Page 130 of 888 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230630 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 8879

Thread: Funny CW moments page 130

mammlouk is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I posted a link to Robert Lustig's "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" on my facebook status yesterday. The first reply (which came too early to have watched the whole thing) said that xylitol is a good natural sweetener (I can probably agree with that), and that they also sell crystallized fructose in the bulk bins at Whole Foods. What?! In what universe can you watch that video and think that a 98-100% fructose sweetener is a good idea?? This was after I had already posted a follow-up comment to my link for anyone who doesn't know saying "agave is 90% fructose which gets you the same amount of terrible with half the amount compared with HFCS or Table Sugar"
    Beginning of Primal Journey:
    Date: 4/6/2011
    Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I was at lunch with my cousin, who is one of those people who can eat everything under the sun but stay a size 0. I ordered something with the 'gluten-free' option and told her that I don't really eat wheat, don't eat rice that often anymore either, and basically don't eat grains. She seemed surprised and said that she LOVES carbs and could just eat bread all day. I explained that I don't really like bread or pasta, and I do like rice but when I eat it now I kind of get heartburn, and I do like sweet stuff like brownies but that's no good at all. She asked if I like bagels, and I said not really, and besides they only taste good if you add butter or cream cheese. I explained that I gain weight really easily if I eat grains, and basically lost weight by not eating grains, and she seemed really shocked. "At all?? You have to eat some!" And I explained that sometimes I do when I'm at home (my mom's cooking), but I don't cook it for myself, and make sure to get enough protein and eat lots of vegetables. She responded, "Remember your food pyramid!" I left it at that, but she plans to be a doctor and her mother is diabetic so I want to figure out a tactful way of bringing up paleo/primal...... only after I lose 30 more pounds and have more credibility though.

It is just a frustrating experience to talk about food with naturally skinny people though. I'm sure the bizarre-sounding things that other people do to lose weight sound crazy to them.

//kacar Guest
    The exams are over and I've come back home for the summer. I explained the basics of eating Primal to my parents and even though they don't approve ("all this fat and meat and are you sure you don't want some bread with those eggs?"), they're not trying to talk me out of it.
    But they like to comment on my new eating habits and so my mum said to me today: "A year ago I had to hide candy from you, but now I'll have to start hiding eggs."

jennachica is offline Member
    I've completely given up hope trying to explain my eating habits to my family.

I'm visiting my grandmother right now, and she bought a TON of oatmeal (13 boxes of the sugar-loaded Quaker crap) in preparation for my visit. EVERY morning she tells me that she has oatmeal in the cubby for me. The first morning I made the mistake of saying "I don't eat oatmeal Grandma", which was followed by her looking shocked and hurt and saying "what do you mean you don't eat oatmeal? How come you don't eat oatmeal. Don't you know its so good for you?". After that first time, my only reply is "no grandma, I just don't LIKE oatmeal, I like eggs and bacon". That seems to quiet her.

When I was visiting my parents last month and my mom related that she was worried about me consuming so many eggs. I just shrug. I left my copy of the PB on the coffee table, and sure enough, I would catch my mom reading it SEVERAL times.

My sister says that by my choice to eliminate grains and sugar is what causes me to binge (which I still do time to time unfortunately), but I kindly remind her that it only happens maybe once a month vs. the 4-5 times a week I had done it when I was at my lowest point. She will NOT listen to me one bit when I try to tell her about insulin and hormones. She doesn't care, and continues to roll her eyes when I make special orders at restaurants. Whatever, I just ignore it now.

I just remind myself that my staying true to the Primal/Paleo principles I am doing it for ME, not others.

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jennachica View Post
    I've completely given up hope trying to explain my eating habits to my family.

I'm visiting my grandmother right now, and she bought a TON of oatmeal (13 boxes of the sugar-loaded Quaker crap) in preparation for my visit. EVERY morning she tells me that she has oatmeal in the cubby for me. The first morning I made the mistake of saying "I don't eat oatmeal Grandma", which was followed by her looking shocked and hurt and saying "what do you mean you don't eat oatmeal? How come you don't eat oatmeal. Don't you know its so good for you?". After that first time, my only reply is "no grandma, I just don't LIKE oatmeal, I like eggs and bacon". That seems to quiet her.

When I was visiting my parents last month and my mom related that she was worried about me consuming so many eggs. I just shrug. I left my copy of the PB on the coffee table, and sure enough, I would catch my mom reading it SEVERAL times.

My sister says that by my choice to eliminate grains and sugar is what causes me to binge (which I still do time to time unfortunately), but I kindly remind her that it only happens maybe once a month vs. the 4-5 times a week I had done it when I was at my lowest point. She will NOT listen to me one bit when I try to tell her about insulin and hormones. She doesn't care, and continues to roll her eyes when I make special orders at restaurants. Whatever, I just ignore it now.

I just remind myself that my staying true to the Primal/Paleo principles I am doing it for ME, not others.
    I think your last sentence is the most important. We want to share this way of life with people we care about it and 99% of them look at us like we are nuts. The media and advertising spend close to a trillion dollars advertising eating processed shit food. If you ask for an omelette with no home fries/toast at a restaurant they don't understand.

All you can do is worry about yourself. Set a good example and if people choose to follow they will.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jesbelle View Post
    Hmm, perhaps it makes all the difference in the world to be able to go down to the cafeteria. I've seen what's sent to my grandparents and parents when they were in recovery, and it is not food. It's beige and semi-solid to start and then as you progressed beige and solid. With a Jell-o cup on the side! My goal: avoid hospital visits as best I can.
    Yep. The last time my Dad was in the hospital the food was absolutely dire. The meat was like cardboard and they gave him tons of bread, juice and jello. He's a diabetic. He controlled his diabetes for years without meds by not eating that junk. That really pissed him off. The meals were apparently designed by a nutritionist but they were so unhealthy. The cafeteria, by contrast, had all sorts of fresh food. I couldn't sneak him any because he was in a clean room.

Dad's totally supportive of my primal eating. When I told him I was giving up grains his reaction was "Good. They're bad for you anyway."

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    Friend: "yeah, I was hospitalized for a ruptured ovarian cyst last week. I'm supposed to be on bed rest, but I can't take time off work" (Proceeds to eat almost a whole bowl of edamame)

Um. Yeah. I'm sure all that soy will be just the thing to heal ovarian cysts...

mammlouk is offline Member
    A friend posted a picture of a "meal" on facebook and asked everyone to guess how many calories. The plate looked to have about half a yellow bell pepper, about 6 grape tomatoes, a large handful of snap peas and probably half a cup of blueberries. Everyone was astonished that it was only ~"76 calories, 13 carbs, 3 protein & TONS of nutrients!!" filling a whole plate. Someone commented on how it would totally be enough to fill them. People just don't realize that to be healthy requires a significant caloric intake. Sure there were some good nutrients, but how about the nutrients required by your body for cellular repair, energy to do things day to day, etc. Anyone can lose weight by starving themselves, but that doesn't make it a good idea.
    Beginning of Primal Journey:
    Date: 4/6/2011
    Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

Leida is offline Senior Member
    My mother-in-law nearly fainted when I explained to her that I do not eat bread any more. "What do you eat for breakfast?!!!!!!!!" I said 'eggs'. Figured, she'd need an ambulance if I said 'nothing'....

Everyone was astonished that it was only ~"76 calories, 13 carbs, 3 protein & TONS of nutrients!!" filling a whole plate. Someone commented on how it would totally be enough to fill them. People just don't realize that to be healthy requires a significant caloric intake.
    *Nod* It totally annoys me when people try to create some crazy combinations to make sure they are under 100 calories. Yeah, fine. So, where the other 700 or so for it to start registering in your brain as a meal?
    Last edited by Leida; 07-18-2011 at 11:55 AM.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Yeah, fine. So, where the other 700 or so for it to start registering in your brain as a meal?
    Haha, I love that. I've basically stopped snacking over the past couple years because once I start eating, I want to eat until I am FULL and that takes probably at least 1000 calories. If I have a snack, I just go into EAT mode until I'm done, so thw whole idea of snacking is kinda pointless to me.

I also have stopped eating breakfast and skip lunch on workdays. I know most CW people think that is incredibly unhealthy, so I don't advertise that fact. I'm just glad my wife has gotten over being mad at me for my "crazy" eating schedule. Hard to argue with results, heh.