Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low body temp - what to do? 180 degree health or Jack Kruse leptin reset page

Nik
    Nik is offline Member

Low body temp - what to do? 180 degree health or Jack Kruse leptin reset

Shop Now
    Hi there,

I have been primal for over 2 years, and have had low body temps for quite a while now. I have only recently been really concerned about it, because now my kids and husband also have low body temps.... the kids are only fairly primal, and husband more so, but that makes me think it is related to our eating.

Anyway, I have recently added more carbs (not very good ones I might add....potatoe chips and some other processed food and rice. I don't like the idea of it, and my temps aren't up that much, but my freezing hands and feet are a little better. I'm usually around 95 or 96 degrees, and I have seen my temp get into the 97 range, which is high for me.

I'm not sure what I should do.... I have gained a little weight lately, but haven't been eating great for the last two months...(nothing to do with the body temps, just more likely the holidays, and not really getting back on track yet)

I have been reading a bit of 180 degree health, and the Jack Kruse leptin reset, but I'm not sure what is the way to go for me.... I don't want to screw up all the progress I've made by doing 180 degree, and adding in a bunch of carbs and gain even more weight...., but I don't want to screw up my thyroid or whatever might be causing my low body temps by going super low carb again if that's what is causing that.

I am not overweight, but am still what you would call skinny fat. I currently weigh 130lbs.... up from 124. I am 5'5, and am currently working out, but haven't been active for over a year (did not gain weight while not remaining active)..... gained the most weight when I started working out again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! I keep going back and forth as to what to do.... finally I just decided to sit down with a glass of wine and chill out. Hopefully some of you can help me out.

Thanks!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Personally I'm not convinced that body temp outside of the context of other lab markers means a damn thing.

High body temp can be associated with infection, cancer, and autoimmune disease.....Low body temp can be associated with hypothyroid. Without other info you can not rely on body temp alone

Body temp goes down when you consume low calorie (I.e. your trying to lose weight). Goes up when your gaining weight.

If your skinny fat I'd keep eating primal and add in resistance training rather than latching onto either of those other two ideas.

Nik
    Nik is offline Member
    That is helpful, but I guess I just felt like I was needing a change. Obviously adding in junk food is not the answer. I just don't enjoy having freezing hands and feet, and I have gotten to the point that I think maybe being thin isn't as important as being comfortable.

I wonder if I can have both? Can you lose weight and get warm?

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    That is helpful, but I guess I just felt like I was needing a change. Obviously adding in junk food is not the answer. I just don't enjoy having freezing hands and feet, and I have gotten to the point that I think maybe being thin isn't as important as being comfortable.

Yes, eat ridiculously high carb, keep fat low and almost all saturated and keep protein lowish, dairy, eggs and red meat are best sources. Be liberal with the salt and coconut oil and dont fast. Stay away from garbage carbs like chips, grains or anything else high in PUFA, keep it to fruit, potatoes and rice.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Hands and feet are where tissue temperature is lowest. If you are experiencing uncomfortable coldness in the hands, especially since you mentioned your whole family is, it's definitely something you are or are not eating which is causing your metabolism to slow down drastically. It's a sign your thyroid is not working up to par. Since you mentioned raising carbs and getting warmer, this is a pretty obvious sign.

To lose weight, you just need to have an energy expenditure that exceeds your calorie intake. Cut calories, not carbs. Low carb diets are detrimental for weight loss in the long term, as they lower metabolism put simply.

There is also the fact that in prolonged trials(those of 3 weeks or longer) low carb, isocalorie diets have failed to produce statistically significant better weight loss than high carb diets. They don't work, and if they do, it's because you're lowering your metabolism, thus, your appetite, and consequently eating less.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Nik
    Nik is offline Member
    Thanks Zach and Derpamix.... I feel like this is what I needed to do. I know the junk food was a bad idea, and I am sure that my metabolism is low. I will try to add in lots of high carb "acceptable"foods. Thanks!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You could try sprinting. High impact interval training is supposed to rev things up a bit. It doesn't take as long as other forms of exercise. When I do my track sprints it takes about 15 or 20 minutes. When I do other stuff I only spend 5-7 minutes on it. It just kinda gets the body going a little. Also, I really think getting outside in the real sunshine, even if it is weak, and getting the sunshine in your eyes (without sunglasses) and on your face and skin is important. My boyfriend thinks I am nuts, but I swear that if I do it I feel overall more healthy and happy, better sleep and just more in tune with life. I know that's not specifically about body temperature, but I think being on a circadian rhythm is what Kruse is all about and exposure to real sunshine is huge for that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

otzi Guest
    My advice: Go with the PHD and eat starch every day! My body temps have risen from 96's to 98's over the last 4 weeks since adding 2 big servings of starch per day.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post

Hey, have you had your thyroid checked? My hands and feet used to be like icicles, and I was cold ALL the time, even wearing cardigans in summer. Since being properly medicated I haven't noticed the cold, don't have cold extremities, and actually feel the heat like regular people do!

To put it in context - I went to Europe mid winter (pre-thryoid meds etc) with my husband a few years ago. He got around in long pants, a shirt, and maybe a warm jumper. I wore long underwear, jeans, two pairs of socks, a singlet, one long sleeved long under shirt, one shirt, cardigan, heavy overcoat, scarf, leather gloves, sometimes my hsbands glvoes over these, and a beanie. My hands and feet got so cold they were painful. Like, REALLY painful. And then one of my toes actually went numb, and I didn't get any feeling back in it for the rest of the trip (three weeks), and it took about as long upon returning to an Australian summer to get the feeling back in the toe.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    Hey, have you had your thyroid checked?
    ^^^THIS.

Your symptoms sound just like mine when my thyroid had just begun to fail. It took, unfortunately, 9 years and 90 lbs for my doctor to actually figure out what was wrong. Weight gain and feeling cold are two symptoms. Others include fatigue, brain fog, hair loss.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast