Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maybe we ought to rethink our consumption of Quinoa page 2

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    iniQuity

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I grew up in Peru ....
    we lived close to Lima,
    Totally off topic, but my son is in Peru right now. He and 2 friends took their surfboards and backpacks and are there till April 2. They spent a week in Lima but left in search of better waves and took a bus to Mancora today.

Back on topic: Maybe I'll ask him if he's had any quinoa yet.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Wow -- Thanks for all the responses! As usual, an issue like this is more complicated than it seems at first glance. I tend to have free market views, and appreciate the rebuttals to the opening article. But I'm also learning more about the importance of buying local -- although that isn't always possible. However, in a global economy, with transportation getting easier and faster, "local" is becoming a wider and wider area. I now live in Wisconsin, but the other day I was shopping at a neighborhood food co-op and bought a bag of organic onions. When I got them home, I realized they were shipped from Sedro-Woolley, Washington (state) -- the small town I went to high school in! That certainly felt "local!"
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

slee11211 is offline Junior Member
    Also a note for anyone eating Primal/Paleo due to Celiac or auto immune issues...read an article recently that said that they got around to testing Quinoa for an auto immune response in Celiacs (most likely because it's a common grain that Celiacs use in their diets). There are 18 varieties of Quinoa - you will never be told which you are eating, as they are never labeled. Of the 18 varieties, 4 of them produced a clear response in Celiacs (and most likely this would pertain to gluten sensitive people too). So, yet another reason to just eliminate the grains.

Rojo is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    That article doesn't refute anything, it just soft-peddles the down side.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    iniQuity

Totally off topic, but my son is in Peru right now. He and 2 friends took their surfboards and backpacks and are there till April 2. They spent a week in Lima but left in search of better waves and took a bus to Mancora today.

Back on topic: Maybe I'll ask him if he's had any quinoa yet.
    Surfing is pretty big over there (for those close to the water anyway, I never did it) I hope they have fun and don't run into issues. I love my country but it's not exactly the safest.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Surfing is pretty big over there (for those close to the water anyway, I never did it) I hope they have fun and don't run into issues. I love my country but it's not exactly the safest.
    They spent last summer at Muizenberg beach in South Africa. They learned a few hard lessons on that trip. (pickpocket - iPhone, stolen laptop, bank card, $, etc) They are older and wiser now. I think/hope They are staying at Mancora for a couple of weeks and then going to Machu Picchu.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    They spent last summer at Muizenberg beach in South Africa. They learned a few hard lessons on that trip. (pickpocket - iPhone, stolen laptop, bank card, $, etc) They are older and wiser now. I think/hope They are staying at Mancora for a couple of weeks and then going to Machu Picchu.
    That's really cool, I'm hoping to go to Machu Picchu for the first time in August of this year.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12