Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting suggestions? page

Kelly Korg is offline Junior Member

Fasting suggestions?

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I am new to this program (have been primal for about three weeks). I was fascinated that intermitten fasting is encouraged. I was always raised that three meals a day plus snacks is a must! I would love to give fasting a try but am not sure how to get started. I am terrified that I won't be able to focus at work because I will be starving.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kelly

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Korg View Post
    Hello,

I am new to this program (have been primal for about three weeks). I was fascinated that intermitten fasting is encouraged. I was always raised that three meals a day plus snacks is a must! I would love to give fasting a try but am not sure how to get started. I am terrified that I won't be able to focus at work because I will be starving.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kelly

Follow the primal blue print as written for 6 months. Then worry about fasting. That is my tip. IMHO jumping into fasting too soon is counterproductive for many.

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Follow the primal blue print as written for 6 months. Then worry about fasting. That is my tip. IMHO jumping into fasting too soon is counterproductive for many.
    Curious as to your reply. Would fasting not always been part of being primal? I'm sure that Gork did not eat perfect for 6 months then fast because of shortage of food.

Please explain....

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Curious as to your reply. Would fasting not always been part of being primal? I'm sure that Gork did not eat perfect for 6 months then fast because of shortage of food.

Please explain....
    Sure, and if i didn't have access to food due to food storage I would fast too. If I had to chase wild game with a spear I would run more as well. In a modern world with food readily accessible it is easy to try to fast before you are ready and then over eat. This is not a problem for everyone but for many it is. As such, I suggest giving your body time to heal/get used to the WOE before trying to fast. Just my personal opinion based on how many here I have seen start fasting too early and failing.

And I am not suggesting everyone fast, merely if you want to I'd suggest waiting until adjusted to this WOE. Again, only my opinion take it or leave it

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I think 3 weeks is probably enough turn you into a fat burning beast, but to find out for sure, just ask yourself, do you have to eat regularly? If you are a fat burning beast the answer is no, maybe you eat regularly, but you could go for longer without. Maybe you just find that you aren't that hungry for breakfast or lunch, well the good news is, you don't have to eat it!

Fasting is good for the body and helps in weight loss. Here is a fantastic MDA article on the subject, and it is actually this article that introduced me to the primal blueprint. Good luck!

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-weight-loss/

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Word. Especially if your fighting any metabolic syndrome or adrenal fatigue. Grok didn't totally screw up these systems then jump to primal eating to fix them. Many new to primal have.

Dignan is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Korg View Post
    Hello,
    I would love to give fasting a try but am not sure how to get started. I am terrified that I won't be able to focus at work because I will be starving.
    I tried doing alternative-day fasting at the beginning of the year, and found it to be pretty disruptive. But fasting from dinner-to-dinner most days has been working really well for me. I don't really get hungry during the day, and I'm not ravenous at dinnertime either.

YMMV of course - especially if you are going directly from SAD to Primal and your body isn't used to relying of fat for energy

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Why are you scared? Try it. If you feel terrible while trying IF, grab a snack. It's not like there's a massive food shortage around these days. You likely aren't going to go crazy or faint or swoon. Hunger isn't something terrifying. Just do it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Kelly Korg is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post
    I think 3 weeks is probably enough turn you into a fat burning beast, but to find out for sure, just ask yourself, do you have to eat regularly? If you are a fat burning beast the answer is no, maybe you eat regularly, but you could go for longer without. Maybe you just find that you aren't that hungry for breakfast or lunch, well the good news is, you don't have to eat it!

Fasting is good for the body and helps in weight loss. Here is a fantastic MDA article on the subject, and it is actually this article that introduced me to the primal blueprint. Good luck!

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-weight-loss/
    So are you saying, if I am burning fat effeciently, I shouldn't be hungry when I fast? Right now, I am usually hungry for each meal (although, snack between meals, which used to be a regular staple for me, is now practically non-existent). How do I get to the point of having a meal sustain me longer?

Thanks for all of the advice!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Art DeVince had a good starting approach. Start with missing one meal a week. Just one. Then see how it goes and how you feel about it. Fasting daily is an overkill for a lot of people and could encourage binges particularly in women.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast