Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanning Beds... page

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!

Tanning Beds...

Primal Fuel
    I hate hate hate winter and this winter has been really difficult on my moods. Never been diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder but must have some form of it. I have never tanned in past winters but think I've hit a point where I NEED to try this as a possible crutch to get me through the winter. Anyone else tanning their winter blues away? I'm olive skinned and tan easily and I'm thinking going twice a week??
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

bamabelle is offline Senior Member
    I have a friend whose sis lived in Alaska and went to a tanning bed in the winter for the same reason. I don't know how often, but she said it worked for her sis. You can also get a vitamin D lamp (or SAD lamp) which you can use at home.
    Amanda

sarahelyse is offline Member
    Every year I tell myself I'm going to tan, but I can never justify the money. (Even though it doesn't cost much, as a grad student, I also don't make much!)

I have a Verilux lamp that sits on my desk at work (in a basement with no windows) but it doesn't give me as much of a pick me up as I really want. It perks me up enough to power through long days, but I wouldn't say it makes me feel better. Just more alert.

If you *do* decide to go tan, let me know how it goes! If it works wonders, I might have to re-work my budget and make a few trips to the beds myself!

I was hoping to go today but we appear to be snowed/iced in here! It's on my to-do list for tomorrow though!

I did a round of yoga and that was helpful this morning...my problem usually lies in the evening---I'm ready to go to bed by 7pm and that isnt a good solution. Yesterday I fell asleep on the couch while hubby tucked the kids in---then went up to bed and slept all night until 7am. I need some sun!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hi solstice!

Honest question, here... Have you seriously considered moving south?? I used to know some folks from the Mediterranean countries, those who lived where there was a ton of sun, and they all got ashy-skinned and depressed during the long winters where I met them. They all felt immeasurably better when they got to go home for a good sun soak. Maybe you just need to live somewhere else - Pennsy, as you know, is leafless and dim like Ohio, for a good, long stretch of the year.

I mention it because you are really adamant about hating it there.
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 01-28-2013 at 07:58 AM.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I hate hate hate winter and this winter has been really difficult on my moods. Never been diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder but must have some form of it. I have never tanned in past winters but think I've hit a point where I NEED to try this as a possible crutch to get me through the winter. Anyone else tanning their winter blues away? I'm olive skinned and tan easily and I'm thinking going twice a week??
    I tan once a week in Winter on doc's suggestion for psoriasis. Fringe benefit is it puts me in better mood.

We currently live in the town my hubby's family has lived in for many many generations. We likely will not be moving anytime soon! My hope is to try and carve out a budget to spend some time in the south in winters to come---but that might be years from now! I LOVE Pa---but not during this time of the year. In contrast, my husband LOVES the winter in Pa---but I think that is mostly due to his associations with hunting...and also the bug-less-ness of this time of the year. But he's German/Welsh and his genes are used to the dreary weather I guess!

Rich---that;s what I'm thinking once or twice a week...just to make some D and maintain my mood. I've been taking 5000IUs of D and that doesnt seem to impact me at all...I need it through my skin methinks!

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    When I lived in Chicago, I tanned for a couple of winters - just once a week. It helped A LOT. One of my friends would go to a tanning place and turn on the booth without getting inside... she would sit there and read a book for 20 minutes. She said even this helped - and without the skin cancer scare.

Haven't even thought about tanning beds since I moved to Wyoming... we have sunny skies almost every day despite the cold, and at a mile high elevation, even a few minutes in the sun is all you need. Now when I go back to the midwest I notice how damp, dark and dreary it can be, and it affects my moods.
    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

We lived in Idaho for a year and I do think the altitude was helpful...but the skies still werent super sunny.

I managed to chip out of the icy house and found myself a bed! It was lovely...it's too early to tell how this may or may not help me, but I'm optimistic, so even if it's only helping "in my head" it's likely still going to be worth it. Only 25 bucks for a month too... The owner wasnt there but there was one full-spectrum tanner and I'm going to ask about that next time I go in...although it's not enclosed in a private booth, so maybe it's for the owner's use??

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I live in Alaska and used to tan just a little because it really improved my mood. I've been thinking about starting it up again. I know they aren't "healthy" (depending on the type of bulbs) but they make me feel so much better.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast