Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Differences between dumb-bell deadlifts and dumb-bell squats? page 3

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhtower View Post
    I do sometimes squat up and down (potentially below parallel) while gripping the bar before my lift as a means to brace myself (if you can picture that). Perhaps the bottom of this motion is what he is referring to as the "start" of the DL?
    Maybe he considers getting out of his car and walking through the parking lot into the gym as the start of the deadlift. But when the deadlift actually starts, the hips are far higher than the knees. At the bottom of the squat, they cannot be. Or it isn't actually a squat.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    I always do ass-to-grass conventional deadlifts and make sure my hips and shoulders rise at the same pace. Of course, it hurts a bit when the bar clears the knees this way.

/sarcasm

mrhtower is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Maybe he considers getting out of his car and walking through the parking lot into the gym as the start of the deadlift. But when the deadlift actually starts, the hips are far higher than the knees. At the bottom of the squat, they cannot be. Or it isn't actually a squat.
    lol.
    No, yeah he's wrong.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    If you remove the barbell from the picture, the bottom of a GOOD squat and the start of a deadlift look almost exactly the same.
    Not at all. As RichMahogany has said above, you're either squatting far too low for the deadlift, or doing a half squat when you're squatting.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Not at all. As RichMahogany has said above, you're either squatting far too low for the deadlift, or doing a half squat when you're squatting.
    Except that a half squat is fully acceptable, since the tension will be highest at that point, instead of learning the trick of going to the bottom and using the ass and calves as a trampoline to jump the weight up...

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Except that a half squat is fully acceptable, since the tension will be highest at that point, instead of learning the trick of going to the bottom and using the ass and calves as a trampoline to jump the weight up...
    If you don't care about either hip drive or the longevity of your knees. Half squats are bullshit.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    If you don't care about either hip drive or the longevity of your knees. Half squats are bullshit.
    Bullshit??? I have been doing it that way for 35 years, the same as powerlifters does, and my knees are excellent! Some friends of me preferred the deep squat trick of rebounding the weight from the bottom position with a hip replacement as a result before the age of fifty, so choose for yourselves...

Uhm, you're talking about a poorly executed ass-to-grass high bar squat. If you do a low-bar break parallel squat, there is no "ass/calves trampoline", it's a controlled movement the entire time.

Bullshit??? I have been doing it that way for 35 years, the same as powerlifters does, and my knees are excellent! Some friends of me preferred the deep squat trick of rebounding the weight from the bottom position with a hip replacement as a result before the age of fifty, so choose for yourselves...
    Half squats are bullshit. Do you half bench press? Half pull-up? Half bicep curl? Why not? The same applies to squats - when you do a properly executed low bar, break parallel squat, you fully engage your quads, adductors, hamstrings, and glutes, i.e. all your major leg muscles. When you do a half squat, you're training your quads through a partial range of motion, and you're putting uneven tension on your knee joint. I bet you point your toes straight ahead too. I would highly recommend reading some books on the subject.

Whether your knees are fine or not after years of poor form does not change the fact that your form is poor or that poor form does not cause injury. I know someone who smoked for 35 years and is still healthy - does this prove that smoking is healthy? Anecdotal evidence does not change human physiology.

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Sigh. Why do lifting threads always seem to invite people to be smart-asses?

Look here. http://stronglifts.com/wp-content/up...t-deadlift.jpg

Aside from a slight shift forward in the center of gravity, and a slight difference in the depth, quite a bit alike.

Also, scroll down and read the paragraph on muscle stimulation on this. Powerlifts: The Squat vs. The Deadlift | Poliquin Article

So, I stand by my statement, not a huge difference in the movements. In my opinion, most people start with their hips too high for a deadlift and it turns into a straight-leg deadlift with a good stretch.

And for those who seem to be confused as to what the bottom of the squat and the start of a deadlift look like, see the first link.

Sheesh. Really people? Tell you what, I won't make smart ass comments about your ability to do squats or deadlifts until we work out together. And how about you keep your asinine comments to yourself until you strap on 70 lbs a gear and go for a 10 mile run with me? Mmmkay?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast