Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Differences between dumb-bell deadlifts and dumb-bell squats? page 4

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    quikky, powerlifters does what you call half squats, and even compete in it, so they must all be doing "bullshit" then? And just for the record, I am not against going fully down either, this also can have it's mission, but calling a 90 degree squat "bullshit" is beyond retarded in my book. And yes, also half benchpress and half bicepscurl are tools used by experienced llifters, but obviously you haven't reached that level yet...

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    quikky, powerlifters does what you call half squats, and even compete in it, so they must all be doing "bullshit" then? And just for the record, I am not against going fully down either, this also can have it's mission, but calling a 90 degree squat "bullshit" is beyond retarded in my book. And yes, also half benchpress and half bicepscurl are tools used by experienced llifters, but obviously you haven't reached that level yet...
    Yes, many consider a lot of the current powerlifting squats bullshit. It's not that these guys are not insanely strong, it's that they wear squat suits, tight knee wraps, and have judges not require full depth so a lot of the current "records" are not really objective records. Who is stronger, someone who half squats 900lb, or someone who fully squats 900lb?

Once again, we're not talking about "fully down", that's called an ass-to-grass squat, which is still superior to half squats. We're talking about below parallel, full squats. Full squats are the way to safely, efficiently, and in balance, develop lower body strength. They don't have "its mission", they ARE the mission. Do you even know the difference between the different full back squats: low-bar or high-bar?

Doing half squat is bullshit. As I said in a previous post, you cause uneven forces to be applied to the knee, you're not developing all legs muscles, and you're not developing strength through the full range of motion of your legs. Half bench or half curl could potentially be used on top of full range of motion bench presses and curls, NOT as the only chest/bicep exercises. Do you think a chest workout of just half bench presses is good? Then, why is a leg workout consisting of only half squats good?

Also, stop trying to attack me, and attack the argument. Considering the knowledge you've been demonstrating about lifting, questioning others' lifting ability is just silly.
    Last edited by quikky; 01-30-2013 at 07:12 PM.

firechick0228 is offline Junior Member
    Lilith my suggestion would be to start with a basic dumbbell hip hinge rather than a dead lift. Many people have difficulty with the proper form and technique of the exercise, and doing hip hinges will limit the range of motion so you can focus on form and getting your muscles to engage properly, then progress from there.
    Start standing upright, feet hip-width apart. Dumbbells over your thighs and hinge forward at the hips, knees soft, not locked. Keep your back flat, chest up and shoulders back, lowering the dumb bells as low as you can while keeping your back flat. Don't let the weight of the dumb bells pull your shoulders forward. As you stand back up pull from your heels, roll your shoulders back, push hips slightly forward and squeeze your glutes, finish with dumb bells at your sides.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    quikky, Throwing around words as "bullshit" and seriously bullshitting about a fully legitimate way of doing a squat to the paralells, indicates pretty clear that you don't have much training experience. And all your questions and half chewed and poorly digested knowledge about lifting makes this discussion very unfruitful from my perspective, so have fun or whatever...

mrhtower is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    Sigh. Why do lifting threads always seem to invite people to be smart-asses?

Look here. http://stronglifts.com/wp-content/up...t-deadlift.jpg

Aside from a slight shift forward in the center of gravity, and a slight difference in the depth, quite a bit alike.

Also, scroll down and read the paragraph on muscle stimulation on this. Powerlifts: The Squat vs. The Deadlift | Poliquin Article

So, I stand by my statement, not a huge difference in the movements. In my opinion, most people start with their hips too high for a deadlift and it turns into a straight-leg deadlift with a good stretch.

And for those who seem to be confused as to what the bottom of the squat and the start of a deadlift look like, see the first link.

Sheesh. Really people? Tell you what, I won't make smart ass comments about your ability to do squats or deadlifts until we work out together. And how about you keep your asinine comments to yourself until you strap on 70 lbs a gear and go for a 10 mile run with me? Mmmkay?

How to Deadlift: The Definitive Guide to Proper Deadlift Form StrongLifts

This video, with the same website from your comment clearly shows the difference in depth. This guy starts especially high, which is in part due to him being barefoot. If you're wearing shoes you need to squat lower to get to the bar.

If the bottom of your squats are at the same level as this video, they are indeed referred to as half squats. You got me beat on the running with weighted gear. Of course, that's not the most primal friendly of workouts.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    quikky, Throwing around words as "bullshit" and seriously bullshitting about a fully legitimate way of doing a squat to the paralells, indicates pretty clear that you don't have much training experience. And all your questions and half chewed and poorly digested knowledge about lifting makes this discussion very unfruitful from my perspective, so have fun or whatever...
    You can never answer my questions because you don't know what the hell you're talking about when it comes to lifting. You don't understand how the leg muscles interact during a squat, because if you did, you wouldn't be spewing out bullshit about half squats being a good exercise. I'm talking physiology here, you're talking... Wait, what is your explanation for half squats being good? Oh, right, you just back out of the argument because you know you have nothing to say to facts. I see a pattern here: a half-squatter, half-arguing.

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhtower View Post
    How to Deadlift: The Definitive Guide to Proper Deadlift Form StrongLifts

This video, with the same website from your comment clearly shows the difference in depth. This guy starts especially high, which is in part due to him being barefoot. If you're wearing shoes you need to squat lower to get to the bar.

If the bottom of your squats are at the same level as this video, they are indeed referred to as half squats. You got me beat on the running with weighted gear. Of course, that's not the most primal friendly of workouts.
    Can't watch the video. They are blocked on our network here. I'm curious as to your assumption that my squats are half squats. Please point me to my statement to that assumption or where ANYONE asked me about that. If someone had been curious enough to ask me for clarification I would have been happy to tell them, my squats are below parallel.

So, now can we agree that I understand what the hell depth means?

That being said, aside from the distance in DEPTH, the movements are still quite similar, to include muscle activation. And done with dumbbells as the OP asked, essentially the same.

As far as the run, sometimes life decisions mean certain things come before personal desire or "friendly" workouts. That was my grumpy comment after reading asshole comments before.
    Last edited by Althaur; 01-30-2013 at 08:07 PM.

mrhtower is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    Can't watch the video. They are blocked on our network here. I'm curious as to your assumption that my squats are half squats. Please point me to my statement to that assumption or where ANYONE asked me about that. If someone had been curious enough to ask me for clarification I would have been happy to tell them, my squats are below parallel.

So, now can we agree that I understand what the hell depth means?

That being said, aside from the distance in DEPTH, the movements are still quite similar, to include muscle activation. And done with dumbbells as the OP asked, essentially the same.

As far as the run, sometimes life decisions mean certain things come before personal desire or "friendly" workouts. That was my grumpy comment after reading asshole comments before.
    My post should have read "if the bottom of one's* squats are at the same level...". I beileve I got you mixed up with another poster, Gorbag. I have no way of knowing how low you go on your squats, and could not care less.

Both lifts, especially with dumbells (at least as I imagine them being performed in my head) are pretty similar looking. At least more so than other pairs of workouts. But there are differences and they're important.

I believe the OP's question has been answered so I'm gonna turn the blue light down on my tv and get my 8 hours in.
    Last edited by mrhtower; 01-30-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    No worries M. Have a great night.

troody is offline Junior Member
    If you are still afraid, there are fixed barbells at most gyms. You can practice with those. There are good videos done by Mark Rippetoe on youtube for how to actually do these lifts.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast