Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm confused- white rice? page 3

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    You can have white rice if you wish. For me, it doesn't provide much in terms of taste and texture. I rather have tastier and sweeter carbs.
    I must have old-person taste buds then. I LOVE eating plain rice, maybe adding in a little salt or sugar to intensify its flavor

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    The value of gycaemic index is not difficult to grasp. It's an old idea that's been around for at least a couple of decades.
    There isn't any process in the body that doesn't potentially affect blood sugar, and insulin only accounts for a small percentage of what is seen as "insulin activity."

Because degenerative diseases associated with diabetes, hyperglycemia, et al. are only indirectly related to insulin, the glycemic index serves no use physiologically.

Unless you have another use for it?
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Unless you have another use for it?
    If you want something effective post workout?

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    White rice is inoffensive but isn't exactly good. Potatos provided carbs but with more nutrition.

PaleoPanda is offline Member
    I spent a lot of time in Asia and ate rice without a problem. I do prefer Basmati rice or Japanese sushi rice though as these are lower GI. I am active, and need a few extra carbs on days I work out, or I get the bonk (not got the hang of being fat adapted yet and spend too much time on my bike to go through it) so it's easy to cook a batch of sushi rice and make rice balls filled with salmon or tuna and veg or maki - good on the go pre-workout snack.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Back in older period of Japan, there was a disease called Beriberi. Basically a vitamin B deficiency brought about by eating white (polished) rice instead of brown (unpolished) rice. At the time, brown rice (being unpolished) was poor people food, so it wasn't something you ate regularly if you could avoid it.

If brown rice has much of these "anti-neutrients", whence solving this illness with brown rice?

M.

I was always under the impression that the anti-nutrients bind to minerals, but not necessarily Vitamins.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Ah, good point.

Now the question is: Does brown rice's natural nutrient profile contain enough to cancel the effects of these "anti-neutriants", or will it start stealing from the rest of your meal too?

M.

Yes. And that is what each of us, individually, decide. Which poison are we okay with dealing more?

Viking is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I thought the primal approach toward starches is to use them in moderation and anyone with damaged metabolism, i.e. insulin resistant/diabetic, should proceed with caution, and include starches with other foods that slow the glucose rise in the blood. In other words eat rice or potato with fat like coconut oil or butter, and fiber like vegetables.

So white rice is an acceptable starch for some but it's not really primal (Mark Sisson has written about this a lot), and you only eat it if you need to replace glycogen and are athletic, or have issues with VLC or LC as I did.

Just FYI, the Perfect Health Diet includes what they call "safe starches" but with the warning I just mentioned. The authors say glucose from starch is needed for the body systems that make mucous and saliva. When I have gone VLC I got problems with dry mouth and a dry cough. I tried the Perfect Health Diet idea of adding safe starches and it fixed those problems, but then I stopped losing weight! You have to find the balance where those symptoms are alleviated; for those losing weight eating a little less fat will help.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast