Thread: High calorie soups for stomach cancer paitent page

amazonmagic is offline Senior Member

High calorie soups for stomach cancer paitent

Primal Fuel
    Good Morning All,

I am coming to my primal friends for some needed recipes. My father has been diagnosed with terminal stomach cancer and is unable to eat a lot of food and loosing weight much to rapidly. My mother and I are looking for high calorie soups or mush foods that he would be able to eat. He can no longer stomach red meat so that is out and he can only eat about a 1/2 cup at a time. Does anyone have any high calorie recipes or ideas I can try with him. We need some help. So far I have fed him mashed cauliflower with cream cheese and pumpkin soup. He can handle a bit of chicken and some solids but not much. Thanks for you help.

Amazon

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

If he can handle butter, adding that to cream soups will certainly up the calories and nourishment.

If you have access to healthful chickens, maybe make up a big batch of bone broth, but leave the meat on the bones (cut a whole chicken into at least eight pieces). The broth, once you've taken out the solids, can be simmered down for bases of other soups. If he can't handle all the fat from the chicken skin, take that off before you make the broth. The saved chicken can be used on the days he can handle a bit.

Creamed potato, squash, root (with cream cheese, cream, and/or butter) soups will provide calories. If he likes the pumkin soup, he might also like sweet potato soup.

Hugs to you and your family.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Is his cancer operable at all? I ask because my grandfather (now 100!) was diagnosed at 97 with terminal stomach cancer (3 months to live). He's a tank of a man, though, and opted for surgery and is still alive today...cancer free.

He def. did and still prefers soups over most other foods. I would often make him a vegetable minestrone that he loved! I would highly suggest, as JoanieL said, to learn to make some bone broth first and use this as your base for whatever kind of soup you create!

Here is my minestone:
    Saute 1 c. chopped onion, 1/4 c. chopped celery and 2 cloves minced garlic (I use lard or coconut oil)
    Add in:
    1 quart broth (chicken or vegetable...homemade chicken preferably for health benefits)
    1/2 c. chopped carrots
    1/2 c. shredded spinach
    1 pint jar tomatoes
    1 Tablespoon tomato paste
    1/2 c. potato chunks
    2 Tablespoons fresh parsley
    1 tsp. sea salt
    -----
    Cook for around an hour...or let it go longer if you want.
    -----
    Sometimes I'll add in a can of cannellini beans (but these could be hard on your dad's stomach) or even some gluten-free pasta or a small amount of rice.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Not a soup but maybe a smoothie or chocolate drink with cream or coconutmilk will help.
    All the best helping your dad and I hope you and your parents will still be able to spend some good time together

amazonmagic is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all,

We've got him on smoothies right now, but just need more calories, its the whole 1/2 cup thing. He's not eligible for surgery at all, just pallative chemo, which scares the poop out of me. Thanks you again for your help

geostump is offline Senior Member
    1 Tbsp butter
    1 Cup HWC
    1 8oz block of cream cheese
    3 cups chicken broth
    bag frozen or fresh chopped brocolli
    2 cups sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    pepper to season

In a pan, place your chicken broth and brocolli in a pan and let cook until soft. In a separate pan, melt your butter, HWC and cream cheese until smooth. When all that is melted, add your cheddar cheese. Once brocolli is cooked, take a stick blender and break the brocolli into smaller pieces, add to cheese mixture and add a little pepper to season. Enjoy!

Don't ask me what the macros are but I know it's high in fat. I know you can google it to get the info.

This is good stuff and a half to 3/4 cup is pretty filling. This will work as long as he tolerates dairy.
    Georgette

peril is offline Senior Member
    What about coconut milk based soups such as laksa or tom kha gai? Just adjust the spicings and other ingredients to what he will tolerate
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    or even just add coconut milk to a broth based soup, the taste doesn't come through at all
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If he'll eat sweet things you can make him ice cream shakes. You can use HWC as the thinner, add nut butter, hell add spoonfuls of coconut oil even. Lots of ways to pump calories into that.

edit: For protein you could add eggs, greek yogurt, milk powder, nuts as mentioned above.

+ the more sugary fruits, dates, etc.
    Last edited by sjmc; 01-29-2013 at 04:31 AM.