Thread: What gives?? page

Stephz80 is offline Junior Member

Question What gives??

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I have been eating primally for the last 3 weeks and am not seeing results and was wondering if anyone here had any ideas.

I had a baby in April 2012 and was nursing until December. I gained 30 lbs with my pregnancy eating healthy and lost all except maybe about 5-7 lbs naturally. I have stopped nursing and would like to try for baby number soon later this summer, but would really like to lose 20-30 lbs before doing so (had weight to lose before I got pregnanct with baby number 1).

3 weeks ago, I started the primal diet, but haven't had much time between work and the baby to exercise. I lost 5 lbs the first week and felt great. I kept going and had 1 or two instances where I ate something non-primal accidentally while out to eat (still getting adjusted to this) and ended up with a 1 lb gain the second week even though I was on point 85-90% of my meals that week. Third week was more of the same, but ended with a 2 lb gain.

My husband continues to eat "normally" for breakfast and lunch, but eats primal for dinner because I'm in charge of making dinner, and he has lost 7 lbs. Could there be a problem with my metabolism or do I need to start counting calories as well? Has anyone else had any experience with something like this?

Normal breakfast is 2 eggs with bacon, 2 egg omlette with ham and a little cheese or a crustless spinach quiche (eggs, chopped spinach, cheese). Lunch is leftovers or a salad + protein. Dinner is protein + veggie (pork loin + sauteed cabbage, steak + steam broccoli, baked chicken thighs + sauteed zucchini/squash, etc).

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Stephanie is offline Member
    I had the same problems too. I'm not sure if it's the mommy hormones causing problems and holding the weight on.

One thing that really helped me was drinking 64 oz a water a day. That was my little magic cure, I managed to release the last 40 pounds.

I also had some thyroid problems (autoimmune and hypo) that were fixed naturally (I know birth/breastfeeding wreaks havoc on the thyroid) and the big thing was to eat protein with in the first 30 minutes of waking up. It "sets your blood sugar for the day" says my doc, and sets you up for fat burning mode. It may not work for everyone, I see a lot of ppl on here are into fasting in the morning, but you could try it.

Try and get a little more carbs in the morning and afternoon, and none at night for dinner. Going too low carb will murder your thyroid and can slow weight loss (at least with me).

Chaga mushroom tea, amazing stuff, always helps.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you probably need to count calories as well. Some people do well without counting but I'm sure it's quite likely that you might be overeating or grazing too much. As for your husband losing more weight...guys will always lose weight more easily than women. It's the testosterone. Life's not fair.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Timthetaco Guest

emmie is offline Senior Member
    It may depend on what your 'non-primal' eating consisted of. When you lower carbs, you will lose initial water weight, but it will come back easily when you overdo the carbs (the amount depends on the individual). It's possible that you've just been losing and gaining this initial water weight.

It also may help to track just to see how many calories you're eating. While primal is healthy eating, to lose weight, you need to maintain a caloric deficit--again the caloric level depends on the individual.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Damiana that you probably need to count calories. Unfortunately (and contrary to what Mark's carbohydrate curve suggests), going primal does not automatically make everyone lose weight. Eating fewer than 100 g of carbs a day doesn't put everyone in the primal, "effortless weightloss" sweet spot. Hell, even fewer than 30 g of carbs a day doesn't put me in an "effortless weightloss" sweet spot. Being in ketosis doesn't either. The low carb thing works really well for some but apparently doesn't really work for others.

Bhaktimama is offline Junior Member
    Agree with comments. I lost 22 lbs from September to December 2012 eating very strict primal bit found I had to really limit fruit and nuts to get there. I started counting calories just for a few days to get the feel of what it took. These days I have fallen off the primal wagon a bit and gained 3 lbs, feeling super guilty about it just because I know how to take really good care of my body and I'm not doing it, which makes me disappointed in myself! Overall I think primal I'd lifelong and works so well for weight loss but you just have to be patient. I think sprinting and lifting heavy things are also critical components. I will add that I am currently 5 lbs heavier than my traditional skinny weight, but actually thinner thanks to weight lifting occasionally and just being more active. So I would incorporate all parts of primal and focus on enjoying life.!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Or you could just be patient.
    It takes time, and you may not lose weight every week.
    Its not a weight loss program, its about getting healthy.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    What do you drink?

Do you snack?
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    3 weeks is not a very long time. If you are not seeing results in 3 months or so, then we can hack it.

Otherwise, eat primally, count calories, get as best quality sleep as you can, and exercise as best you can (10 minutes a day will do, even if it's just one thing).

Give it three months, see what happens.