Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fermenting Vegetables? page

Grokasaurus Pecs is offline Junior Member

Fermenting Vegetables?

So I have my first batch of vegetables fermenting since Wednesday and I have a couple of questions (may have been more logical to ask before starting but too late now!). I have my veg mixture in a mason jar in a brine of 500ml water and 1 tbsp sea salt. They are held down by a stone and the completely covered by the brine. I open the jar twice a day to let the gasses escape but each time I notice just a few tiny bits of vegetable floating near the surface. I just scoop these out but I'm wondering is there any danger of maybe mould growing on these and then contaminating the rest of the jar? Also, when it's time to eat do you just scoop out your serving from the jar (brine and all) and put on a plate or do you rinse the brine off or what? I have included some photos below.

Optimized-CameraZOOM-20130127150116251.jpgOptimized-CameraZOOM-20130127150208527.jpgOptimized-CameraZOOM-20130127150138648.jpg

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Nope no danger....

Eat it brine and all....

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    the wild fermentation site has a lot of good info. My research and experience has shown if you get mold just scoop it off. I also ferment with just a cloth over the bottles so that the natural yeasts and bacterias in my environment can populate my ferments.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    the wild fermentation site has a lot of good info. My research and experience has shown if you get mold just scoop it off. I also ferment with just a cloth over the bottles so that the natural yeasts and bacterias in my environment can populate my ferments.
    Yeah, its a very cool philosophy. I'm with you on that. Same way I do mine. Got some kraut on week three right now in a one gallon crock. Gonna scoop some out for lunch.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Just a cloth, and opening lids. Is this necessary? I left my lids loose, and then I forgot about them. Out of sight, out of mind. I remembered them the other day when I ran out of kraut. I put the date on the lid, 12/something. Tastes great I think.

Just wondering if I would have done these other steps, maybe it would have been even better or safer, or something? I havent done kraut for 20 years until I recently started again last fall, but I don't remember doing anything special before, except putting a potato on the top to weigh it down. I skipped that step this time.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

^No its not "necessary" gopintos: It's just also not necessary to sterilize then lock down the whole production. The brine and inherent bacteria on the veggies do the magic and keep virulent species out. Either way is fine. The wild fermentation book just puts things in a very zen perspective of working with your local environmental microbes rather than making the whole ordeal a sterile overcomplicated event.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    k Thanks good to know. I didnt sterilize either I have problems with the occasional mouse in my pantry, which doubles as my fermentatory (new word?) so the cloth wouldn't be such a good idea.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Wafaa is offline Member
    ^Strelize?
    If there's mould on the very top, just scoop it out and clean the area a bit.

I was taught to make pickles by dissolving enough salt in water to float a raw egg, dumping your preferred vegetables in the brine (A Tbs of vinegar is optional), closing the lid and forgeting about it for a few weeks. Carrot pickles might be my favorite thing ever. I don't usually eat the brine, because the vegetables are salty enough. Just pick them out with a fork. If you feel the need for extra salt, by all means drink the brine

I just realized... is pickling the same as fermenting? 1Tbs in 500ml seems like too little for pickles.
    Last edited by Wafaa; 01-27-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    My art blog.

Grokasaurus Pecs is offline Junior Member
    So it's about 10 days since I started fermenting these and I decided to try them today. I was a bit apprehensive (they didn't look too tempting) but they actually taste really nice! What do I do now? Remove the stone and just put the jar in the fridge and eat away?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday I met an 87 year old lady from Germany.We talked of pickles and Kings.

She said that when she was a child in Germany, in the fall the put freshly chopped cabbage in a wooden crock. They spinkled and mixed some salt in to it and covered it with a round piece of wood on top of the cabbage (not the crock) and a stone on top of that. They added no water. They put the crock under the back stairway (outdoors).

Every 3-4 days someone would go out to see if another or bigger rock was needed. When the cabbage was covered with water it was sauerkruat.

I'd like to try this method sometime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast