Thread: Intermittent Fasting and Working Out page

wingnut4772 is offline Junior Member

Intermittent Fasting and Working Out

Back in the day I used to work out fasted by default. I worked an afternoon shift so I would wake up, have my coffee, work out and eat breakfast around 12 PM. I was accidentally doing IF and I did great.

Now I work 7AM to 3PM. I really can't fast until I work out now ( around 4PM) so my question is: What am I losing by not working out in a fasted state ?

I usually break my fast around noon with a light meal after about 14 hours.

TIA.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Some will say don't worry about, it's not necessary, others will say that you'll burn more fat if you workout fasted, and you'll have higher hgh levels if you don't eat after that.

Personally, I workout fasted because if I don't I get terrible heartburn. I mean I can't have anything before working out, package of tuna? I don't think so. I also feel more focused when I workout fasted, so it's good for me, but you just need to do what's best for you.

P.S. I often times work out around 4:00 fasted(more or less). If I have a cup of joe in the morning (with cream, or possible bulletproof) I can easily make it past lunch before I really need to eat. Maybe you should try this lightly extended fast, you might like it, and if you need to loose weight it definitely won't hurt.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    It won't make a difference at all.

wingnut4772 is offline Junior Member
    I could try to push it I suppose.

I thought there was more of an HGH release weight training fasted ? No?

P.S. I am a 44 year old female.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I don't think your gonna lose anything. Eat a small meal if you feel like it.

In fact add some randomness. Do some workouts fasted and some not.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I think you're right about the HGH being maximized after weight training, I shouldn't have assumed that that's what we were talking about though.
    Maybe you just need to try an experiment of 1 and see what gives you the best results. The worst that can happen is that you don't have an ideal workout and you learn from that experience. Good luck!

Toshison is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I don't think your gonna lose anything. Eat a small meal if you feel like it.

In fact add some randomness. Do some workouts fasted and some not.
    +1.

No need to make things rigid. Some days I train fasted some days I dont and I can't really tell the difference. There are a bazillion people out there building great physiques that dont IF and there are also people who have built great physiques using IF so that basically says that either way works right? Just up to what is enjoyable to live with. I like it because I like to eat a lot at night and am okay to skip breakfast, I let the workouts happen when they happen.