Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Digestive Enzyme Help page

  1. #1
    SpearCarrier's Avatar
    SpearCarrier is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    42

    Digestive Enzyme Help

    Shop Now
    Hey again everyone, here is another stupid puzzler for you lol. Hope you are all well.

    Basically, I have a coffee with butter to break my fast and it is a beast. I have about 90g of grass fed butter at a time. I KNOW this is a lot, and I know doctor's would freak out. I do this three times a day, so I have 250g of butter a day which makes up the majority of my daily calories - I also have eggs, salmon and other stuff. (I am trying to bulk right now without the use of carbs). I eat one potato at night and that's the only carb source. I could break it into smaller meals, but I only want to eat 4 times a day max. I have also beaten the hell out of Ulcerative Colitis, so I won't change my ways hehe. I am also gaining muscle with no fat right now for the first time in 7 years since I got sick. YAY ME!

    Okay, I take one digestive enzyme with each meal/drink (I don't take enzymes for anything extra I eat, only the butter because of the sheer volume of it). The brand is "Now Foods Super Enzymes"... It has 200mg of betaine, which helps emulcify the fat I believe, but my question is:

    It has 3,400 USP units of Lipase (fat enzyme) in each capsule, Is this enough to digest 90g of fat from each meal/drink? I don't understand the USP units. I don't really want to take two because of the cost, but I also don't want loads of undigested fat sitting around in my gut. Is 90g of butter along with this enzyme way too much for each meal?

    No flaming please, I genuinely need help and will appreciate it

    Love you guys, trust your knowledge!

  2. #2
    Stephanie's Avatar
    Stephanie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    85
    My son had liver disease and couldn't digest fat bcus of the absence of bile...after 4 years of this (he was transplanted 6 months ago) I've became the queen of digestion while working with the Children's liver team and also a naturopathic doc.

    1st: the only digestive enzyme my son was aloud to take was by Life Extension. Children's liver team did a study and the Life Extension is superior to all other enzymes (thought you may want to know that).

    2. No fat can digest with out bile, with that much fat I hope you have a super healthy liver and gallbladder! I think you may be doing more harm than good, imo. Also your liver may not be able to even make enough bile to even digest that much fat at once. The enzymes may help digest fat a little, but it's the bile that really does the big work.

    3. My son always had to take mct oil (modified coconut oil) whenever he ate fat to help it digest. I guess the mct helps it absorb in the small intestine (that's where all fat is absorbed).

    4. your body is producing massive amounts of digestive enzymes until about 11am. After that it slows down, and so should your meals. You may want to double up on the enzymes if your going to be eating the fats after 11am. Also, take a digestive enzyme before bed even if you don't eat.

    I'm not sure about the usp's but yeah 90g of butter is probably not a very smart idea. Your body is not designed to digest that much fat, you only have so much bile in there. Give your liver a break.

    Peace

  3. #3
    ToldUzo's Avatar
    ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    4. your body is producing massive amounts of digestive enzymes until about 11am. After that it slows down, and so should your meals. You may want to double up on the enzymes if your going to be eating the fats after 11am. Also, take a digestive enzyme before bed even if you don't eat.
    Peace
    Do you have a link to an article to back up that statement? Because that would mean that skipping breakfast is a bad idea. And I do that very often and eat my first meal after 11 am. So this makes me curious.
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

  4. #4
    SpearCarrier's Avatar
    SpearCarrier is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by ToldUzo View Post
    Do you have a link to an article to back up that statement? Because that would mean that skipping breakfast is a bad idea. And I do that very often and eat my first meal after 11 am. So this makes me curious.
    I agree, I don't eat until 12pm to reap the benefits of fasting. We were never designed to wake up with an animal next to us, ready to be eaten for two reasons.

    1. It would go rancid
    2. Other predators would be trying to steal it

    We wouldn't have eaten until we got off our butt and hunted something (that's why I exercise hard before my first meal). Also, if we were hunting animals, we probably wouldn't be able to catch fast, lean animals - and therefore would munch our way through a fatter animal with a smaller lean protein ratio.

