Page 143 of 895 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243643 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 8948

Thread: Funny CW moments page 143

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    What's wrong with edamame? It seems to get the goahead around here.

Sounds fine in small quantities to me. You shouldn't be eating soy every day, but once in awhile the unprocessed stuff and fermented stuff isn't going to cause any health concerns.
    Soya has the most phytase of any seed (bean, grain or legume) and must go through a long fermentation process to be safe to eat.

So, Edamame are decent because they are not the "final" form of soya.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
    Hummus is at least tolerable as long as the garbanzo beans (or whatever is the base of the hummus) are properly prepared. But edamame?
    Well, Mark does eat them....

10 Things to Know about Tofu | Mark's Daily Apple

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I think it is a pretty old blog entry and I don't think he advises for tofu any more.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Mark's stance has changed a lot since 2008. He is much more against soy these days, suggesting eating the fermented forms if one is going to eat it. Most other paleo writers take a pretty strict stance on it too. Even non-paleo advice is turning more away from soy because of concerns around the phytoestrogens.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    I think it is a pretty old blog entry and I don't think he advises for tofu any more.
    Hm, you're right. 2007.

I wish the blogs included a year. And a retraction or update would be nice on that one. I know I found it in my early days searching on edamame.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Chocotaco, I think the reason you see "carb phobia" is because there are a LOT of us who can't tolerate the moderate amount you can without weight gain and many other symptoms. Whether we have metabolic problems, dysbiotic guts, or something else wrong, it's not at all uncommon.

I think that for the most part, you could probably assume that most people who appear "carb phobic" are in this camp. It is a real issue, and the more the two camps understand each other, the more we can help more people find what healthy is for them. It's equally important for me to understand that moderate amounts of primal carbs are beneficial to you, as for you to understand that those same carbs are harmful to me, at this stage of my life - a stage I certainly hope will not last forever.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

mammlouk is offline Member
    I just have to rant for a minute.

What the heck is wrong with people? If you work with someone who is diabetic that never turns down sugar is it a good idea to offer them cake? No, it's not! You are enabling and need to take personal responsibility for the fact that you are contributing to their disease. Sure, in a perfect world everybody would be responsible for themselves and be able to exercise self-control. Gues what? It's not a perfect world! You would think that people would at least understand that sugar is TOXIC for a diabetic even if they are too stupid to understand how much it affects those who are not diabetic.

On the flipside, Mr. diabetes spokesman needs to get a freaking clue! "I'll just take an extra shot!" IS NOT a valid response when somebody ask whether eating that cake, donut, snickers bar or whatever else is a good decision! Holy freaking crap people. Are you serious?! You're kidding right?! I can't take it anymore. Learn about your disease and TREAT IT! If you took the time to really understand what insulin is and how it negatively affects you then maybe you would make a change. You're hormones are screwed, you're morbidly obese, you can't walk up a single flight of stairs, you're always tired, Everyone can hear you breathe from across the room, what more does it take to get your attention? You are not going to get to enjoy retirement playing with your grandson the way that you are always talking about it because you are going to die! AAAAHHHH!!!!!!!

Okay, I feel better now.
    Beginning of Primal Journey:
    Date: 4/6/2011
    Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Chocotaco, I think the reason you see "carb phobia" is because there are a LOT of us who can't tolerate the moderate amount you can without weight gain and many other symptoms. Whether we have metabolic problems, dysbiotic guts, or something else wrong, it's not at all uncommon.
    Yeah, I can see that. The latest thread popping up on the blogs of the presenters who were at the AHS is how carbs are good look at these cultures that eat carbs carbs carbs carbs. And...I want to believe them, but jeez, my track record looks like this:

1. I lose weight.
    2. I indulge in something starchy (pasta, pizza, sweet potatoes, potatoes, or pancakes).
    3. I gain weight.

I have conducted this "experiment" many times. For me, it's a proven fact. I am happy some people can tolerate a larger amount of carbs. I wish I were them. But even the gluten free stuff is guaranteed to make my weight jump by 2-3 lbs.

But I appreciate Chocotaco's post for reminding us that there is hope! And pizza! Well, for some of us....

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mammlouk View Post
    IOn the flipside, Mr. diabetes spokesman needs to get a freaking clue! "I'll just take an extra shot!" IS NOT a valid response when somebody ask whether eating that cake, donut, snickers bar or whatever else is a good decision! .
    Wow, you must work with my dad. For such a smart man his refusal to put two and two together on this issue blows my mind. "Oh, I will just take more insulin." *face palm*

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was at Jason's Deli getting my soup and salad on. Then I hear this yelled across the restaurant:
    "MELATONIN, GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE RIGHT NOW!"
    Praying she was just crazy, I looked in the general direction of the scream and see a rather red faced 5 year old heading towards the woman that yelled it. That's right, she named her poor pasty white son after a chemical in the human body responsible for skin coloration (among other things). I just pray he's smart enough to go by Mel or Tony later in life.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome