Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How I am Gaining Muscle, Losing Fat and Eating Chocolate Simultaneously page

mrhtower is offline Member

How I am Gaining Muscle, Losing Fat and Eating Chocolate Simultaneously

Primal Fuel
    Eating chocolate is the easy part. Just keep it reasonable because it of course can hinder you from losing fat.

How am I gaining muscle?
    By performing a 'Three Day Split RPT' Routine (google it). This is the optimum, no BS way to build muscle in the gym. I combine it with MDA and leangains and am finally ripped (gotta be around 10% BF and dropping).

My RPT routine with it's latest weights and achieved reps, everything in pounds (at least 14 hrs fasted):
    Day 1:
    Dead lift warm up- 135x6 2min rest, 225x4 2.5 min rest, 285x3 3 min rest
    Dead lift top set- 355x5, 3 min rest
    Dead lift 2nd set- 315x7, 2.5 min rest
    Dead lift 3rd set- 275x10, 3-5 min rest
    Chin up warm up- (Bodyweight x 6) 3 min rest
    Chin up top set- BW+55 x 6 3 min rest (failure on 7th rep)
    Chin up 2nd set- BW+35 x 7 2 min rest (no failure)
    Chin up 3rd set- BodyW x 8 3-5 min rest (no failure)
    Pendlay Rows- 135, 3 sets of 5, rest as needed between
    Walk outside 30 mins.
    Day 2:
    Rest. Walk to class and lift my backpack.
    Day 3:
    Bench press warm up- 95x7 2 min rest, 145x5 2.5 min rest, 205x3 3 min rest
    Bench press top set- 245x6, 3 min rest (failure on 7th.. ask someone to spot!)
    Bench press 2nd set- 210x7, 2.5 min rest
    Bench press 3rd set- 175x8, 3-5 min rest
    Slow, controlled push ups- 2 sets of 20, rest as needed between... drop slowly and explode when pushing up.
    Incline Dumbell Flys OR Dumbell pullover (alt week-to week): 3x8, with 30lb dumbells for flys and 50lb dumbell for pullover... This is meant to stretch my chest. They do not build muscle as well as any of the previous lifts).
    Walk outside 30 mins
    Day 4:
    Rest. Go up some stairs and bounce my legs up and down whiles sitting.
    Day 5:
    Squat warm up- 135x8 2 min rest, 225x6 2.5 min rest, 275x4 3 min rest
    Squat top set- 330x7 3 min rest
    Squat 2nd set- 285x9 2.5 min erst
    Squat 3rd set- 245x10 3 min rest
    Arnold Presses- 3 sets of 8, 60 lb dumbells (nice and easy).
    Walk outside 30 mins
    Day 6 and 7:
    Rest
    I do 8 60 yard sprints about once a week, either on a rest day or during my day 3 workout.

This is an advanced workout routine, but if you have been lifting weights and can use a 45lb barbell for these workouts, it is a fantastic way to build muscle.

How am I losing fat (besides by gaining muscle)?

Almost every time I eat, I stop eating within 8 hours and then don't eat again for at least 16 hours. The majority of days I use up the full 8 hours and eat 2-4 primal friendly meals/snacks. Day's I lift, I try to go about +20% of my avg daily calorie intake, and day's I don't, -20% and minimal non-veggie carbs.
    About once a week (more like every 9 days), I try to fast a full 24 hours, ending the fast about 4 hours after the completion of a workout (yes, post heavy lifting session fasting... HGH everywhere)... My feeding window is flexible. I can stop eating before my 8 hours are up and wait longer than 16 hours to eat after I've stopped.

If I were to make an estimate, I'd say my eating is about 80% primal. Most all of my meals are plants and animals, but all of the meat I am eating is grain-fed (never had any grass fed ). I eat a lot of veggies, lots of healthy fats, berries, fruit occasionally, and virtually no grains. I eat 2 fastfood meals a week (away from home all day tues and thurs) but keep them as close to primal as possible (veggies, meat, no grains, minimal sugar, etc.).

I've never been so happy with the way I look.

I want some grass fed meat!