    Thanks for the response though, I do think you are right about it being too much fat for me to handle - especially until my body adapts to such eating methods.

  5. #5
    SpearCarrier's Avatar
    SpearCarrier is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    42
    Unless you meant 11pm?

  6. #6
    Stephanie's Avatar
    Stephanie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearCarrier View Post
    I agree, I don't eat until 12pm to reap the benefits of fasting. We were never designed to wake up with an animal next to us, ready to be eaten for two reasons.

    1. It would go rancid
    2. Other predators would be trying to steal it

    We wouldn't have eaten until we got off our butt and hunted something (that's why I exercise hard before my first meal). Also, if we were hunting animals, we probably wouldn't be able to catch fast, lean animals - and therefore would munch our way through a fatter animal with a smaller lean protein ratio.
    Dude...come on, really? Humans have been preserving meat for thousands of years, they would use cinnamon, the oldest herb known to man and then other methods like cooling, etc. So maybe we did wake up and pig out? lol.

    I had an autoimmune disease called hashimotos, it's where the body attacks the thyroid and you get severely sick and hypo-thyroid. I worked with a naturopath, who reversed the autoimmune disease with no medication or hormones. My number one thing to do...eat protein with in 30 minutes of waking up. It set my blood sugar for the day, he said, and also made me feel amazing. So maybe there is more to the fasting thing?

    I know eat a little protein with in 30 min. of waking and also drink chaga mushroom tea, which is an old caveman remedy you may want to look into. I love that stuff, makes me feel like super woman, lol.

    I meant 11am. I'm sure you could google it, I know a doctor also talks about this in Suzanne Sommers newest book, Bombshell.

    Peace

  7. #7
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    12,134
    I think that we are far enough removed from caveman times that feed times and hormones and whatever really vary from person to person. Lifestyle is probably the most significant factor.

    If you feel well and your gut function seems normal, I'm sure you're fine, but then again, I don't have a lot of interest in calculating this kind of stuff .
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

  8. #8
    SpearCarrier's Avatar
    SpearCarrier is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Dude...come on, really? Humans have been preserving meat for thousands of years, they would use cinnamon, the oldest herb known to man and then other methods like cooling, etc. So maybe we did wake up and pig out? lol.

    I had an autoimmune disease called hashimotos, it's where the body attacks the thyroid and you get severely sick and hypo-thyroid. I worked with a naturopath, who reversed the autoimmune disease with no medication or hormones. My number one thing to do...eat protein with in 30 minutes of waking up. It set my blood sugar for the day, he said, and also made me feel amazing. So maybe there is more to the fasting thing?

    I know eat a little protein with in 30 min. of waking and also drink chaga mushroom tea, which is an old caveman remedy you may want to look into. I love that stuff, makes me feel like super woman, lol.

    I meant 11am. I'm sure you could google it, I know a doctor also talks about this in Suzanne Sommers newest book, Bombshell.

    Peace
    I had ulcerative colitis and cured that using my methods, which is also an autoimmune disease... I have also got rid of my M.E by 90%, which I am still working on. If I eat first thing then my symptoms come back ten-fold and I have to say goodbye to movement for the day. I guess we are all different.

    Meat preservation would've been of the later-stage paleolithic era - and definitely wouldn't be a good idea if you didn't have decent weaponry. There have been MANY MANY studies done on intermittent fasting lately, it has been snuffed for so long by the medical community but it's effects are just too strong to keep undercover.

  9. #9
    SpearCarrier's Avatar
    SpearCarrier is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    42
    Cinnamon can be high in aflatoxins, I won't touch that.

  10. #10
    Stephanie's Avatar
    Stephanie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearCarrier View Post
    Cinnamon can be high in aflatoxins, I won't touch that.
    We drink cinnamon tea every day. It's the cassia you need to stay away from , ceylon is awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •