Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help- I seem hell-bent on destroying myself page 3

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Break the cycle by trying to eat intuitively, really listen to what your body wants and eat without any embarrassment or regret.
    Absolutely DO NOT "listen to what your body wants." At the moment Campanella has a real addiction to wheat and sugar and eating "intuitively" means to eat more wheat and sugar. Would you tell a drug addict to listen to his body and take more drugs?

900 calories is not enough -- you should be eating twice that. My suggestion is to keep binging... but binge on the good stuff. Ground beef and veggies and butter and salt. Yup, it goes against everything you've ever been told. Always have a big pile of frozen veggies with a big pat of butter ready to go into the microwave, and binge your heart out. Eat ground beef for meals. If you need something sweet, drink Deit Coke. Yes yes it's bad stuff, but it's better than binging on real sugar.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by campanella View Post
    Thank you answerers. Louisa- I think you're right, but it's the stigma that deters me from that route. the stress would wreak more havoc than overeating does.

Seahorse, I read Mark's blog but not the book. I'm a little unclear of the fat burning v. sugar burning scenario. Right now I eat a lot of fruit and potatoes every day, as a staple, as well as dairy, although not grains (and only recently have I started eating sugar again.) Is 150-200 g carbs per day impeding fat burning metabolism?
    Don't worry about a perceived 'stigma' -- most of us are so worried about hiding our own shit that we don't focus on others :-)
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Absolutely DO NOT "listen to what your body wants." At the moment Campanella has a real addiction to wheat and sugar and eating "intuitively" means to eat more wheat and sugar. Would you tell a drug addict to listen to his body and take more drugs?

900 calories is not enough -- you should be eating twice that. My suggestion is to keep binging... but binge on the good stuff. Ground beef and veggies and butter and salt. Yup, it goes against everything you've ever been told. Always have a big pile of frozen veggies with a big pat of butter ready to go into the microwave, and binge your heart out. Eat ground beef for meals. If you need something sweet, drink Deit Coke. Yes yes it's bad stuff, but it's better than binging on real sugar.
    You give the absolute worst advice.

People, this is a person who has a unhealthy relationship with food. She is also a teenager. Telling her to eliminate food groups and like the above is saying to go low carb is guaranteeing that she will binge further. No one on earth is going to be satisfied from ground beef and veggies with butter. In the context of gaining a healthy relationship with food and getting over nutritional deficiancies, she needs to not feel limited to anything, nothing is taboo. Eat what you want without guilt, wheat and sugar are not going to kill you, billions eat them without ill effects. you wont ballon up in weight overnight either.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    ...she needs to not feel limited to anything, nothing is taboo. Eat what you want without guilt, wheat and sugar are not going to kill you, billions eat them without ill effects. you wont ballon up in weight overnight either.
    So, Campanella, this is the absolute worst advice from a dirty troll.
    "No one on earth is going to be satisfied from ground beef and veggies with butter.
    - if Zach couldn't break his suggar and wheat addiction, that doesn't mean nobody can. There are enough people who has done it and are satisfied from meat and veggies.
    While wheat and sugar doesn't kill people as efficiently as cyanide would, still it does quite some harm and getting fat to level of illness is one of them. And there are billions of people all over the world who have this ill effect. Not overnight, but be informed that normally people tend to live more than just a few nights. Within some years of eating the non-suitable food groups some people do get fat, get diabetes, etc. We do not need all the foods that there are in the world, especially not wheat and sugar (and check the others you may want to avoid).

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    I came to my senses at a doctor visit in november when they said it was concerning that I lost weight since last year, and my mom started commenting that all my clothes suddenly seemed huge on me and she thought I might not be getting enough starch---
    About 30 years ago my pediatrician told my mom that although I was healthy, i was too underweight and to start getting me eat more starches, it worked, I got fat and went through the rest of my life as a fat kid. To this day, she says the #1 mistake she felt she made in raising her kids was listening to that quack.

campanella is offline Senior Member
    I guess I should clarify. I ate far too little during the summer but since october/november I've eaten definitely somewhere over 2000 cal and have gained about 20 lbs...
    Only the last week really have I touched sugar, and not because of the cravings I used to get but are now gone, but because I simply had a little bit, liked the taste and felt like I didn't care anymore about the effects. I haven't eaten wheat in over a year.
    I think occasional sugar isn't such a bad thing as long as it doesn't become a habit. The bigger problem is that I've been binging on everything, every food, every food that is praised as unbingeable, and learned you can certainly gain weight on primal fare.

I appreciate all of your input and will work on ways to solve my inner issues first.

imgliniel is offline Junior Member
    I think the last thing in the world you need is to start worrying about eliminating food groups or macro ratios.
    Have note read past here, but..

+1,000,000

imgliniel is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I guess I should clarify. I ate far too little during the summer but since october/november I've eaten definitely somewhere over 2000 cal and have gained about 20 lbs...
    Only the last week really have I touched sugar, and not because of the cravings I used to get but are now gone, but because I simply had a little bit, liked the taste and felt like I didn't care anymore about the effects. I haven't eaten wheat in over a year.
    I think occasional sugar isn't such a bad thing as long as it doesn't become a habit. The bigger problem is that I've been binging on everything, every food, every food that is praised as unbingeable, and learned you can certainly gain weight on primal fare.

I appreciate all of your input and will work on ways to solve my inner issues first.
    Just my take, take it for what it is, a random internet oppinion, just like EVERY other response in this thread.

Personally, I agree with those that say you need to sort out what is going on to trigger this, not try by sheer willpower to modify, restrict or whatever, your diet. You already have an unhealthy relationship with food, and trying to force yourself to eat a certain way (regardless of what that way may be) is only going to hurt. You are not going to deal with what is making it happen.

I am a huge proponent of counceling. I have used it myself, on several occassions, and having someone with an outside perspective to guide you through your transformation is amazing. A good councelor or therapist doesn't tell you to do things, they ask you questions to help you understand yourself better. They guide your personal explaoration into your problems. They let you propose your own solutions and help you make them work. Just understanding what is going on inside you and working through those feelings makes such a diference.

That being said, yes I would go to a dr and make sure you have no medical issues that could contribute. (don't necessarily listen to their advice though, if I had I'd be on several strong antideppressants instead of completely depression free through proper diet change and counceling along with lifestyle changes)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123