Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Differences between dumb-bell deadlifts and dumb-bell squats? page 2

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    [/QUOTE][QUOTE=mrhtower;1076172]I second the Mark Rippetoe comment. Best barbell techinque instruction I've come across.

Major difference:
    Squats begin at the top, Dead-lifts begin at the bottom.
    Ideally, you should be able to dead-lift more than you can squat (you can lift more weight off the ground than you can lower and then lift again).
    Maybe I'm a freak but my squat is always higher than my dead lift. I would think most people are stronger on their quads than their hamstring.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Althaur;1076263]
    If you look at the mechanics of the two movements with dumbbells, there really is NO difference, other than the squats start at the top and deadlifts at the bottom.
    The angles of the joints are all about the same. I like what mrhtower posted though, try putting the dumbbells over or in front of your feet. This will make the starting angle a bit different. Still, not a huge difference in the movement.

Really? doing a deadlift is so different than squatting and to mention that a squat is quad dominant exercise while the deadlift is hip dominant. Deadlift requires one to bend down while a squat should replicate a sitting motion.

goneprimal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhtower View Post
    Maybe I'm a freak but my squat is always higher than my dead lift. I would think most people are stronger on their quads than their hamstring.
    Try going below parallel on them squats.

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    Really? doing a deadlift is so different than squatting and to mention that a squat is quad dominant exercise while the deadlift is hip dominant. Deadlift requires one to bend down while a squat should replicate a sitting motion.
    Um, I don't know ANYONE who is doing a correct squat that isn't bending at the hips as well. If you remove the barbell from the picture, the bottom of a GOOD squat and the start of a deadlift look almost exactly the same.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    They sure don't FEEL the same though.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

mrhtower is offline Member
    The squat at the bottom and deadlift at the start are similar, especially in leg positioning.
    Some differences:
    1. Generally, the thighs are parallel or lower for squat and slightly less than parallel for deadlift. The start of deadlift looks closer to 85% of the way down of the squat.
    2. Your back is not near as bent over at the bottom of a squat as it is at the start of a deadlift. At the start of the DL, you should be bent over enough so that your shoulders are roughly 10 degrees (estimate) in front of the bar. That should be 10 degrees in front of the balls of your feet. This would be dangerous at the bottom of your squat- try it out.

During the squat, including the bottom, your chin should be up so that if you were wearing a hat, the bill would be parallel to the floor, straight foward. At the start of the deadlift, a line drawn straight out from the bill would hit the floor at an angle, at a point out in front of you. Where you look with your eyes is up to you.
    Last edited by mrhtower; 01-30-2013 at 01:48 PM.

cayla- my squat used to be higher than my DL too, although I didn't DL near as much... But with a squat, you're moving the weight close to twice the distance and starting off with a negative, with less muscles. Sure the quads are stronger than the hamstrings, and the squats hit the quads harder than any other workout. But, DLs hit the thighs extremely hard, all while training the other largest muscles you have including your glutes and hamstrings, core, entire back, and arms. Yes, with DLs your arms must bear the entire weight while with squats the bar rests on your shoulders. DLs use more muscles than squats - especially with barbells.

Additionally the 13th post of this thread by 'goneprimal' is misleading (can't figure out multi-quoting...). Those are not my words.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    If you remove the barbell from the picture, the bottom of a GOOD squat and the start of a deadlift look almost exactly the same.
    I disagree very much with this. If this is the case, you're either getting your hips way too low at the start of your deadlifts or your squats fail to reach parallel by a huge degree.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do sometimes squat up and down (potentially below parallel) while gripping the bar before my lift as a means to brace myself (if you can picture that). Perhaps the bottom of this motion is what he is referring to as the "start" of the DL?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast