hookworm.

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MadelynMc View Post
    Why do I need to take a pill?...
    United States has the pleasure of being the country to invent a "pill" for stopping a perfectly healthy body part from functioning properly... "The Pill".
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II