Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My workout is better than yours! page 4

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Why do you need bodyweight exercises when you can start with barbell? A competent gym will have barbells appropriate for all level of fitness, and will allow the trainer to teach the core lifts from day one. Start with a low enough weight to learn form, then increase the weight every workout. Bam! The trainee is much stronger. Works every time too.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Why do you need bodyweight exercises when you can start with barbell?
    Because they work the whole body better and people would get som basic conditioning before starting to load up the weights. Pushups is a much better overall exercise than benchpress, and if your are out of shape and fat, lunges with bodyweight or bodyweight squat will be more than enough for the first months. Also less risk for injuries. Of course you could use machines, but they work the core to a lesser extent than bodyweight. And aerob low intensity exercise should anyway be a priority if you are starting to move yourself after 20 years as a couch potato, you need some aerobic basics before doing anaerob stuff like intervalls or weights...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 01-28-2013 at 09:37 PM.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Because they work the whole body better and people would get som basic conditioning before starting to load up the weights. Pushups is a much better overall exercise than benchpress, and if your are out of shape and fat, lunges with bodyweight or bodyweight squat will be more than enough for the first months. Also less risk for injuries. Of course you could use machines, but they work the core to a lesser extent than bodyweight. And aerob low intensity exercise should anyway be a priority if you are starting to move yourself after 20 years as a couch potato, you need some aerobic basics before doing anaerob stuff like intervalls or weights...
    How is doing a bodyweight squat more of a full body exercise than a barbell squat? Also what would be the bodyweight deadlift? Pushups are fine as a stamina exercise, but bench press and overhead press are superior for strength. Pull-ups are great, but not many couch potatoes can do any.

Edit: Barbell squat is actually more full body than a bodyweight squat because your back and abs are strongly involved in stabilizing the spine under load.
    Last edited by quikky; 01-28-2013 at 11:16 PM.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Gorbag, I can understand where you're coming from if you're willing to prescribe proficiency in body weight exercises for anyone before free weights. But otherwise it sounds like you just don't want fat people crowding the place. Not every couch potato is fat, and vice versa. There are not-fat people who can't control their body weight, and there are fat people who can. And for the people who as you put it 'can hardly do a knee push up', well I don't think they would get much out of body weight exercise.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Well, a bodyweight squat and a barbell squat is much of the same and a broomstick should be sufficient for the typical couch potato to start with to get at least 30 bodyweight squats first, no reason to head for the squat rack before that. They could also do burpes, star jumps or bodyweight lunges etc., to get some basic conditioning, that's what I would have done for myself, not head for the bench to lay down and do a few "benchpress" with an 11 lbs. bar every 10 minutes and lying on your back glancing into the roof for the rest of the time. There are plenty of easy bodyweight exercises that can be done in couples also, that will work a basic stamina first, and I very much welcome those activities, before sending a completely out of shape person into the weight rom. Also, some aerobic activities should come first, then anaerobic activities like weights if you need them. Strength training with weights or intervals may actually be a bit dangerous for a very out of shape person before having some aerobic basics firstů

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So this degenerated into exactly what I was ranting about. Lovely.

Mind your own workout. Unless you're a trainer, it's none yo' bidness how other people move so long as they stay out of your way.

Clarification: Unless you're a trainer getting paid to tell a specific client how to work out, it's none yo' bidness. Being a trainer in and of itself doesn't mean you get to tell non-clients why you think the exercise they love actually sucks. Well, you get to I guess, but you're being an ass. I don't go into my friends' homes and tell them they've got their books organized all wrong and I sure as heck don't do it to strangers.
    Last edited by Violette_R; 01-30-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234