Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My workout is better than yours! page 3

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    lol....I was about to say I think this thread is actually dedicated to remarks like that gorbag.
    Word.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    at least these woman are not sitting on their couches.
    Don't be such an ass.
    If the ignorant instructors of those women had been interested in really helping them they had prescribed some bodyweight exercises at least for the first six months before occupying the bench and the squat rack. But to be fair to the Rosa tights woman, the most annoying group in my gym at the moment are the skinny kids doing dumbell exercises in front of the mirror, making it very dangerous to pass them with those lightweight dumbells flying in all directions! Why can’t somebody lure them into doing Cross-Fit instead, would have been much better for everybody…

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Yes but not everyone wants to lift weights.
    Moving, is more important than not.
    Why do you care so much?
    And CrossFit is also not for everyone.
    Its all about doing what you enjoy. They clearly enjoy Zumba, its not for me, but I am not going to make fun of anyone for doing it.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    If the ignorant instructors of those women had been interested in really helping them they had prescribed some bodyweight exercises at least for the first six months before occupying the bench and the squat rack. But to be fair to the Rosa tights woman, the most annoying group in my gym at the moment are the skinny kids doing dumbell exercises in front of the mirror, making it very dangerous to pass them with those lightweight dumbells flying in all directions! Why can’t somebody lure them into doing Cross-Fit instead, would have been much better for everybody…
    Most personal trainers/instructors are not really passionate about their job - they don't really care if you succeed or not. Similarly, most gym goers are not really serious about their workouts, most just drag themselves there to try to lose some weight, or just exercise without any real goals or purpose. So, when you combine the two, often times the workouts are inefficient.

That said, doing some dancing to music, or pilates, or whatever other gym class, is still much better than not exercising. If you're making your body move on a regular basis, you've already taken the first step towards better health, regardless of how great the routine actually is.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    That said, doing some dancing to music, or pilates, or whatever other gym class, is still much better than not exercising. If you're making your body move on a regular basis, you've already taken the first step towards better health, regardless of how great the routine actually is.
    This. Actually there is a book kinda about this The First 20 Minutes: Surprising Science Reveals How We Can: Exercise Better, Train Smarter, Live Longer: Gretchen Reynolds: Amazon.com: Kindle Store . What it boils down to is do just about anything that gets your blood pumping for about 20 minutes and reap the rewards for improved health.

"Almost all of the mortality reductions are due to the first 20 minutes of exercise, which drops your risk of premature death by 20%. (If you triple that minimum level, you drop your risk of premature rate further, but only by another 4%). However, this is true if you're looking for health benefits, but not if your objective is fitness."

We all (I think at least in part) are exercising to be healthy. Well I am. I also exercise for fitness, but when choosing a program simply to be healthier its nice to remember "just move".

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Yes but not everyone wants to lift weights.
    Moving, is more important than not.
    Why do you care so much?
    And that's also exactly my point if you bothered to read what I said; that I welcome everything that can keep people from doing things that they are not really prepared to do anyway. You don't need to lift weights for fitness, especially people that are terribly out of shape, bodyweight may then be a better option for the first months with some cardio. Or "dance therapy", "Zumba", "Aerobics" or whatever that raises your hearth rate and improve some strength. I am NOT against those activities at all, rather we should have more of them, just not for me, but that's me only...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    GOrbag is a douchebag. I took up Starting Strength because my lady aerobics "pump" class was absolutely KILLING me every single week and I was sick and tired of being always so cripplingly sore I couldn't even use the toilet. There only ever was one guy in my class that ever came back a second time, either. The rest simply couldn't do it, the weaklings.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    What the hell are Rosa tights?

Thank you for insulting me sbhikes, not the first time either. Did you think I had YOU in mind or are you only reading other stuff into what I am saying as usual? I am refering to persons that comes directly from a life as a couch-potato that hardly can do a pushup from their knees, that these people will do much better on a program of bodyweight exercises instead of doing benchpress with a broomstick or an empty 11 lbs bar. Weighttraining is simply not the best solution to start out from scratch with, some groundwork in aerobics and bodyweight will be much more optimal as you also did. In the old days when I was a kid the coaches would not let us visit the weightrom at all before we had som background in bodyweight exercises...

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Violette_R View Post
    What the hell are Rosa tights?
    Something like this, perhaps:

rosa.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast