Page 133 of 841 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233633 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 8408

Thread: Funny CW moments page 133

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Gah!

I'm on another totally unrelated message board, and someone posted that they needed a great butter substitute. There were quite a few people going on about how great "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter", canola oil and various other crap is. There were a few rooting for real butter, but even they were saying to cut back - seriously, to half a stick a month???

When asked why she needed to cut back, she said her mom had a heart attack. Well, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the butter, but I gently suggested she stick with real butter, preferably from grass-fed cows. Avoid seed oils because (among other things) they turn rancid very quickly. And that good fat doesn't cause heart disease.

I'm waiting for the flame throwers from the low-fat crowd there.
    Linky, I wants to see shit fly. And yes I typed it that way on purpose.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Shawn Mihalik is offline Member
    This one saddens me:

We've been experiencing temps in the high 90s and low hundreds in the eastern U.S. this week. A local news network was running a story about a track and field event for children that was held yesterday, and the organizer of the event was asked what they were doing to protect the children from the heat.

Her response: "We've got Gatorade. And we've got plenty of juice."

This morning, it was reported that two kids at that event were taken to the hospital via ambulance due to the heat.

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    I'm only a month into Primal Blueprint, and I'm already tired of dealing with my family's CW resistance. My entire family is out of shape, stepdad and grandfather are morbidly obese, my little brothers (10 and 12) have guts, etc. I was 310 lbs until last year when I removed myself from their dinner table, so to say.

Anyway, I'm really debating how I can help my grandfather fix his diet. He doesn't need to go primal as much as he needs to just not eat as terrible as he does currently. He's doing weight watchers, which means that as long as he is at or under his point allotment, he can eat whatever he wants. He's dropped a little weight just from eating less, but I hate the program because it doesn't teach him anything about nutrition. It doesn't even teach caloric restriction. It just assigns arbitrary values to food products. A daily menu looks like: Two bagels with margarine for breakfast and a tall glass of 2% milk. Cup of coffee with milk and sweet n low. Pretzel or hamburger for lunch. Fried (in vegetable oil) bologna sandwich on white bread with tons of ketchup and a glass of diet root beer. With a sleeve of saltines and "reduced fat" peanut butter for a bedtime snack. Other staples include chicken breast (fine) COVERED in ketchup, box-powdered mashed potatoes, donuts, sugary cereal, etc. Yesterday at dinner he got a salad with grilled chicken. He turns his nose up to all vegetables, but he choked down the salad. He covered it in "fat free" ranch dressing and then took the discarded bun from my chicken sandwich and used it to sop up the extra dressing. IT KILLED ME!

He'll say things to me like: "Do you want me to cut the fat off that steak before you cook it?" "Oh, I don't really want bacon for breakfast. I'll just have a bagel." And he thinks that margarine > butter, 2% milk > whole fat, fat free peanut butter > full fat PB, etc. I don't think he puts anything in his mouth that DOESN'T spike his insulin. Every health indicator is poor and it kills me inside. He's on a lot of medications and vitamins, but he doesn't realize that diet is probably 99% of what is wrong.

I'm in the east too, and it looks like it should stop hitting 100 soon. The couple of times I had to drive to work sucked because my car has no A/C. I don't think I've had so much water my entire life.

I spent my night last night internet arguing (pointless really) with people about an article about giving Metformin to young girls at risk with fertility problems later in life from PCOS. I don't have it myself, but I know that those here on the site that do have found help with this WOE.

A few were wondering about treating with diet instead of meds because not everyone wants to give meds to their little girls. There were two people trying to convince others that diet and nutrition don't matter or help because they don't effect hormones! I couldn't believe it. Maybe it isn't quite CW stupid, but I felt bad for the people being told that diet won't help them lose the weight or control the PCOS symptoms. Needless to say I tried to direct them here and look up the threads about it.

I mean, diet doesn't effect hormones? Diabetics might want to know about that...

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Gah!

I'm on another totally unrelated message board, and someone posted that they needed a great butter substitute. There were quite a few people going on about how great "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter", canola oil and various other crap is. There were a few rooting for real butter, but even they were saying to cut back - seriously, to half a stick a month???

When asked why she needed to cut back, she said her mom had a heart attack. Well, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the butter, but I gently suggested she stick with real butter, preferably from grass-fed cows. Avoid seed oils because (among other things) they turn rancid very quickly. And that good fat doesn't cause heart disease.

I'm waiting for the flame throwers from the low-fat crowd there.
    Cheering you on.

You have everyone's taste-buds on your side. Mum-in-law had followed CW advice and replaced butter with assorted 'spreads' for years. She stays with us over Christmas, eats butter because that's what I have in the fridge, and it's a revelation to her how good it tastes. So - no more yellow vegetable oil slime for her, hooray. (The rest of her diet is rubbish enough that this isn't going to make any material difference, but I'm happy she gets to eat something that tastes good.)

sarah1990 is offline Senior Member
    Not a CW moment as such but...

I ordered a butternut squash and halloumi salad for my lunch and asked for it to come without the soy and balsamic dressing it was advertised with. It turns up with a load of lentils on!! Had to pick around the lentils - was pissed seeing as that wasn't on the menu.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It seems they're just plain ignoring me on the Butter Is Satan board, probably because I had the audacity to say I should be allowed to legally buy raw milk too, and that was just blasphemy.

sigh

Guess I'm not allowed in the Fat And Tired Girls Club anymore...
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I remember while traveling in Arkansas, we stopped at a restaurant for dinner. I asked what the vegetable of the day was.. I was told rice. ummm really?!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoS View Post
    fat free peanut butter > full fat PB,
    Fat free peanut butter exists?

Wait... don't tell me. Let me guess. They press out all the peanut oil and replace it with HFCS?

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyNavyWife View Post
    Teri thanks for the brand names.

Maba, I honestly doubt the doc will be sensible. I mean, the magazine thingy they gave me today said to eat whole grains, fruits and vegs, lean protein, and low-fat dairy. The Department of Defense book (it's a military hospital) mostly said to eat "healthy foods" but at one point it actually wrote out the standard food pyramid as the official recommendation for pregnant women, beginning with 6-11 servings of grains and topped off with very little fat/oils.
    We have those brands and also the Greek Gods brand that is full fat greek yogurt. So much cheaper than Fage too! You might check that as well.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.