Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How I am Gaining Muscle, Losing Fat and Eating Chocolate Simultaneously page 3

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhtower View Post
    PS Appreciate the back up and kind words, Louisa. Looks like primal living is working for you.
    I wish I could turn back the clock and have this wisdom/gift at your age. Anyway, I love the primal lifestyle but I've always been an athlete and I rarely ate processed foods --- I don't eat any now. I'm pumped because today I ordered my first pair of Olympic Weight Lifting shoes and registered to compete in my first competition. I love crossfit and my body is definitely responding. I'm going to be one of the 'mature women' out on the floor -- but that's what it's all about, right? Have a great day/Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

mrhtower is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I wish I could turn back the clock and have this wisdom/gift at your age. Anyway, I love the primal lifestyle but I've always been an athlete and I rarely ate processed foods --- I don't eat any now. I'm pumped because today I ordered my first pair of Olympic Weight Lifting shoes and registered to compete in my first competition. I love crossfit and my body is definitely responding. I'm going to be one of the 'mature women' out on the floor -- but that's what it's all about, right? Have a great day/Lu
    Lu,
    I’ve thought before about how fortunate I am that I just happen to have been born at a time so that all of this science and information would be available during my early adulthood. I’ve also envied all the 13 year olds and the chance they have, not to mention the kids born into it.
    I’ve eaten plenty of unhealthy snack foods in my life. Not to mention abundant amounts of pizza, pasta, cake, etc. So many dinner rolls…. Eating large amounts of, often unhealthy, food has unfortunately been something I’ve done often. Also sadly, that behavior was often positively reinforced by others. Sure is manly to keep eating more.
    Crossfit competing sounds like a blast. And hey, beats being one of the young women at home eating sour patch kids. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    TFC approves this thread! Awesome job! Love to see young men kicking major ass.
    Until you plateau don't change a thing. Keep on trucking brother!
    You able to incorporate the olympic lifts in at your gym? You would love it.
    I appreciate the approval. If TFC approves you know itís solid.
    Iíve considered the possibility of incorporating some Olympic lifts sometime in the future. Iíve done them before, but not performed in a way such as the lifts in my RPT routine.
    I may do them someday, but Iíd need to start light and really get the form down. They seem rather dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjmm View Post
    I am a 52 yo male and am currently making the switch from the big 3 to the 3 day split.
    I have seen my Levi's go from 36 to 32, lost around 10 pounds and am well on my way
    to my goals. This workout makes so much sense to a busy person, bust butt for 30 mins
    3 times a week. I eat 80/20 no grass fed and of course the chocolate.

Mon deadlifts/chinups
    Wen bench/pushups
    Fri Squats

I am in week 6 of 12
    Deadlift s 140 c 210 g 240
    Squats s 140 c 205 g 220
    bench s 140 c 165 g 180
    Congrats on your success. You really canít beat how convenient a routine like this. And a neat thing about it is that working out much harder can be counterproductive- a truth I only recently accepted. And overworking something like your biceps is a tragedy.

Looks like your 5 lbs away from squatting with 4 45lb plates, assuming a 45 lb bar. Slide some 2 Ĺís on there and join the secret society.

purple579 is offline Member
    Hey mrhtower-great post. I'm a 19 yo female, been doing a 5-day split for a while but have been thinking of changing it up. This may be the routine I'll try next. 2 questions for you-one, what's your post-workout meal method (i.e., sweet potatoes and fruit or keeping it low-carb? or none at all?) Second, I've never really done bench presses before with the barbell set up-always too intimidated to go at it in a male dominated weight room without a buddy to spot me. Would you say it's difficult to do yourself? I've always done squats and deadlifts on my own, no problem, but for some reason the bench press always scared me away...
    Already loving the idea of big lifts only 3X a week.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing bench press as a woman by myself. It kinda sucks. I've missed a few times and not been able to rack the bar. This has left me helplessly flailing and calling out to whoever is near for help. I hate asking for a spot, but at some point, you just have to. If your gym is crowded, you might be able to work with someone else, take turns spotting each other. There are more women bench pressing than I expected, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I've been doing bench press as a woman by myself. It kinda sucks. I've missed a few times and not been able to rack the bar. This has left me helplessly flailing and calling out to whoever is near for help. I hate asking for a spot, but at some point, you just have to. If your gym is crowded, you might be able to work with someone else, take turns spotting each other. There are more women bench pressing than I expected, too.

Just ask for a spot.... Seriously.....the worst they can say is "no". Then call them a douchebag and ask the person standing next to them. Actually I've been in gyms for many years and I don't know if anyone has ever refused to help spot me.

Do not get hurt just cause your shy!

Oh, and learn good bench form too! This is not stressed enough IMO. Everyone focuses on technique in other regards, but you can easily get hurt on the bench with poor form also.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by purple579 View Post
    Hey mrhtower-great post. I'm a 19 yo female, been doing a 5-day split for a while but have been thinking of changing it up. This may be the routine I'll try next. 2 questions for you-one, what's your post-workout meal method (i.e., sweet potatoes and fruit or keeping it low-carb? or none at all?) Second, I've never really done bench presses before with the barbell set up-always too intimidated to go at it in a male dominated weight room without a buddy to spot me. Would you say it's difficult to do yourself? I've always done squats and deadlifts on my own, no problem, but for some reason the bench press always scared me away...
    Already loving the idea of big lifts only 3X a week.
    Purple,
    Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you're gonna try this out! There's no question about its convenience, and the results will speak for themselves.
    To answer your questions:
    1.) generally speaking, I try to consume my largest meal post workout and up my carbs, potentially including sweet potatoes (regular potatoes on occasion) and fruit. After a 16-20 or so hour fast and a real weight lifting session, your body should be telling you it's time to consume some food. A normal, well balanced meal with more total calories and carbs is most appropriate. However, I don't over worry about hitting my macros perfectly. Main thing- eat primal friendly foods in your eating window in whatever way is most comfortable to you.
    Also, as I said in my post, I will often choose not to eat for hours post workout to retain my already high HGH levels (among other reasons). I believe Mark Sisson does this routinely with his own workouts. As I've seen written before, surely even the most fit and cunning of Groks were unsuccessful at some of their hunts. Or had to do physical work without the reward of food. Try it out sometime!
    2.) I personally ask someone to spot me on my top bench set, where I often go til failure (so a spotter is needed). As others are saying, noone will ever turn you down! Most people will probably be just sitting down looking at their biceps anyways- find someone who doesn't look busy. Or ask someone who works at your gym.
    If a spotter is out of the question, you might use dumbells, or go one rep short of failure. Be sure not to clip the weights on, so if you're stuck you can let them slide off the ends (slide them off one end and the others will follow). This is not actually all that dangerous, just make sure no one is around you. There's also the rolling the bar down your body into your lap technique, which I don't recommend.

Good luck to you. Give your workouts everything you have and get plenty of rest!
    Last edited by mrhtower; 02-05-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123