Page 121 of 879 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221621 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 8783

Thread: Funny CW moments page 121

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I feel so old with the SAT scores. Ah.. they added in a writing section instead of having that in a second optional test.

If you've been grain-free for awhile the last thing you need before a test is grains. Can you imagine taking a test as your intestines fill with gas and your skin starts to feel like it's crawling and everyone in the world is doing everything just to annoy you? I bet they get really miffed if you stand up in the test and shout "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP BREATHING SO LOUDLY!!!" lol

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    So I went to a BBQ at The Boyfriend's son's house. His ex is there (they've been divorced for something like 20 years) and she is not in good health. We're only about 5 years apart, but it looks more like 20. Part of that is back problems after a slip and fall 30 years ago, but a big chunk of it is lifestyle. Don't get me wrong - I think she's a sweetheart.

Anyway, I was drinking a coconut water instead of one of the (literally) 10 12-packs of sodas, and she asked about it. I told her I wasn't eating grains or sugars or artificial sweeteners anymore. He husband, also very over weight and not heathy, said "But you have to eat grains!" I asked why. He replied "Because you need to have fiber!" I told him I could get that from vegetables, and they both looked at me like I was going to keel over within the hour.

Really???
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and more CW lameness...

I got the "Las Vegas Health" magazine that they throw into the newspaper every once in a while. In the "Staying Healthy" section, they have 6 short articles.

Article 1: Walnuts Contain Twice the Amount of Antioxidants Compared to Any Other Nut
    Okay, that's interesting

Article 2: Higher Levels of B Vitamins Linked to Better Hearing in Older Adults
    Specifically B-9 and B-12. No suggestions on how to actually GET them, so I'm assuming they're suggesting supplements. Still not too bad.

Article 3: Diets Higher in Fat as Healthy as Low-Carb Fad Diets
    My favorite quote? "It's OK to sometimes indulge in fatty foods as long as your long-term goals of calorie restriction stay in check."

Article 4: Office Workers Lack Vitamin D
    Wow, bet that took a lot of research.

Article 5: High Rate of Hypertension Found Among Young Adults
    About 20% of those between 24 and 32-year-olds had high blood pressure. Scary. But the reason stated was that 30% of the participants were obese. Even scarier.

Article 6: Lowering Your Cholesterol May Not Help Heart Risk
    So they took 3,400 adults with high cholesterol, gave half a placebo and half a cholesterol-lowering drug. The group that took the cholesterol-lowering drug did have lower cholesterol (so?) but their cardiovascular risk didn't drop. In fact, the study showed it may have actually raised their risk. More than twice as many (1.6% as opposed to .7% in the placebo group) had a stroke. Conclusion? Not that the drug was crap. They concluded there's just no reversing it once the damage is done, despite medication.

Sigh
    Last edited by RitaRose; 07-04-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
    The artificial pancreas sounds beyond awesome for people BORN with diabetes. It sucks that a ton of other people who could just lower their carbs and stop needing insulin will instead end up spending thousands and risking their lives.

But it's a really really wonderful invention for people with type-I diabetes, injured pancreases, and the like.
    I was more referring to the diet/lifestyle induced kinds, but you make a good point
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Every time there is a function at work, the Admin Assistant who vaguely remembers that I am doing something to a 'plan' asks me if I will be Okay with the ordered vegetarian option. I am not sure I would ever be able to get her to believe that I am quite carnivorous, actually & can't have most of the vegetarian options.

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Every time there is a function at work, the Admin Assistant who vaguely remembers that I am doing something to a 'plan' asks me if I will be Okay with the ordered vegetarian option. I am not sure I would ever be able to get her to believe that I am quite carnivorous, actually & can't have most of the vegetarian options.
    I tried ordering an "unwhich" (basically lettuce wrapped sub) for a company function and the person ordering didn't know what that meant and just ignored it. Came with bread

Silky is offline Senior Member
    To be fair i wouldn't have know what an unwhich was either. But then the organiser could have asked you what you meant.

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    I think Jimmy John's is the only restaurant that offers unwiches, and I don't think they're listed on the catering menu. They are totally awesome though.

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I should have been more specific. She definitely knows now since her husband is going low carb based on advice from a nutritionist (he's dropping weight fast according to her). She's probably 60/40 or 70/30 now - I see her munching on pretzels and cereal once in a while :P

At least she stopped thinking my diet was crazy haha.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    On Saturday I was at the local grocery store and overheard a conversationg between a mother and her daughter (who looked to be about 8).

Mom: (while studying the nutritional info of a fried chocolate pie in her hand) "No, you can't have this'
    Daughter: "Please!"
    Mom: "No... this is horrible for you... look at all the saturated fat in it!"
    Mom: (Pulls a box of weight watchers twinkies from the shelve, studies it) "These are way better, they have almost a quarter of the fat"
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)