Page 167 of 901 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267667 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 9002

Thread: Funny CW moments page 167

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think part of the problem with the medical community is that every few years some new fad diet comes around and it never works out. As far as many of them are concerned, Primal and Paleo are just one more Grapefruit Diet that will eventually prove to be absolutely ridiculous and unhealthy. Why should they think this is any different.

We all see the scientific information just snowballing and picking up speed, and the overwhelming amount of individual success stories, but I think it's going to take some time before they eventually think, "Hey, maybe there really IS something to this."

In he mean time, I just nod and smile when my doc's office says I should eat more low fat foods. I've already explained what I eat and why, so the results will have to speak for themselves - mine and her other patients.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    A positive thing for going against CW - there's a commercial campaign on television encouraging Canadians to feed their kids "real food". Several different commercials are out now for it, advertising the benefits of eating real foods, cooking, and teaching kids to love whole, natural foods instead of prepackaged ones. One is a chef, cooking with fresh meats and veggies. Another is a kid making a sandwich with tons of veggies and fresh meat.

It makes me so happy to see this! Its a step in the right direction
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

mammlouk is offline Member
    I'm not sure if it really counts as a funny moment, but it was "Guacamole + SAD = Frustrated Me".
    I was at a gathering with friends and I saw that there was some guacamole, salsa, and ranch dip for a ton of veggies. First thought was "Awesome, guacamole and bell peppers!" Without thinking about it because I don't always add things up right away I had a few bites. It tasted good enough for store bought, non fresh/vacu-sealed guacamole. Then I thought to myself, "I guess I ought to see what's in this..." That's when I noticed that the package said "Guacamole Dip" and that the two main ingredients were Skim Milk and Soybean Oil. Avocado was listed in the "less than 2% of the following" category. How dare anyone put the word guacamole anywhere on the packaging for a product like that!
    Beginning of Primal Journey:
    Date: 4/6/2011
    Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

MadelynMc is offline Senior Member
    I feel like I could post at least one fail per day on this thread, but I'll refrain

Yesterday I saw a commercial for Welch's grape juice where they were touting 2 servings of fruit in every glass (a whole other issue). Anyway, at the end of the commercial, Alton Brown was endorsing the juice. At the bottom of the screen read 'Alton Brown - Food Expert.' WTF does that mean?? Because he has a show on Food Network, he gets to give an "expert" opinion on the wholesome-ness of bottled fruit sugar? Mmmk. Ah, marketing ploys. Commercials really get me.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I asked my mom what oil my grandmother used to cook with, when we lived in India. My mother was rather embarrassed to tell me that they cooked with palm oil because it was the cheapest thing on the market. I laughed and told her, thank god, she used a saturated fat and not some omega-6 heavy oil like soybean oil or trans fat like margarine. (I also felt thankful for people being so afraid of saturated fat that it was the cheapest thing on the market).

Westly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadelynMc View Post
    I feel like I could post at least one fail per day on this thread, but I'll refrain

Yesterday I saw a commercial for Welch's grape juice where they were touting 2 servings of fruit in every glass (a whole other issue). Anyway, at the end of the commercial, Alton Brown was endorsing the juice. At the bottom of the screen read 'Alton Brown - Food Expert.' WTF does that mean?? Because he has a show on Food Network, he gets to give an "expert" opinion on the wholesome-ness of bottled fruit sugar? Mmmk. Ah, marketing ploys. Commercials really get me.
    An expert is just someone who knows a lot about something!

I'm a hyena expert, a wolf expert, a vampire expert. Alton Brown knows a lot about cooking food, he could probably give an hour long talk about it to a group of peers and teach them something... So sure, he's an expert in 'food' but that doesn't mean he's worth anything in nutrition!

It's all about how you say something!
    Down from 275 to 250!
    Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
    Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spakesneaker View Post
    I asked my mom what oil my grandmother used to cook with, when we lived in India. My mother was rather embarrassed to tell me that they cooked with palm oil because it was the cheapest thing on the market. I laughed and told her, thank god, she used a saturated fat and not some omega-6 heavy oil like soybean oil or trans fat like margarine. (I also felt thankful for people being so afraid of saturated fat that it was the cheapest thing on the market).
    Unfortunately industrial seed oils (soybean, corn, etc) are now the cheapest and heart disease is starting to become rampant. This is the same for many developing countries in both southeast Asia and in Africa where tropical oils used to be the standard.

AbigailLyn is offline Senior Member
    My Guatemalan host mother today when I was talking about what I was eating for lunch

"I don't get it, I don't eat any fat and look at how big I am! How are you so skinny!"

This as she sits down to her evening meal of bread and ridiculously sugared rice drink. I merely threw out an "I try to not eat a lot of sugar and bread..." without being too offensive, she generally just laughs it off

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    You could probably ask some questions about how her grandmother ate and see if that rings any bells for her...
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MadelynMc View Post
    Failed at work pot-luck today. I indulged a little, but the choices were slim. Lots of pasta, bread, wraps, sandwiches (with hardly any meat), desserts, blah. I made a super delicious artichoke salad with uncured pepperoni, banana peppers, sun dried tomatoes, olives, onion, EVOO, spices, garlic, etc. I have a TON left. But the pasta....is gone. And all the desserts.
    Oh come on you're killing me. Bring some of that my way. There won't be any left.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.