Page 166 of 877 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266666 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 8769

Thread: Funny CW moments page 166

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I go to different BNI's (Business Network International) and usually go to breakfast meetings. They always have pastries and orange juice. But the other day, I went to one that had the normal stuff and then the restaurant we were in brought out quiche! So I ate two pieces without the crust and was very happy I was getting breakfast.

It's funny, at my BNI they always serve eggs, bacon and sausage... I rarely eat the eggs because I grow my own and theirs are truly disgusting, though I won't tell the cook because I know and like the guy a lot. That and I can't eat the bacon. It makes me sick - pig intolerance (like milk) from American horribly raised pigs. I'm getting braver, I'm going to try some from my farmer's market that is pastured.

Sippin my water....
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

mammlouk is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Here's what I saw:

Feb 28 2010 - TC 208 - Blood donation
    Mar 30 2011 - TC 231 - Medical lab
    Jun 13 2011 - TC 209 - Blood donation
    Sep 12 2011 - TC 237 - Medical lab (same one)

Does that look odd to anyone else?
    I would imagine part of the difference is the fact that when you donate they just do a cholesterol screen versus a complete lipid panel. My other thought, which is complete speculation, is that it has to do with the difference between one being fasting and the other not. Usually my fasted tests are in the morning. When we sleep our bodies are busy making repairs which would, in my mind, justify an elevated cholesterol level.
    Beginning of Primal Journey:
    Date: 4/6/2011
    Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mammlouk View Post
    My other thought, which is complete speculation, is that it has to do with the difference between one being fasting and the other not. Usually my fasted tests are in the morning. When we sleep our bodies are busy making repairs which would, in my mind, justify an elevated cholesterol level.
    That's interesting. I hadn't even thought of that. When I donate blood, it's usually in the afternoon and I make sure I have something to eat so I don't hit the floor or hurl. When I go to the lab, it's a fasting test first thing in the morning. Good point!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

opalinesque is offline Junior Member
    One of my younger brothers left one of those candy/party favor catalogues on the dining room table. I ended up absentmindedly flipping through it while eating to keep myself occupied, which is when I noticed that the majority of the candies had been painstakingly labeled "fat free."

...Yeah, I don't think the fat is the main problem there.

AnnaMoyer is offline Junior Member
    So, I work at a Pharmacy part time and earlier today I rang up a purchase of GLUCOSE tablets.

Yeah you heard me. The label said "Each tablet is gluten free, sodium free and fat free. Contains 4 grams of pure fast acting carbohydrates for a burst of energy."

I might add that the woman buying them was diabetic and also purchasing insulin syringes. She said the tablets helped her keep her blood glucose in check.

*faceplant*
    "Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion." ~Jane Ausitn

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMoyer View Post
    So, I work at a Pharmacy part time and earlier today I rang up a purchase of GLUCOSE tablets.
    I could see those being useful to have in emergencies, like if she (the customer) overdosed her insulin. But as a normal part of her routine? Absolutely no way.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I could see those being useful to have in emergencies, like if she (the customer) overdosed her insulin. But as a normal part of her routine? Absolutely no way.
    I keep some in my big first aid kit. Even someone who's not diabetic can occasionally have low blood sugar. It's easier than carrying around juice boxes.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

CattyB is offline Senior Member
    Foraging in the fridge at work, I had just pulled out about 6oz of beef brisket (from yesterday's drug rep lunch) and was plating up some salad greens. I put a tbsp of butter on the brisket before microwaving it to keep it from being too 'dry'. One of our doctors (one of the TOP internists in the state...who jogs/gyms every morning) came in and I could tell he was 'shocked' at the lump of fat gently melting into the muscle fiber.

Me: I know what you're thinking... 'butter -- seriously?'
    Him: Well, uh, yeah -- that's a lot of extra fat
    Me: Considering I've lost over 35 lbs, feel better than I have in years, and may not be hungry again until tomorrow morning, I'll stick with it.
    Him: Stick with what?
    Me: Primal/Paleo eating.....(blank stare from him) ummm, the so-called "Caveman diet"?
    Him: Oh, THAT I've heard of. Does that really work?
    Me: (repeat of successes.....plus hubby has lost 45+ lbs)
    Him: How long are you doing if for?
    Me: The rest of my newly invigorated life, thank you!
    Him: That just can't be done for the long term (pouring commercial salad dressing on a croutoned salad loading extra bbq sauce on his pork sandwich)
    Me: (mental facepalm)

Repeatedly voted top doc, takes time with his patients, researches new drugs and therapies, but hasn't connected to DIET being a major cause of most of his patient's woes.... sad

CattyB is offline Senior Member
    Been feeling kinda guilty about what I said in that last post... I'm sure that our doctor is well aware of how much diet affects health. One problem is that most of our patients are over 60 and are so deeply immersed in CW that if he were to tell them to cut out grains and legumes, eat more meat and sat fats, and lets see what we can do naturally to get you off those statins or insulin.... well, they'd no longer be voting him "best doctor" -- more like "craziest doctor you've ever seen".

That being said, I DO wish he would (and maybe now he will ) read up on Primal/Paleo so that if someday a patient comes in and asks about it, he can give a well-informed and supportive answer. My parents are also patients at our clinic. They are seeing how PB works for me and the DH -- I'd like them to be able to ask questions from a knowledgeable provider!

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CattyB View Post
    Repeatedly voted top doc, takes time with his patients, researches new drugs and therapies, but hasn't connected to DIET being a major cause of most of his patient's woes.... sad
    I don't want to say it's all Big Pharma, but there just needs to be more info put out there and more people "drinking the koolaid" about Primal diets and then CW will change.

None of these poor slobs (I include myself in that) will readily change their mind when all ALL the media (can you say paid advertisements and endorsements) points to "fat free".

When more docs say that no grains and no legumes and no sugar is going to cure CURE a number of diseases... then CW will change.
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II