Thread: Hello and a question... page

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member

Hello and a question...

Primal Fuel
    Hello all! About two months ago, I decided to get back to being healthy and athletic after a three year hiatus. As a happy coincidence, while doing research to figure out the best way to get back in to shape, I stumbled on the Daily Apple blog and I've been reading through all the posts for the past month or so. I was so happy to find a fitness system that makes a healthy diet and exercise an integrated part of your life for clear, well explained reasons!

A little about myself - I'm currently 6'3 and about 330 lbs. I don't know my body fat, but I would say from past experience that it's between 22 and 24% at the moment. I played football and wrestled in high school and continued to play football while picking up rugby in college. I was in pretty great shape, I could bench press 405 lbs and squat 570, run the 40 in 5.2 seconds, and move really well when I was between 295 and 300 lbs.

Fast forward 3 years - I basically stopped working out altogether. I never had a great love for running, and after trying to do 1 or 2 miles a day for a while I just gave up. I also had a very strange idea of what consisted of healthy food - after a few years of hearing that I had to eat 5 (or even 7!) times a day if I wanted to maintain any kind of muscle, I just kind of thought 'screw it' and started eating whatever was around.

Anyways, I've taken the first steps towards primal-ification - I've made a commitment to avoid any foods that come in crinkly wrappers and try to eat only things that actually grew out of the ground and animals that ate the things they were supposed to. Thankfully I live in NH and there will be a lot of awesome fresh veggies and fruits (not to mention chickens, lambs, etc...) available as it becomes summer.

So the question - I know a major part of the primal lifestyle is getting enough sleep/the proper kind of sleep, but I work a job with pretty long hours 5 days a week, and I'm not a morning person at all. If I work out after work, it would be between 9 and 10 PM - will training at night mess up my sleep schedule or throw me off in any way? I know I've heard that working out at night make it harder to sleep, but I haven't been able to find any good information about the subject. Thanks for any help, and I'm looking forward to sharing the success I have with the primal lifestyle!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Try it and see how you do. Personally, I'm a morning person, so I'm up around 6 am and ready to go. Night workouts would kill my sleep. If all else fails, experiment and see how you do best.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    I'd say experiment too, especially as you start feeling the benefits of Primal eating. Who knows? You may eventually find that getting up and knocking out some sprints or bodyweight exercises is a great way to prepare for those long days.

EricMD is offline Junior Member
    I often work out right before bed with no issues. I tend to be the type of person that can fall asleep anytime/anywhere though, so this might not be typical. Give it a shot though. I personally like flopping into bed after a good workout and quick shower.

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all the responses - I'm going to give night workouts a try tonight and see if it throws me way off.

I actually had another question, and I've searched around on the forum for an answer on this one (!) before asking - I'm a pretty big guy, and I'm trying to (ultimately) get back down to the 275-280lb range. As a result, I should, supposedly, be eating at least 275g of protein every day. Damn that's a lot of protein! My only concern is that I will die from being overstuffed with tenderloin and chicken breasts. In the world of PB, is it cool to use protein substitutes (shakes, powders, that isopure stuff, etc) to make up for a deficiency, and are there any brands that anyone could recommend that have an appropriate nutrient profile and fat balance? Thanks!