Thread: The perfect grocery list page

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member

The perfect grocery list

Hey everyone! I'm just getting started on this new primal lifestyle thing and I've gotten by for the past two weeks on spinach, broccoli, pork tenderloin, lamb, and brussel sprouts... thankfully I just got my paycheck and I'm ready to go stock up so I can have a full compliment of properly ratio-ed fats and good protein at my disposal...
    If you could do an ideal primal grocery shopping, what would it include? I know I'm going to pick up:

-Coconut oil
    -almonds
    -walnuts
    -frozen wild caught salmon
    -some fresh veggies
    -eggs
    I'm probably going to a farm stand so I can get some nitrate-free bacon and free range chicken... does this seem like it would provide a pretty good mix of nutrients? Also, are frozen veggies any worse than fresh? I don't even know if they're full of salt or preservatives. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Little_Fish is offline Member
    there is a grocery list thread somehwere on here... just do a search.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Here in Australia, regular frozen veggies - just the bags of peas or broccoli or whatever - don't have any additives. They are regarded as a good option - sometimes even better, because they haven't sat in your fridge for a week losing nutrients, but are blanched and snap frozen soon after picking. However watch out for those pre-prepared microwave veggies and such, there's a good chance they are seasoned already so check the ingredients. I don't know what your labeling laws are over there.

Macadamia nuts. Lower in Omega6s, and delicious. I also like Brazil nuts, and maybe some pepitas.

I like Asian greens like Bok Choy and Choy Sum as they are lower in oxalates than spinach.

Bukawww is offline Senior Member
    Here's mine:

Primal Groceries
    Grassfed beef
    Wild Salmon
    Turkey/Chicken
    Uncured bacon
    Beef Jerky
    Local Farm Eggs

Spinach/Spring Greens
    Cucumber
    Green Pepper
    Zucchini/Eggplant
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Avocado
    Grape Tomatoes
    Cilantro
    Onion
    Lime

Olive oil
    Butter
    Almonds
    Cashews
    Macademia
    Pistachios

Craisins
    Fresh fruit of all kinds
    Dark Chocolate
    Almond Milk
    Yogurt

Green Tea
    Macha Tea

This is my list to appease all 5 members of my family...I am limiting dairy and fruit as of right now.

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    Found the previous thread. Thought I'd link it here in case anyone else wanted to read it too:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...t=grocery+list

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen in Oz View Post
    Here in Australia, regular frozen veggies - just the bags of peas or broccoli or whatever - don't have any additives. They are regarded as a good option - sometimes even better, because they haven't sat in your fridge for a week losing nutrients, but are blanched and snap frozen soon after picking. However watch out for those pre-prepared microwave veggies and such, there's a good chance they are seasoned already so check the ingredients. I don't know what your labeling laws are over there.

Macadamia nuts. Lower in Omega6s, and delicious. I also like Brazil nuts, and maybe some pepitas.

I like Asian greens like Bok Choy and Choy Sum as they are lower in oxalates than spinach.
    I did not know that about frozen vegetables. Now I suppose they deserve an apology for me snobbing them all these years. If they have no additives and are snap frozen they are probably better than Coles and Woolworths "fresh" vegetables.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    meat
    whatever veggies are in season
    butter if i need it
    farm eggs
    kefir/yogurt

thats all i buy!

occassionally stock on spice/garlic cloves

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions... my trip last night led to a really tasty breakfast and lunch today. Who knew that fiddlehead ferns would taste awesome?!? I picked up some macadamia oil and pumpkin seed oil as well - I used the macadamia oil on some spinach this morning and it was great, I can't wait to try out the pumpkin seed oil...

Athena is offline Senior Member
    I keep it simple: (for me and my fiance)

2lbs ground beef
    2 packages chicken drumsticks
    2lbs shrimp
    Red Peppers
    Salad Mix
    Brocolli Slaw
    Onions
    Heavy Cream
    Bacon
    LOTS of eggs

end

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I envy you guys who can just shop for yourselves or selves and primal partner. I'm trying to improve my family's diet, but it's going to be a gradual process. Right now I'm sitting here smelling the instant noodles my daughter just ate. And shopping, I was buying biscuits and stuff I knew they'd want. They aren't allowed to have nuts at school anyway.

Today the more primal contents of my cart included -
    Veggies! - Cauliflower, leafy greens, carrots, capsicum (pepper)
    Almond Meal
    Hazelnut meal
    almond butter
    85% cocoa chocolate (lindt)
    bacon
    cream cheese
    organic yoghurt
    frozen raspberries
    tomato salsa

also some frozen seasoned chicken