Thread: Conventional Heavy Cream without Carrageenan and Pastured Heavy Cream WITH page

Catrin is offline Senior Member

Conventional Heavy Cream without Carrageenan and Pastured Heavy Cream WITH

Shop Now
    Ok, I am faced with a conundrum. I get that carrageenan isn't good for us, and I also don't want to consume conventional dairy. However, in my area at least, all of the pastured heavy cream (almost my only form of dairy) ALL has carrageenan. The only heavy cream I can find that doesn't have anything else in it is a non-pastured heavy cream sold at Whole Foods. I assume it is conventional. Their pastured cream does have it.

So which is worse for me? I only have a couple of tablespoons a day in my coffee, but I am unsure just how bad
    carrageenan is for us. Thoughts? Trader Joe's has half and half that doesn't have it, but I don't like to use that as I must use sugar if I don't use full cream. Bad, I know but there it is, heavy cream is a better choice for me.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    How irritated are your guts? If you have leaky gut and are healing that up then the carrageenan may worse of the two choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    How irritated are your guts? If you have leaky gut and are healing that up then the carrageenan may worse of the two choices.
    My gut can be very picky - it's better than it used to be but it still acts up from time to time...that being said I've been using the pastured cream with this additive without realizing it. Glad I finally noticed it, but I do wonder WHY they think they must add it!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Does Whole Foods not have more than one kind of heavy cream? I don't think getting non-pastured milk is really so terrible. My local location has a number of milks and creams available. Some are from local farms and don't have carageenan or anything like that. They even have a grass-fed option.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

The grass-fed option (which is what I've been using) includes the carrageenan. There are other brands but they all appear to contain it, outside of the one non-grass-fed version. Perhaps our location carries different brands than yours. I guess it will be the one without the additive...

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Use butter and a blender

I've tried this but don't really care for it. I prefer just straight heavy cream instead. And...my co-workers would really start wondering if they heard a blender in my office...good idea though!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post

I've tried this but don't really care for it. I prefer just straight heavy cream instead. And...my co-workers would really start wondering if they heard a blender in my office...good idea though!
    Haha I know what you mean. It really isn't the same, although quite delicious in itself. But I avoid carageenan, so I'd personally just skip the grass-fed one.