Edit:
    I walk 5 or so minutes uphill on a treadmill before each workout!
    Last edited by mrhtower; 01-28-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhtower View Post
    How am I gaining muscle? By performing a 'Three Day Split RPT' Routine (google it). This is the optimum, no BS way to build muscle in the gym. I combine it with MDA and leangains and am finally ripped (gotta be around 10% BF and dropping).
    I'll let you in on a secret: The perfect workout routine that works for everyone regardless of training experience doesn't exist. I'll also let you in on another secret: You can follow pretty much any half-assed workout program and see decent results when you are twenty-one years old.

But congratulations on your success.

Thanks, Kharnath!
    I'm aware of the first "secret" (and mention that this is an advanced workout) but totally disagree with the second.
    I and plenty of other 21 year olds have been working out for years and years now (I've done workouts since I was about 10 (pushups lunges), weight lifting since i was about 13). If I followed a half-assed bicep blaster workout routine I would lose muscle and gain fat.

I've done more styles of workouts than I can think of, and for building muscle drug free, this is about as good as it gets. You get plenty of rest, and are moving the heaviest weight you can with the largest muscles you have.
    Last edited by mrhtower; 01-28-2013 at 06:53 PM.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Interesting little workout routine you have. I believe what works for each person is different. But interestingly, what you have there is very similiar to what i do now, or plan on modifiying my existing routine to.

Funny, i love 30-45min walks after workouts too, feel it helps with my recovery.

Anyway, i tend to do squats/deadlifts+bench press+military press+chinups/pullups in my workouts. I'm thinking i could perhaps make a bit more gain if split it into 3 days like you have. I only do squats or deadlifts, never the two in the same workout anymore. Frys the body too much for me.

I also am thinking of dropping my sets as i go along. Currently i just aim for 8-12reps. But usually its within 8-10. Push ups are dame great, i've started doing those aswell, after my initial interest in convict conditioning. Get a nice workout, i'll try to do maybe 60-100 in a workout? I like that you can do it to failure, because the only consequence is hitting the floor rather than a barbell strangling you!

Do you workout in the gym, and with a spotter?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    I'll let you in on a secret: The perfect workout routine that works for everyone regardless of training experience doesn't exist. I'll also let you in on another secret: You can follow pretty much any half-assed workout program and see decent results when you are twenty-one years old.

But congratulations on your success.
    So true, Kharnath.

OP, let us know how it works when you're pushing 50.

That said, I lift weights, sprint, walk around a college campus and eat lots of chocolate too. Can't call myself "ripped" exactly though.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Sounds like you've got the right idea!... I used to do squats and deadlifts on the same day (with bench and other workouts... full body workout) but found that splitting it up lets you lift more weight for more reps for more results! As you can see, I've separated my squats and deadlifts as far apart as I can.

Pushups are one of the best, most convenient, most economical workouts you can do. I'd suggest not going to failure often, as it is highly taxing on your CNS, and personally makes me want to later eat everything in sight. Save that energy for your next set! But, if it works for you and you enjoy it, keep it up.
    I like to go to failure on my top-set of chinups (my last "rep" is a cheat rep where I swing my legs to get my chin over the bar), and rarely on other workouts (bench press mostly).

I do workout in a gym, and I only use a spotter for my top-set on bench! I just ask someone near by, no-one will ever say no. Other than that none of my other workouts require one. I squat in a cage, and keep every workout I do as safe as possible while performing with the best technique I can.

Will do, sbhikes. If I keep gaining at the same rate I should be DLing 800, squatting 700, and benching 500 at right about that age (sarcasm).

Sounds like you're doing plenty to stay fit!

Heh heh we'll here's what all that work can get you when you're pushing 50. By the way, I've done plenty of 16/8 fasting, lifting 2x a week (3x and I can't recover, but all the big compound lifts), hiking 1x a week, walking, primal eating for a year and a half, plenty of sleep (as far as the hot flashes will allow) and sunshine. I present to you My Abs:

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    OH WOW YOU MEAN LIFTING HEAVY AND EATING RIGHT GETS YOU RESULTS. OMAN WHY DIDNT I THINK OF HTAT.

We're all just a bunch of dicks, aren't we? Congrats dude, keep that shit up.

I need to get back into a fucking gym already. I love my home based workouts but my gut is just begging for some deadlifts and squats - those are the only things my workout is missing (I got heavy pull ups, dips and push ups for DAYS) but they also happen to be some of the best bang for your buck exercises.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Yeah, we are being dicks. I guess my point is only that when you are young, you can basically do just about anything and get good results. Especially if you are young and male. You get a little older and it gets a little harder and the results you get are good but different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast